Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The camera bag dilemma.

Real Name
    Denise.

The camera bag dilemma.

I am soon to go on my second visit to south Africa and Swaziland. Although my smallish Lowenpro back pack worked quite well for me for my last visit I suffered much anxiety worrying about the safety of my gear in the overhead lockers on the various flights. Consequently I have recently invested in a Lowenpro hard case which weighs 3.5 kilograms and is within hand luggage size limits. With my D1700 body, my 100-400 lense and one other lense the total weight is 7KG the maximum weight now allowed. Mysecond camera body and chargers etc etc will have to go in my checked in luggage. I am not certain that an additional small handbag is permitted in addition to 7KG on the various flights( I am travelling South African Airlines from Australia etc) which is a worry as tickets , passport money tablets need to go with me on the plane. My second worry is that being elderly and quite arthritic I now realize lugging around a 7KG load (with no trolley wheels) in various airports will be quite a challenge. I have searched the web for a VERY small light trolley that would fold up very small and perhaps go in my handbag but no luck. I would appreciate any comments or advice.

Real Name
    Robin

Re: The camera bag dilemma.

I think you are over worrying and looking for a solution to a problem that in all reality doesn't exist. I personally have never had a problem using a conventional padded case of flights and I can't recall ever hearing of someone who had. I'd also wager that 99% of photographers use them and have never had an issue.

Yes if you are a full-on pro with a vast kit then invest in a set of Peli cases and check them into the hold (without their batteries - you might want to read up on that) with full insurance etc but otherwise just use your LowePro.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

I have sometimes traveled with carry on luggage only. To keep within the 7 kg limit I have worn a wind jacket with a lens stuffed in a pocket and my camera fitted with another lens around my neck. When I get the bag weighed they have not taken any notice of my clothing or camera. I have done several trips to Australia using this method.

When I went to India I got a backpack that could be carried on. Then made a punched (lots of large holes to reduce weight) fitted aluminium box (no lid) that fitted neatly inside the pack. I had been told that bags could be slashed to steal the contents. It never happened to me but the metal box would have prevented it. I padded the box with bits of foam which protected my gear. I needed to open it up a few times as it bewildered the x-ray operators. However unless you have access to a sheet metal workshop this does not help you...

I have seen either attachable wheels or lightweight trolleys but unfortunately can not recall where but I am pretty certain they are made. Hopefully you will get a more informative post.

What ever you end up doing have a great trip.
    Last edited by pnodrog; 12th March 2016 at 08:53 AM.

Real Name
    Dan

A number of manufacturers make roller bags for photographic equipment, although some are quite expensive. For example, Think Tank makes some, and I believe other manufacturers do as well.

The individual airlines should be able to tell you their own specific guidelines. Be sure to tell them which airports you are using. Once when I used Heathrow for a change in flights, I found that at that time, the airport's guidelines for a second carry-on were more stringent then either of the other airports I was using on that trip (Berlin Tegel and Boston Logan).

My biggest concern with carrying photo equipment on board is the risk of not having space to stow the bag. The more people the airlines cram into the cabin, and the more they charge for checked bags, the worse this problem has become. If you are traveling business or first, this is less of a risk, as there are fewer people per cubic meter of space in the bins. It happened to me when I traveled last year, coach class, from Boston to San Francisco, with expensive equipment in a Tamrac backpack, which would not have offered enough protection for checked baggage. The plane was full, and I was assigned to the last boarding category. Fortunately, one of the stewardesses greeting passengers was a photographer. I told her the problem, and she stowed my bag in first class, where there was room. I asked a steward for the same favor on the return, and he agreed.

Real Name
    Richard

I purchased a Lowepro rolling bag for a trip to Chine but found out that the weight limit for carry-on bage on internal China flights was so low that the bag was just about all I could bring, without contents.

I reverted to my Lowepro Mini Trekker AW backpack which, if carefully packed, can hold a pair of 7D cameras and three lenses (17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 12-24MM Tokina f/4 and 70-200mm f/4L IS) along with batteries, CF Cards and a pair of flashes. I also carried a Canon 1.4x TC (which turns my 70-200mm lens into a 98-280mm f/5.6).

I have recently purchased a 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II lens but, would have serious reservations regarding carrying this lens on a trip, unless I had a specific need such as wildlife, for this lens. The lens is pretty darn heavy, and I would not look forward to lugging it all over the world. My 70-200mm f/4L IS igives me enough reach for most of my shots but, the extra 1.4x can help in a pinch...

