Thread: Chinese Filters

Real Name
    Barry

Chinese Filters

Has anyone any experience of using the Chinese filters modelled on the Cokin/Lee system?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Chinese Filters

I use Lee filters so have no direct knowledge of what some of the Chinese filter makers are producing.

Someone on another photo website that I am a member of had mentioned that he was quite happy with the NiSi line, which are a Chinese product.

http://nisidigital.com/en/

A lot of folks at that site use Formatt Hitech filters. The glass Firecrest line seems to be quite popular, but these (like Lee) are out of the UK. I also understand that Formatt Hitech is having trouble filling the product pipeline and these filters can be hard to buy right now.

http://www.formatt-hitech.com/filters/

Real Name
    Barry

Many thanks, Manfred.

Real Name
    Marius Pavel

Chinese filters are all low quality, dont buy them. Also they have flare, loss of resolution and color cast.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by compasiune11 View Post
    Chinese filters are all low quality, dont buy them. Also they have flare, loss of resolution and color cast.
    That is a very broad and inaccurate statement.

Some of the Chinese photo manufacturers are world class and others do turn out substandard products. Nisi filters I have heard some really positive things about, but then, they are priced similarly to products from other high end filter suppliers.

http://www.nisidigital.com/en/home
    Last edited by Manfred M; 18th April 2016 at 03:58 PM.

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by compasiune11 View Post
    Can you provide personal evidence to support this or links to sites where all Chinese filters available worldwide have been tested?

Real Name
    Richard

I know nothing about these filters but, would GUESS that the more expensive Chinese filters are better than the el-cheapo varieties. Same is true regarding Japanese and U.S. made filters.
    The Canon filters are very reasonably priced but, from what I have heard, are not all that great.
    Additionally, there are Hoya filters in all price ranges with the more expensive being the better.
    Tiffen filters used to be the standard of the industry but, from what I have read, are no longer considered as top-line.