Thread: WACOM Tablets

Real Name
    André

WACOM Tablets

I have a Graphire 3 Wacom tablet. It came with a pen and a mouse. The pen is pressure sensitive with 1024 different levels but does not detect tilt. The working area of the tablet is 6 in x 8 in. The tablet is over ten years old and is becoming temperamental! Up to now I have been very satisfied with it.

I have been looking for a replacement and am torn between the Intuos Pro (small) and the Intuos Pen and Touch Art (medium). The Pro is at the top end of my budget. My main concerns with it are firstly the small size of the sensitive area and secondly the usefulness of the tilt feature.

I would appreciate reviews on these two aspects from members who use the small pro.

Andre

Re: WACOM Tablets

When I upgraded a very old large Wacom last year I faced exactly the same questions.

Eventually I settled for the Intudos Pen & Touch Medium which has worked fine for me; about 10 x 6 ins. I wouldn't want anything smaller but the pro alternatives seemed to have quite a bit of features which I would never use. Simplicity of operation but with good quality results was my chief criterion.

My main use is creating selections and brushing in masks etc for photo editing. Possibly someone who wants something chiefly for artistic drawing etc may want alternative features.

Real Name
    John

I currently use an Android tablet, are there any restrictions on file sizes with the Wacom tablet?

Real Name
    Dave

I have an Intuos Pro small.

I am happy with the size because I can cover the whole area with just hand movement. I do hear concerns about size, but do remember that the tablet maps to the screen, so if you need finer control just increase the image magnification to what you need.

Can't help with "tilt"

Dave

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Andre - sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Yesterday, no internet for most of the day and today, no power. This is India...

I'm a long time user of the Intuos 3 6 x 8 tablet and recently replaced it with the Intuos Pro Small. The tilt feature make the stylus act the same way as a pencil. Hold it vertically, and you get a thin line, go horizontal and you get a wider line. Useful, but not critical for Photoshop work. The wireless use is wonderful and the way I have set it up is so that I can change brush size and hardness by pressing the switch and dragging the stylus sideways or up and down. That really speeds up my workflow versus having to reach over to the keyboard and use the keyboard shortcuts.

I never considered anything other than the Intuos Pro line of tablets, so I can't comment on them.

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    When I upgraded a very old large Wacom last year I faced exactly the same questions.

Eventually I settled for the Intudos Pen & Touch Medium which has worked fine for me; about 10 x 6 ins. I wouldn't want anything smaller but the pro alternatives seemed to have quite a bit of features which I would never use. Simplicity of operation but with good quality results was my chief criterion.

My main use is creating selections and brushing in masks etc for photo editing. Possibly someone who wants something chiefly for artistic drawing etc may want alternative features.
    Thank you Geoff.

I am quite confident that the Intuos Pen & Touch Medium would be adequate for my purpose since it is approximately the same size as the one I am using now plus it has the Touch feature which I think would be useful. My dilemma is that the Intuos Pro has additional features that I could use. If I had an unlimited budget I would go for the Pro Medium but the Pro Small is all that I can afford. I hesitate to trade the larger size for the additional features. I was hoping to hear from users of the smaller tablet to get their experience with it.

Andre

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I currently use an Android tablet, are there any restrictions on file sizes with the Wacom tablet?
    John,

I think that you and I are talking about a different kind of tablets. The Wacom tablet is not a computer but a drawing tablet that replaces the mouse on a computer.

Andre

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    I have an Intuos Pro small.

I am happy with the size because I can cover the whole area with just hand movement. I do hear concerns about size, but do remember that the tablet maps to the screen, so if you need finer control just increase the image magnification to what you need.

Can't help with "tilt"

Dave
    Thank you Dave. That is what I was hoping to hear regarding the usefulness of the smaller size.

andre

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Andre - sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Yesterday, no internet for most of the day and today, no power. This is India...

I'm a long time user of the Intuos 3 6 x 8 tablet and recently replaced it with the Intuos Pro Small. The tilt feature make the stylus act the same way as a pencil. Hold it vertically, and you get a thin line, go horizontal and you get a wider line. Useful, but not critical for Photoshop work. The wireless use is wonderful and the way I have set it up is so that I can change brush size and hardness by pressing the switch and dragging the stylus sideways or up and down. That really speeds up my workflow versus having to reach over to the keyboard and use the keyboard shortcuts.

I never considered anything other than the Intuos Pro line of tablets, so I can't comment on them.
    Thank you Manfred,

That I very useful information that will likely push me towards the Pro rather than the Pen & Touch. I take it that you agree with Dave and do not consider the small size to be a problem when using the tablet.

Andre

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Round Tuit View Post
    . I take it that you agree with Dave and do not consider the small size to be a problem when using the tablet.
    I actually find it to be an advantage, as I use fine finger and wrist motion to control the way I use the tablet, much like someone would do if they were doing a pen & ink drawing (small fine strokes) as opposed to someone painting a large canvas with a brush or palette knife. I find I work the same way that Dave describes and will magnify the part of the image I am working on for even more precise, detailed work.

One problem you might run into; I ordered it from the computer dealer (RB Computing in Bell's Corners) I usually buy from and they came back telling we that the product had been discontinued by the Canadian distributor. I was luck and the Kanata Canada Computers had one in stock; that was about 2 months ago.

Real Name
    John

John,

I think that you and I are talking about a different kind of tablets. The Wacom tablet is not a computer but a drawing tablet that replaces the mouse on a computer.

Andre
    Hi Andre,

It would appear so.

Real Name
    John

A tablet is the way to go I guess. I have a Wacom but sad to say, I have never taken the time to become familiar with it. I have always used a mouse and as a solution to fine work (where I guess a tablet would come into its own), I use a gaming mouse. Altering the speed to the low end makes much easier to make the finer adjustments.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I am late to this and I haven't read the whole thread. I'm sure there's lot of good and helpful comments. But can I just quickly add something in relation to two things I noticed

I actually find it to be an advantage, as I use fine finger and wrist motion to control the way I use the tablet, much like someone would do if they were doing a pen & ink drawing (small fine strokes) as opposed to someone painting a large canvas with a brush or palette knife.
    I would totally endorse that. That's the way I use my my now very old Wacom Bamboo. No need for big arm strokes. It's all just wrist and fingers. So easy

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    A tablet is the way to go I guess.
    I would say - indisputably. Once you do take time to familiarise yourself and become comfortable using the tablet, you will never, NEVER, return to using a mouse for post processing work. It is, truly, like night and day.

Real Name
    André

I actually find it to be an advantage, as I use fine finger and wrist motion to control the way I use the tablet, much like someone would do if they were doing a pen & ink drawing (small fine strokes) as opposed to someone painting a large canvas with a brush or palette knife. I find I work the same way that Dave describes and will magnify the part of the image I am working on for even more precise, detailed work.
    I work much the same way so what you are saying just tipped the balance. Intuos Pro it will be.

One problem you might run into; I ordered it from the computer dealer (RB Computing in Bell's Corners) I usually buy from and they came back telling we that the product had been discontinued by the Canadian distributor. I was luck and the Kanata Canada Computers had one in stock; that was about 2 months ago.
    RB Computing is where I buy all the bits and pieces to build my computers. They only have the large Intuos Pro available at the moment. However, Best Buy of all places carries the small one for $290.

Andre

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    A tablet is the way to go I guess. I have a Wacom but sad to say, I have never taken the time to become familiar with it. I have always used a mouse and as a solution to fine work (where I guess a tablet would come into its own), I use a gaming mouse. Altering the speed to the low end makes much easier to make the finer adjustments.
    John,

Once you get used to a tablet (and it doesn't take long) you can never go back to using a mouse.

Andre

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I am late to this and I haven't read the whole thread. I'm sure there's lot of good and helpful comments. But can I just quickly add something in relation to two things I noticed

I would totally endorse that. That's the way I use my my now very old Wacom Bamboo. No need for big arm strokes. It's all just wrist and fingers. So easy

I would say - indisputably. Once you do take time to familiarise yourself and become comfortable using the tablet, you will never, NEVER, return to using a mouse for post processing work. It is, truly, like night and day.
    Donald,

Thanks for confirming that a smaller tablet is the way to go. And you are right - I would never ever go back to using a mouse for photo editing.

Andre

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Donald,

Thanks for confirming that a smaller tablet is the way to go. And you are right - I would never ever go back to using a mouse for photo editing.

Andre
    It's certainly the right thing for me. I know there are many who want/need the larger units (they wouldn't be made if they didn't have a purpose and a market), but for my sort of work, I find the smaller one far better.