I always travel wearing a photo vest and can transfer items from the backpack to the vest when checking on an airline - if the backpack is too heavy. I think that you could also get away with carrying the heavy 100-400L lens on a camera around your neck when checking on the flights...

I NEVER send expensive gear as checked on luggage.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Camera bags are a bit like purses, suitcases, shoes, etc. there is no one size fits all solution and you likely need to look at a solution that meets your needs for a specific purpose. I happen to like backpack styles when traveling by air as it gets the gear out of my hands so that I can carry the equipment safely on my back and leaves my hands free for luggage. On a roadtrip, or if I backpack, then a should sling case is more important as my back has other things in place. I also have a carry-on sized rollaboard case that is what I will use when I go a bit more equiment heavy, but I also need a secondary smaller case to go with it (I own five camera cases, but two of them rarely get used).

For other equipment I also have a couple of large, heavy duty hard plastic Pelican cases, but these are used for my lighting gear.

Real Name
    Dave

Hi Denise,

For what it's worth, I am on my way home from South Africa. We've just taken an internal SAA flight, and no-one even noticed my wife's handbag, which is generous but not stupidly so, and would certainly accommodate a prime

For my last couple of Africa trips, I've used a Lowepro backpack, which has been absolutely fine in protecting my gear, in overhead lockers, safari trucks, and so on.

Dave

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Hi Denise,

For what it's worth, I am on my way home from South Africa. We've just taken an internal SAA flight, and no-one even noticed my wife's handbag, which is generous but not stupidly so, and would certainly accommodate a prime

For my last couple of Africa trips, I've used a Lowepro backpack, which has been absolutely fine in protecting my gear, in overhead lockers, safari trucks, and so on.

Dave
    On the other side, the only time I've ever had a problem with camera gear was on a flight from Jo'burg to Windhoek, Namibia. The South African Airlines gate agent stuck to the rule book. There are no guarantees...

Real Name
    Denise.

Hi Dave. You gave me advice prior to my last trip to south Africa and Zambia two years ago. It was an amazing trip. I must say the small back pack worked reasonably well. I may rethink . I have just spent 260 $ (Aust) on this jolly hard case.

Real Name
    Denise.

Thanks for all your advice and information you guys. I am starting to think perhaps I had better stick with my Lowepro back pack. I stupidly went out and bought this expensive hardcase (though and have about a dozen other bags that never get used). As if I can afford it (not !) . I am determined to take my 100- 400 lense as I am only interested in animals , birds and the odd landscape and got some amazing shots last time..I also have a second older Nikon (D90) and 18-200 lense which I took last time and was useful but used less. This time I am wondering whether to take my smaller lighter Lumix FZ 300 instead of the D90. Perhaps one of you may be able to offer an opinion on that too.

Real Name
    Denise.

I just posted on of my Africa pics. I don't know where it has gone!!

Real Name
    Denise.

Manfred . I Would be interested to hear how you managed the problem.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Geranium View Post
    Manfred . I Would be interested to hear how you managed the problem.
    Repacked non-vital stuff and had them put that bag into the aircraft hold. Several camera lenses went into pockets. It took some juggling, but we managed. I have definitely been traveling lighter since that time.

Real Name
    Denise.

Hi Paul thanks for your suggestions and ideas. I did think of putting some styrene foam around the inside of my back pack.. for protection rather than it being cut.I have been all over on foot and online looking for a super light weight trolley but no luck. I also thought of having removable wheels attached to my hard case I'm still thinking if thats possible or worth the trouble. the other idea i have had is to use a thing called a shopping bag on wheels - not a shopping trolley but simply a large cloth bag with handles and the bag has two wheels on the base. I thought Ii could put my hard case in that to drag it around the airports and then roll the bag up and put it in my hand bag.... if it will fit. Still worried about total weight though in that scenario- hard case 7 Kg plus largish handbag. One never knows for sure whether they will calculate total weight or ignore the handbag.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Denise - have you looked at the low cost, collapsible luggage carts?

