Thread: Making PS sharpening nondestructive

Real Name
    Dan

Making PS sharpening nondestructive

I don't often recommend videos, but this one I found really helpful. It shows how to turn any sharpening action in PS into a layer separate from the underlying pixels, much as one does with high pass.

http://farbspiel-photo.com/learn/sharpen-smarter-in-photoshop

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Making PS sharpening nondestructive

Interesting idea and well presented. Could be useful. Thanks for posting Dan.

Dave

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

There's an even simpler way that I use. Convert your image into a Smart Object and then use one of the sharpen filters. I tend to use USM most of the time. 100% non-destuctive. In fact most if my workflow is non-destructive. The only caveat is that some of the more complex filters (for instance anything you do in Nik) will re-run multiple times if you continue to work the Smart Object layer.

I've set up ACR to import all my raw data to Photoshop as a Smart Object.

I will duplicate that layer and rasterize it if I need to perform actual destructive edits on the image (dust removal, etc.). This is the same way I approach the complex filter issue, above.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    There's an even simpler way that I use. Convert your image into a Smart Object and then use one of the sharpen filters. I tend to use USM most of the time. 100% non-destuctive. In fact most if my workflow is non-destructive. The only caveat is that some of the more complex filters (for instance anything you do in Nik) will re-run multiple times if you continue to work the Smart Object layer.

I've set up ACR to import all my raw data to Photoshop as a Smart Object.

I will duplicate that layer and rasterize it if I need to perform actual destructive edits on the image (dust removal, etc.). This is the same way I approach the complex filter issue, above.
    The video presents the two methods as quite similar, but at the end, he explains why he believes his method gives more flexibility than using the approach you describe. I now don't recall but will review it this weekend.

Real Name
    Randy Butters

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I don't often recommend videos, but this one I found really helpful. It shows how to turn any sharpening action in PS into a layer separate from the underlying pixels, much as one does with high pass.

http://farbspiel-photo.com/learn/sharpen-smarter-in-photoshop
    I found this very interesting & helpful.

I have used the 'apply image' as an approach to sharpening, per the recommendations I have found in other tutorials. I think the main argument made for this over smart objects is that the results of the sharpening layer will apply to all stacked layers below it, where the smart object filters apply to just that layer. So when this method is used in combination with multiple layers applying different approaches and some masking to composite the results, the sharpening still applies to everything.

I am still not quite comfortable with smart objects, but I think they would be much simpler than this tutorials approach if just working on a single image layer.

Real Name
    Dan

think the main argument made for this over smart objects is that the results of the sharpening layer will apply to all stacked layers below it, where the smart object filters apply to just that layer.
    Right. That was the argument. I think in the example, the presenter created a sharpening layer, then applied a Topaz filter to the base layer. The sharpening layer was then applied to the post-Topaz version.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Thanks for the link, Dan...I normally use USM and tried Nik's Pre-Sharpener as a layer (automatically did it as a layer) a few days ago and thought I found a good one, now you came with a new method. It may be worth a try...I will look into it when we come home rom our trip tomorrow.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Thanks for the link, Dan...I normally use USM and tried Nik's Pre-Sharpener as a layer (automatically did it as a layer) a few days ago and thought I found a good one, now you came with a new method. It may be worth a try...I will look into it when we come home rom our trip tomorrow.
    This is not a different sharpening method. It is a way of separating any sharpening you do in PS, by whatever method you choose, from the base layer. He illustrates it with smart sharpening, but you could do it with USM as well.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Yes, I 'found' this guy quite recently while reviewing how CA correction works - and had subscribed to his YouTube channel.

He's quite good at it.

I find I also often see him do something 'quick an easy' that I didn't know you could do - in this it was 'drag massaging' the opacity in the Layers dialog without actually having a slider visible (at 3:50 - 4:10), this kind of thing is almost impossible to describe well in words (e.g. in a book) is far easier understood when seen.

Thanks for the link Dan.

Cheers, Dave

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Dan - I viewed the video and find the methodology interesting but in spite of what is said, find that this work flow is rather awkward. My workflow is to do the sharpening in a smart object, duplicate and rasterize it to do any healing (spot removals, etc). I do cloning and other operations on another blank layer. If I want to do additional sharpening (in-process sharpening) I use the stamp command <Ctrl><Alt><Shft>e to roll up all the edits into a new top layer. Change that to a smart object, apply the filters I want and then convert to a Smart Object. I add any of the filters / edits and use a layer mask to localize those changes.

It would be much easier to show in a video, rather than in words, but my method is faster, non-destructive and just as effective as what is shown in the video.

The great thing about Photoshop is that there are many different ways to achieve the same results.

Real Name
    Dan

Manfred,

Not having used either, I don't have an opinion yet, but I intend to try both. I like the fact that his method leaves the sharpening layer entirely unattached to anything; you can move it around, modify what is below it, etc. But once I have practiced with both, I may change my mind.

Dan