Thread: Mountain Shelter

Real Name
    Sam

Mountain Shelter

This photo shows the shelter on Sharp Top mountain. Sharp Top is part of the Blue Ridge mountains in Virginia. I like the sky, mountains, shelter and rocks but some may say there are too many elements in the photo. C&C and suggestions welcome. Thanks for viewing. Best seen in LiteBox.

Mountain Shelter
    f/14 1/80sec ISO-100 24mm D-750

Mountain Shelter

Real Name
    Simon

Re: Mountain Shelter

Great shot Sam, both conversions have their merits. I like the foreground in the colour image, but prefer the sky and background in the b&w. My personal preference is the colour - I think it has more potential. I'd be tempted to take out the blue cast on the land towards the horizon and make this a little more contrasty. The b&w may benefit from some selective burning in the foreground to make the building pop a little more.

Edit- I've just re-read your post and seen that they are the blue ridge mountains - so maybe the blue cast shouldn't be removed.

Real Name
    Binnur

I prefer the color version Sam, it looks very nice

Real Name
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by ionian View Post
    Great shot Sam, both conversions have their merits. I like the foreground in the colour image, but prefer the sky and background in the b&w. My personal preference is the colour - I think it has more potential. I'd be tempted to take out the blue cast on the land towards the horizon and make this a little more contrasty. The b&w may benefit from some selective burning in the foreground to make the building pop a little more.

Edit- I've just re-read your post and seen that they are the blue ridge mountains - so maybe the blue cast shouldn't be removed.
    We share similar preferences. I've also attempted to remove the blue cast on the land toward the horizon. The results did not look very good as my techniques are not that good. But to your point, they are the Blue Ridge mountains and even on a clear day they look very much like that. I just check out the window to make sure :-). Thanks for your comments Kent, I am glad you like the shot.

Real Name
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    I prefer the color version Sam, it looks very nice
    Thanks Binnur!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Wonderful composition!

I think the color version is pretty darn close to its full potential though I agree with Simon that the blue cast in the hazy area is a bit much.

I think the monochrome is not as close to its full potential. Consider converting using a red filter, darkening the foreground rock formations and brightening the shelter.

Real Name
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Wonderful composition!

I think the color version is pretty darn close to its full potential though I agree with Simon that the blue cast in the hazy area is a bit much.

I think the monochrome is not as close to its full potential. Consider converting using a red filter, darkening the foreground rock formations and brightening the shelter.
    Thanks a bunch Mike! I'll give your suggestions on the monochrome a try and if I have any luck I will post a revised image.

Real Name
    John

Nicely captured, both work well.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I too like the composition and the coloured version. It has more oomph than the B/W perhaps because I am more interested in the location of the house here. With all those rocks surround the building, how much window area does it have up front to see the scene, if ever. Not much backyard either and all three sides of the house has only rocks to look at? Doesn't that feel constricting to the people living in that place? Well, I am guessing, but that location will bother me as I am one of those that like a lot of space around me.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Both are superb; yet emotionally inclined more to color