Example: http://www.amazon.com/Kole-Imports-P...096HPCAETK5KX9

Real Name
    J stands for John

Easier to organise than a sheet metal box as I did for my first trip away [ NZ-USA ] is wire mesh which was suggested for S American travel to frustrate knives
    Now I have been using MFT for a couple of years I would definitely leave the DSLR and FZ300 at home and get something like a GH2 with the 14-40 lens... just over 800g so plenty of weight allowance for everything else. Alternatively I would just take the FZ300 as I did my FZ50 previously. Last trip I did was with a knap-sack and camera in its own bag inside and plenty of room for under wear, medications etc and the knapsack* was still half empty which makes stowing easy. [ Passport, money, tickets, in bum-bag worn on front ... nice leather one I found in Vancouver on that first trip. ]
    * sort of thing children use to go to school with bought in New Orleans. wife bought matching one too

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Mysecond camera body and chargers etc etc will have to go in my checked in luggage.
    FWIW I do not think this is a good idea, Denise...you may trust the Aussie authorities not to touch that, but a second camera body will have to go with you in your person, in your carry on. Get a fisherman's vest and put some stuffs e.g., batteries, filters, cleaners, etc. to free your packed luggage if necessary. Just a thought -- I never trust our TSA people here to inspect my bags at all. Aussie ones are friendlier.

Real Name
    Yes

I have a wire mesh cage designed to make rucksacks secure, made by pacsafe. This is quite light but is secure and will take my large backpack. It is padlocked and can be secured to something - in hotel a radiator is good. I use it especially when leaving the pack in my hotel room in the evening. The same company makes a strong small back with wire included for carrying documents etc - even the strap has a wire to stop cutting. I also have a small steel lined bag they design for leaving small valuables in hotel rooms etc. which can be closed and attached to say a radiator for security.

Real Name
    J stands for John

The advantage of the FZ50 is that it doesn't trombone its lens to zoom and seems safe enough to carry a telephoto adaptor which gives me about 750 with my small one and 950mm AoV with my large one [ which I have never taken away flying with me ]. I follow the same approach with my MFT 14-140 using the smaller Olympus TCON which gives me 500mm and a larger sensor to crop from. The small adaptor in its bag is about the size of my clenched fist.
    While a converter is smaller the adaptor doesn't require one to 'change' lens in the field ... it depends on ones priorities

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    I think you are over worrying and looking for a solution to a problem that in all reality doesn't exist. I personally have never had a problem using a conventional padded case of flights and I can't recall ever hearing of someone who had. I'd also wager that 99% of photographers use them and have never had an issue.
    +1

Additionally you are forfeiting 3.5kg of carry-on weight.

. . . My second camera body and chargers etc etc will have to go in my checked in luggage.
    I'd discourage that - chargers, cables and reader stay with me - they're light weight.

Also NO batteries in your hold luggage.

. . .This time I am wondering whether to take my smaller lighter Lumix FZ 300 instead of the D90. Perhaps one of you may be able to offer an opinion on that too.
    I do that for my personal travel/holiday. I use one DSLR and take a smaller camera as the back-up. For many years I used to take two DSLR/SLR bodies on holidays, but with the advances in the quality of smaller digital cameras I find no need to carry two larger bodies now.

To your Original Post:

I use a Lowe-pro Slingshot, A Slingshot is not everyone’s cup of tea: it places an offset weight on one shoulder, but on the other hand can easily be carried in front. I do not put my slingshot in the overhead locker – it fits snug under the seat in front and is a nice foot rest - and I can feel it.

My travel kit is based upon a 5D Series DSLR and one main working zoom lens, usually that is the 24 to 105/4L IS, but for a trip like yours I would use a longer telephoto lens and probably also swap to an APS-C Body to leverage the narrower FoV. I usually take one other lens, typically being a fast Prime (most often 35/1.4L) or occasionally an wider zoom (e.g. 16 to 35/2.8) and on the odd occasion an additional speciality lens (e.g. 15/2.8 Fisheye). My back-up camera is either a Canon Powershot, if a zoom and/or telephoto lens are required, or a Fuji x100s if telephoto is not a big priority.

Packed:
    The camera bag dilemma.

Unpacked:
    The camera bag dilemma.

That kit has been over the carry-on weight a few times and my workaround has been to remove the DSLR and the main zoom lens and then to carry that on as “my camera in hand” which is OK for many flights/airlines.

Interestingly, Qantas (domestic leg as part of international journey) has been the most annoying for me - so now I also carry an hard copy of the baggage/carry-on restrictions and terms and conditions.

I note that Qantas has recently changed their wording to include the word ‘small’ as a descriptive of the camera, viz.: ”In addition to your carry-on baggage allowance, you may also carry on board one small personal item such as a handbag, laptop computer*, overcoat, small camera, a reasonable amount of reading material or a small amount of duty free goods (where permitted)".

Consequently and if necessary, I’ll just put the DSLR and lens in my handbag. I think that an handbag is always a very useful accoutrement for a Bloke to carry, when flying.

WW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast