Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Becky

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Becky

This fall I did a senior shoot with a very beautiful young lady. What I found hardest was directing - what I wanted her to do and posing - how I wanted her to do it.

The other thing I found hard to do was to remember to shoot wide - to leave enough room in the frame for cropping at different dimensions than the standard 2X3. So some of these I may have to go back and get creative with adding more width to allow for 8X10 prints. Not looking forward to that.

If any of you have suggestions? Please feel free also to critique my PP. I have not cropped these pictures, nor do I intend to until after Becky and her parents decide which ones they want.

Becky

Becky

Becky

Becky

Becky

Becky

Marie

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Becky

I don't do people so have no input on the technical aspects of your shots. Simply as a viewer they look pretty darn good. The side lighting in a couple of them is a bit harsh on the face. But not enough to bother the average non-photographer. You did good with the "directing" aspect of things. As you've already said you didn't leave much working room for cropping to different aspect ratios if desired.

She's a pretty girl and overall I'd say you did her justice with your shots. Nice job.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I'm in Dan's camp in all respects.

The only thing I can add: The lighting on the hair is perfect in the first one. In image #5 there are a lot of distracting direct reflections (glare) in the background. Using a polarizer would have solved that issue. Consider adding very small amounts of vignettes, such small amounts that you would only notice once they are missing.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

As Dan and Mike have said, you have produced a nice set of shots. With the directing, let me assure you the first time is the most difficult and it does get easier, the more you do it. Over time your will develop a directing style that works for you and more importantly, your subjects. You won't want to direct everyone exactly the same way.

When I look at your metadata, I'm a bit puzzled by some of the settings you are using, especially with regard to exposure compensation. All of these images look like they are shot in conditions where you don't require any. Even when I shoot snowscapes, I find my EC tends to run +1 to +2; a lot of these shots are at +1.

I would avoid shooting in the conditions you see in shot #1 and shot #6 in the lighting conditions you are working under. You are getting mottling of shadows and highlights that are difficult to deal with. Closed shade would be my preference for these types of shots, but that looks impossible for #6. I also find the faces a touch too dark and would do a bit of dodging to brighten her face in both shots.

The rest of the shots are clean from that standpoint. I find the face a bit too light in #3 and #4, so I would fix that in post as well. Where I have a bit of an issue with all the shots other than the B&W is the inconsistent colour temperature. Shot #!, #4 and #6 are quite warm (and while I tend on the warm side with portraits, I find these a bit too yellow). Shot #2 is closer to neutral and shot #5 tends to the cool tones. The easiest way to handle this situation is to take a shot of a gray card every time you start shooting in a location and use that to white balance. Every time you change locations, shoot the gray card again. You should be able to visually bring them closer in PP.

I'll also agree with Mike on the very slight vignette, as that will help pull the viewer's eyes into the image better and I'd give the polarizer a shot too. I use it to kill the reflection off leaves / grass in landscape work, but remember that this will cost you at lease 1-1/2 stops of light, but in general, given the relatively high ISO you are using and the fast shutter speeds you have more than enough latitude to try this. I personally would shoot these at base ISO of your camera, where ever I can as you get the best colour depth, highest exposure latitude and lowest noise that way.

Real Name
    John

You seem to have gotten some good poses with this series, perhaps try music the next time. Nice series.

Real Name
    Richard

Marie...

I noticed several things about these images... First and foremost, you appear to have established rapport with your subject. Her expressions seem generally happy and not strained at all. I really like the "girl next door" look of these images. IMO, far too many senior portraits attempt to show the senior as sexy and alluring.

On the slightly negative side, the color balance seems to vary between somewhat warm and somewhat cool. Although we can usually accept a portrait that is on the warm side better than one that looks coolish, I'd like to see a bit truer color on these shots.

Donald introduced me to the WhiBal target and I have become a great fan of that system.

http://www.whibalhost.com/_Tutorials/WhiBal/01/

I don't slavishly accept the results of the WhiBal card and the eyedropper tool in Adobe Camera RAW (I always shoot RAW) but, it puts me in the ballpark. I will go from there to have the portrait look like I want it to look...

Another suggestion would be to avoid the dappled light and the severe contrasts. The open shade in image #5 is more flattering, especially if the skin tones were warmed up a bit.

Becky

In this case, I used NIK Viveza and placed control points on wrist, neck, chin and forehead. I then grouped these points and increased the warmth slider 25%. The speed and ease in using the NIK software would certainly be an addition to professional imagery. You get paid for shooting and delivering the images, not for the time you spend in post processing.

Often fill-flash will help. I like using a camera-flip bracket that holds my flash over my lens whether shooting in portrait or in landscape configuration. Using a small softbox can also help soften the light.

As far as posing and direction... I had a friend who when she began to shoot seniors, selected a number of poses she liked from an assortment like this...

https://www.google.com/search?q=seni...w=1097&bih=541

She printed these on 2x3 inch double weight paper and then punched a single hole in the upper corner of each print. When going out on a shoot, she would select an assortment of images that she thought would be appropriate for the subject and carried them to the shoot on a key chain. She would not "copy" the images but, would get her ideas from them.

I recently asked her if she still uses that system and her answer was, "Oh, heavens no! However it did help me get ideas for posing when I started shooting seniors."

Real Name
    Marie Hass

Dear Manfred,

Thank you for your comments. A grey card is on my equipment wish list and I agree would have been helpful.

One of the neat things about this shoot was the changing light conditions (I picked my location according to the changing afternoon light) and one of the toughest parts was the changing light conditions. It did for sure confuse my post processing approach, and created some questions as to whether I should strive for continuity or stick with what the white balance dropper told me. Ulitmately I ended up with what I thought was a compromise. For example, in picture 5, I actually warmed up the white balance a tad.

I wll go back and have a look at the white balance in the other images to see where I was. i am on my laptop at the moment, relaxing. lols.

Marie

Real Name
    Marie Hass

Dear Dan,

so good of you to stop in! Yea, I could kick myself for not doing a better job with managing these elements better.

Marie

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Marie Hass View Post
    Dear Manfred,

Thank you for your comments. A grey card is on my equipment wish list and I agree would have been helpful.

One of the neat things about this shoot was the changing light conditions (I picked my location according to the changing afternoon light) and one of the toughest parts was the changing light conditions. It did for sure confuse my post processing approach, and created some questions as to whether I should strive for continuity or stick with what the white balance dropper told me. Ulitmately I ended up with what I thought was a compromise. For example, in picture 5, I actually warmed up the white balance a tad.

I wll go back and have a look at the white balance in the other images to see where I was. i am on my laptop at the moment, relaxing. lols.

Marie
    As the sun gets nearer the horizon, the colour temperature of the light can change significantly, quite quickly. Even 5 minutes can make a difference, so taking additional reference shots might be required. At one time I would take a reference shot at the beginning and end of shooting at a particular location, but found it was more of a PITA so I haven't done that in a while.

Real Name
    Marie Hass

Hi, Mike!

I need to invest in a decent polarizer. I have a cheap one and well, you know how it goes. I hate it and need to invest in a better one.

I will do vignettes based on the image sizes the customer picks. You are right. I did not apply any yet.

Thanks for your input.

Marie

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Marie...I like #2 a lot and also 3 and 4 because they are spontaneous shots. She is very playful in those. In #1 I am distracted by the bright top of the stump. #3 needs a little bit of warmth on her face. My favourite is #6...to me that is a perfect shot, the composition is also good but need a bit of lightening of the dark shadows on the side of her face...I am wondering...do you use Nik's? Viveza will be a good one to use there to brighten up those shadows...

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Marie I'm not a portrait shooter so no technical comments from me. But I really like the images, especially 1,4,5 and 6.

Real Name
    Marie Hass

Manfred, Richard and Mike in case you are interested.

White balances

#1 - 4250
    #2 and 3 - 6219
    #4 - 4650
    #5 - 5367
    #6 - 4224

For some of the pictures that had that mottling, I selected the blue and dialed back the saturation so that it appeared grey.

Your thoughts?

Real Name
    Richard

Marie,

I was wondering if you used fill flash of any kind when shooting these portraits. Fill flash, used correctly, will often fill in the shadows on a face. One thing that this will do is allow you to use a lower exposure for the facial shadows and, that lower exposure will, among other advantages, prevent the burnout of the bright sun on the subjects golden hair. I am specifically referring to #'s 1 and 6.

BTW: I really like the slight offset angle you used to shoot #6. Often, this type of image (with subject lying down and feet elevated) when shot full face has the legs dangling in the air above the subjects shoulders with no apparent support from the body....

Real Name
    Marie Hass

Hi, Richard,

I did not use a fill flash. I have had shoulder surgeries (reconstruction on the right and open rotator cuff/bone spur removal on the left) both sides. I used my 70-200 2.8L lens and because of the weight, I jettisoned the flash.

I also shot aperture priority and low speed shutter. My thinking was not to fumble around with settings or risking a shot regardless of light conditions, so I set EC +1 and used a higher ISO. For the straight on shots I actually shot f2.8. Most of these shots were taken about 4:15pm - 4:45pm and I lost light very quickly.

Marie

Real Name
    Richard

Marie, I can relate to physical problems limiting what we can do with our cameras Painful Photo Session

I have one of these and occasionally use it with longer lenses...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shoulder-Mou...QAAOSwl9BWGFMk
    It acually works pretty well and the price is right...

I also like this type of bracket http://www.adorama.com/FPXBKFL05.htm...FQepaQodkwAB2Q

It seems that there is less pressure on my shoulder when my hands grip both the camera body and the bracket itself.

It also provides very nice lighting by keeping the flash high above the lens. Adding a lightweight mini softbox really improves the lighting....
    http://www.amazon.com/RPS-S-002421-M.../dp/B002D4LEBK

Real Name
    Marie Hass

Hi, Richard,

I did see your post regarding your fall and cringed as I read it. Ouch!

I will try that shoulder mount. As you say, the price is right, so why not?

Thanks for all the links. I will have a look later.

Marie

Real Name
    Marie Hass

Hi, Izzie!

I will have a look at opening the shadows.

I have not used Nik in a while and use Photoshop very seldom.

Marie

Real Name
    Marie Hass

Hi, Binnur!

Thanks for your comments. This was a fun shoot.

Marie

Real Name
    Marie Hass

lols, Richard!

I saw that, too. and really did not like the look. Hence the offset angle.

Marie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast