Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Brisbane, "the river city"

  1. #1
    Edwin Harvey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Caboolture, Queensland, Australia.
    Posts
    235
    Real Name
    Edwin

    Brisbane, "the river city"

    I took these yesterday morning of the Brisbane skyline & it's famous Story Bridge. Brisbane is Queenslands capital city. I have taken heaps of images of the city in the past, but this is the first time I've taken any using AEB. As per usual I used Photomatix Pro to edit them.

    untitled_panorama4.jpg

    untitled_panorama1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 6th August 2010 at 03:56 AM.

  2. #2
    Klickit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In a bus somewhere in New Zealand
    Posts
    796
    Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

    Re: Brisbane, "the river city"

    Hi Edwin. I hope you don't mind if I add some of mine of the city? We visited for the first time in late March and really loved the place. It has such vibrant life.

    Brisbane, "the river city"

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Brisbane, "the river city"

    Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    Hi Edwin. I hope you don't mind if I add some of mine of the city? We visited for the first time in late March and really loved the place. It has such vibrant life.
    Well I'd like to disagree (I'm like that - contankerous type person and all that) ...

    ... but I can't. I've only been overseas once, and that was to Brisbane ... loved the place

  4. #4
    mastamak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cairns, Queensland
    Posts
    305
    Real Name
    Grant

    Re: Brisbane, "the river city"

    Well, as a regional Queenslander I have a bit of an ambivalent attitude to "Brissy". It is, after all 1700km away and we tend to get a bit parochial when "The Guv'ment" tries to tell us what to do from that safe distance. Nevertheless the city has its attractions and here is my pano of the Brisbane Skyline.

    Brisbane, "the river city"

    Now that I look again at this early attempt at a stitched panorama I can see that one of the buildings look a bit wonky. Hmmm! more attention to detail needed.
    Grant

  5. #5
    Edwin Harvey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Caboolture, Queensland, Australia.
    Posts
    235
    Real Name
    Edwin

    Re: Brisbane, "the river city"

    Looks like I struck a chord, posting my images of Brissy? Brisbane, as The Yanks say; is a beautiful little country town & I tend to agree with them. I live about an hour north of Brisbane, near Woodford, but drive into Brissy every six months or so, just to see how the town has changed while I've been absent. I love walking along the rivers edge early in the morning, taking photos as I go. Thanks for your feedback........Cheers.......Edwin.
    P.S. Next time you're in town & if you're a chocoholic like me, try Darrell Lea's in the Queen St Mall.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Brisbane, "the river city"

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Harvey View Post
    P.S. Next time you're in town & if you're a chocoholic like me, try Darrell Lea's in the Queen St Mall.
    We used to have a dessert house in Christchurch called "Death by Chocolate" - talk about a yummy-sounding name!

  7. #7
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    31,801
    Real Name
    John

    Re: Brisbane, "the river city"

    Great photos, Edwin and Kit.

    Pretty adventurous doing HDR with people included, Kit.

  8. #8
    Klickit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In a bus somewhere in New Zealand
    Posts
    796
    Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

    Re: Brisbane, "the river city"

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Great photos, Edwin and Kit.

    Pretty adventurous doing HDR with people included, Kit.
    There was no HDR in this, just some slightly more than usual Curves tweaks, some dodge and burn. I wanted it to pop and be vibrant, just like the city.

  9. #9
    Klickit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In a bus somewhere in New Zealand
    Posts
    796
    Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

    Re: Brisbane, "the river city"

    When you viewed the Brisbane pano, you may have noticed a very distinctive building to the left of the bridge. It certainly caught my eye. Google says it is the State Law Building, but locals tend to refer to it as the Gotham Tower or Batman's Building, both of which seem to suit it far better.

    Brisbane, "the river city"

  10. #10
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    31,801
    Real Name
    John

    Re: Brisbane, "the river city"

    Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    There was no HDR in this, just some slightly more than usual Curves tweaks, some dodge and burn. I wanted it to pop and be vibrant, just like the city.
    You certainly achieved your goal. Excellent pic!
    !!!

  11. #11
    Edwin Harvey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Caboolture, Queensland, Australia.
    Posts
    235
    Real Name
    Edwin

    Re: Brisbane, "the river city"

    A few more from my Brisbane visit.
    Cheers......Edwin.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Edwin Harvey; 11th August 2010 at 12:54 AM.

  12. #12
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Posts
    9
    Real Name
    Jim

    Re: Brisbane, "the river city"

    Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    When you viewed the Brisbane pano, you may have noticed a very distinctive building to the left of the bridge. It certainly caught my eye. Google says it is the State Law Building, but locals tend to refer to it as the Gotham Tower or Batman's Building, both of which seem to suit it far better.

    Brisbane, "the river city"
    "Gotham Tower" was actually a boring sheer sided building that was refurbished in the early 1990s. They built a gantry around the whole building about 2 stories high at the top, and over the next 6-8 months, the gantry was lowered floor by floor and Gotham came out the business end until it was all transformed into what you see in the image here.
    jim

  13. #13
    Klickit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In a bus somewhere in New Zealand
    Posts
    796
    Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

    Re: Brisbane, "the river city"

    Thanks for that Jim - some interesting detail certainly emerged then.

  14. #14

    Re: Brisbane, "the river city"

    Taken during my brisbane assignment...Brisbane, "the river city"

    Brisbane, "the river city"

  15. #15
    Edwin Harvey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Caboolture, Queensland, Australia.
    Posts
    235
    Real Name
    Edwin

    Re: Brisbane, "the river city"

    I really love the second image mate, the colours are simply stunning. What HDR program did you use to edit it?

  16. #16

    Re: Brisbane, "the river city"

    Thank you. I used Photomatix Pro 3.2

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Harvey View Post
    I really love the second image mate, the colours are simply stunning. What HDR program did you use to edit it?

  17. #17
    triggerhappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Manila, PH
    Posts
    95
    Real Name
    Mark

    Re: Brisbane, "the river city"

    Quote Originally Posted by dnomyar View Post
    Taken during my brisbane assignment...Brisbane, "the river city"Brisbane, "the river city"
    Nice one mon.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Mark

  18. #18
    Edwin Harvey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Caboolture, Queensland, Australia.
    Posts
    235
    Real Name
    Edwin

    Re: Brisbane, "the river city"

    I drove all the way into Brisbane early yesterday, thinking I would spend the day taking some images of The River City, only to find to my horror, that the Brisbane City Council have now placed parking meters where it was once free to park. Anyhow while the parking inspectors weren't looking, I took several HDR images from Kangaroo Point. This is one Pano of which I used 10 tonemapped images. I edited them with Photomatix Pro & stitched them together using Photoshop Elements 8.

    untitled_panorama11.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 27th September 2010 at 10:02 PM.

  19. #19
    mastamak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cairns, Queensland
    Posts
    305
    Real Name
    Grant

    Re: Brisbane, "the river city"

    I like the composition, Edwin. The close cropping and foreshortened image give quite a different aspect to the city. Whilst I am very familiar with Brisbane your photo caused me to for a few minutes to orientate myself. Well done.
    Grant

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Brisbane, "the river city"

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Harvey View Post
    I drove all the way into Brisbane early yesterday, thinking I would spend the day taking some images of The River City, only to find to my horror, that the Brisbane City Council have now placed parking meters where it was once free to park. Anyhow while the parking inspectors weren't looking, I took several HDR images from Kangaroo Point. This is one Pano of which I used 10 tonemapped images. I edited them with Photomatix Pro & stitched them together using Photoshop Elements 8.

    untitled_panorama11.jpg
    Excellent work Edwin. My only comment is that it would be nicer to be able to see it about twice as wide, and twice as high. Happy to host a bigger version for you if you'd like to display it here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •