Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon 6D faulty multi-controller button

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Canon 6D faulty multi-controller button

Hi all,

Today I got some bad news about my camera. Hopefully someone can give me some advice on what to do.

I have a Canon 6D which is a few months out of warranty (2 years in Europe) and the down-button of the rear multi-controller has stopped working. I took it to an authorized Canon service centre (in Spain) and the person there said that the body has to be replaced, which would cost €500. The person then offered me an annual maintenance contract for the body plus the Canon 24-105 L lens, for €461 per year (renewable yearly), and said that they would repair it within that maintenance contract. So effectively they are substituting the maintenance service of the body plus lens for the cost of repairing a faulty button in the multi-controller.

Or so they say.

A quick search on the Internet showed me that the body doesn't have the multi-controller fixed to it. (See this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy4l5_Yv4QU)

And the rear back cover with button part replacement is for sale on ebay for US$147 (see http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Rea...-/301374740720)

So is the authorized Canon service center taking me for a ride? Perhaps they didn't really mean "body"...

I'm game enough to buy the back cover and replace it myself. Has anyone done that, and is there anything I should know before I try? (I'll do it with a professional photographer friend who is either as foolish/brave as me or is more competent.)

And regarding the authorized service centre: I intend to call them and ask them to give me a written quote for repairing the camera. Then I'd like to ask them more details about the repair, and tell them that I have seen the part that needs replacing for sale on ebay for only $147, and that it is NOT the body. If they revise their quote in light of that information, then perhaps I'll have them repair it; otherwise I think I'll do it myself, and report them to Canon Spain and the Consumer Advice Bureau.

Regards

Tony

Real Name
    Ken

Re: Canon 6D faulty multi-controller button

The controller and review button on my 5D Mk 2, was playing up intermittently causing the LCD to flash, not able to review images etc. After the second visit to the authorised Canon repairer, the printed circuit behind the buttons on the LHS at the back was replaced, working good as new. Cost from memory about $NZ125 (€70). Put paid to my idea of having to buy a new 5D Mk3!

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Re: Canon 6D faulty multi-controller button

Hi Ken,

Good old Kiwi honesty. How refreshing. And how I miss that (as a Kiwi myself).

Tony