Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Next semester's project

Real Name
    Pops

Next semester's project

I teach photography classes for the local home school association. This next semester I will have some returning for their third semester, so I have to be a bit creative in figuring out assignments for them. I'd like some of you to run for a week or so with one I think could work. I'm looking for feedback in this thread to see if any would be interested. If so, I'll start another thread and we can run with it.

Turn in two pictures. When you see something which you think will be worthy of photographing, take a picture of it from that vantage point, IMMEDIATELY!. Then, move about, frame it, compose it, get the right angle, perspective, exposure and all such. Make it the best you can. Take that picture.

What we are looking for is two fold. What caught your eye. What you then did with that first inspiration.

Pops
    Last edited by PopsPhotos; 1st August 2010 at 10:05 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Next semester's project

Lesson 13 Composition Errors

Next semester's project
    Last edited by McQ; 26th August 2010 at 08:59 PM.

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Pops,

I too teach an introduction to natural light photography, as well as run one-day workshops. I introduce both camera technique as well as an understanding of light and composition. I think your project sounds good.

I would be more than happy to participate in a trial if that is what you are seeking here.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Pops, I'll do my best to help you out, but have a busy week coming up. I usually take the cam with me when we go anywhere, so an opportunity may raise its head. Sorry about a lukewarm response, but you know how life goes - either full on, or full stop.

Real Name
    Wendy

Count me in Pops, as long as there are no deadlines.

Wendy

OK, Pops, I'll give it a go. One thing though - when we take the second shot can we go back at a later time to re-shoot it so we get better light etc? I only ask because light can make a huge difference to a shot. Obviously can't do that if it's something non-static.

Real Name
    Pops

That is what I'm seeking here, is a few people to participate over a week or two, to see how it goes. Mostly curiosity, but also to get me looking at "catch" vs "picture." I would think each of us could put up 2 or 3 sets and get a good idea of how it will work.

Pops

Real Name
    Pops

Ok, that makes 4 now. that's great. That is what I'm seeking here, is a few people to participate over a week or two, to see how it goes. Mostly curiosity, but also to get me looking at "catch" vs "picture." I would think each of us could put up 2 or 3 sets and get a good idea of how it will work.

Rob, if you want to go back later and get a better shot, that would be great, because that would be part of the "make it the best you can" exercise. I'd rather they weren't too far apart, though, just because of the time constraints of this test.

I'll let this ride another day or two and then start the entry thread.

Pops

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

OK,

I'll see what I come up with (no promises though).

Cheers,

Real Name
    Steve

I'm always doing this in a sort of way anyway. I generally go walkies to do a specific photo idea I've seen from a previous walk and look for new ideas on the way, to be my next project, or I go somewhere special once every couple of weeks and take a lot of photo's, but because I can't get far it tends to be the same places and another attempt to improve on what I did.

Can't promise anything because I don't carry a camera all the time and mostly I've seen everywhere local but I will give it a try.

Real Name
    Steve

Well I can't find the landscape one anymore.

I've done a few and this is the first; on entry

Next semester's project

First composition

Next semester's project

Second composition
    Next semester's project

A lot of problems with high ev span as usual, I can't find the appropriate landscape version so I assume they are posted here now.

Real Name
    Pops

I was going to wait another day, but let's get this thing going. I now have a thread in Nature & Architecture (and everything else) bucket for this week's entries. If you don't get anything for a given week, don't worry about it.

Thank you all for offering to participate. If anyone else wants to join in at any time, please do.

Pops

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    A lot of problems with high ev span as usual, I can't find the appropriate landscape version so I assume they are posted here now.
    Hi Steve, (and Pops)

Ooops, that's probably my fault; my small brain couldn't cope with two threads with identical titles and first posts, (even if in different fora) so I amalgamated the two sets of replies into one thread here.
    Possibly it would have been better in General Photography Discussion, but if I move it there now, even more people will get confused.

Sorry,

Real Name
    Pops

No problem, Dave. I thought Nature & Architecture, because it is where we more often see themed threads, such as the triangle, circle and such.

Pops

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    No problem, Dave. I thought Nature & Architecture, because it is where we more often see themed threads, such as the triangle, circle and such.
    In hindsight, I ditched the wrong one

Real Name
    Pops

It worked. Don't knock it. I like things that work.

Pops