Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's in a name?

Real Name
    Max

What's in a name?

I am finally knuckling down to this photography lark and will be starting to build an online portfolio with the aim of trying to exhibit in the next 18 months (if I can find anyone fool enough to take me on).

My issue currently is, what do I call myself?

I already have a profession and want to keep the photography separate. I therefore don't want to use my real name. I use this screen name as my username in my current online galleries. However, it is pretty cheesy. Do I really want to be known as von Meiselmaus for posterity? Hm, not sure.

So, for other people who have created a nom de caméra, how did you settle on something? What were your criteria? How did you know when you had found it? Did you think it was worth the effort?

To clarify, I am not setting up a business, so don't need "Max's Photography Studios" etc. I am aiming more towards the fine art side, so just need an individual name.

Thornhill, a suburb of Toronto, Ontario Canada
    Real Name
    Robert

Re: What's in a name?

Quote Originally Posted by Max von MeiselMaus View Post
    I am finally knuckling down to this photography lark and will be starting to build an online portfolio with the aim of trying to exhibit in the next 18 months (if I can find anyone fool enough to take me on).

My issue currently is, what do I call myself?

I already have a profession and want to keep the photography separate. I therefore don't want to use my real name. I use this screen name as my username in my current online galleries. However, it is pretty cheesy. Do I really want to be known as von Meiselmaus for posterity? Hm, not sure.

So, for other people who have created a nom de caméra, how did you settle on something? What were your criteria? How did you know when you had found it? Did you think it was worth the effort?

To clarify, I am not setting up a business, so don't need "Max's Photography Studios" etc. I am aiming more towards the fine art side, so just need an individual name.
    The internet is teeming with photographers using cheesy names for their businesses, all incredibly lame and equally forgettable.
    What was once innovative has now just become repetitive and passé.
    If I was going to start a Photography business, I'd probably just use my name (as in Photography by Robert S________.
    At least that way if they remember my name, they'd also know the name of my company.
    Robert

Real Name
    Dan

I'm sure you have your reasons for wanting to keep you name out of the public eye but can't really offer any advice on choosing a new one. Even choosing a "studio" name warrants a bit of thought. A further complication is that if there's a desire to use the same name for a web site then it has to be something not already registered. If your goal is indeed to break into the fine art aspect of photography, a somewhat more serious name may be a good idea.

Real Name
    Ted

For my watch hobby, I picked "Kronomeister" - somewhat grandiose but I wanted all one word with a connection to time.

Along those lines, something simple like "MaxiPix" ?

[edit] just read Dan's post, so I would add "ArtiPix" to the above [/edit]

Real Name
    Venser

I went with my name, but I'm still under the veil of complete anonymity. I registered a number of domains in case I set up a more complete business in the future, but for the time being they all redirect to one url.

www.christopherjamessmith.ca
    Also own cjsphotography.ca and christophersmithphotography.ca which simply redirect for the time being. In the end I wanted something easy for others to remember in case I change my focus with photography.

Real Name
    Max

Thanks all for the input.

As I said, I am not setting up a business, so I don't need a business name. I just need an alternative name for me.

Ted, I like the idea of choosing a name that fits with my theme. I suppose I am already there, with my rather gothy, Teutonic username!
    Venser, that is a good point about choosing something memorable. It is like creating a brand for me as a photographer.
    Dan, yes. It has to be distinctive and give the right, serious flavour. I know that didn't bother Weegee, but I'm not as good a photographer as Weegee!

The reason why I am seeking a pseudonym is because I work in a rather serious and sensitive type of work (I am a psychologist). My photography, however, can be rather dark and morbid and, at times, erotic. I don't want to compromise any of that by thoughts of "What would my clients think if they saw this?". It makes sense to keep the two worlds separate.

Thanks all again.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

trying to exhibit in the next 18 months...I am not setting up a business
    I recommend that you think more about those two thoughts, as the first thought suggests that you really are setting up a business assuming you hope to achieve at least one transaction at that exhibition. It may be an infinitesimally small business, but it is a business. The primary aspects of effective branding, which is what you're thinking about, are the same whether the business is large or small.

Real Name
    Venser

The reason why I am seeking a pseudonym is because I work in a rather serious and sensitive type of work (I am a psychologist). My photography, however, can be rather dark and morbid and, at times, erotic. I don't want to compromise any of that by thoughts of "What would my clients think if they saw this?". It makes sense to keep the two worlds separate.
    I have a friend with two separate businesses for this reason. She's a wedding/family portrait photographer, but loves to shoot fairly explicit images as well. She created two "businesses" to accommodate both. The family clients never find out about the other for obvious reasons.

Real Name
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I recommend that you think more about those two thoughts, as the first thought suggests that you really are setting up a business assuming you hope to achieve at least one transaction at that exhibition. It may be an infinitesimally small business, but it is a business. The primary aspects of effective branding, which is what you're thinking about, are the same whether the business is large or small.
    Yes, I suppose I am not making myself clear. I am not setting up a Max's Wedding Photography type business, so I don't need a catchy business name like that (not that this is catchy, but you know what I mean). But, I do need a memorable name under which to produce, promote and possibly sell my work. So, subtle difference, but I hope you can see why I have made that distinction.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

That's helpful clarification, Max. Now that I'm aware of it, I'm confident you'll be able to arrive at a business name that accomplishes all of your understandable goals.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Not knowing you really, I would surmise that you know yourself better. Therefore, the question is...how do you want to be remembered by, or as? Then the answer to that is what you seek as the name you will be known as in the serious world of your photographic endeavors, don't you think? Just psychologizing you...for a change...

Real Name
    Max

Ahaha! And quite right, too.

Yup. I suspect this isn't going to be one of those easy things, is it? It is going to require quite a bit of navel gazing.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

. . . So, for other people who have created a nom de caméra, how did you settle on something?

> What were your criteria?
    Simple to write
    Simple to say
    Simple to spell
    Most importantly - a name to which I would instantly respond if it were spoken: for example answering a telephone call or at a Gallery Viewing, Book Launch etc.

How did you know when you had found it?
    If you think long enough about yourself (as others have advised and I think that is very good advice) you will know when it occurs to you. It will be obvious to you.

Did you think it was worth the effort?
    Yes.

Categorically and definitely yes if you require separation and or distance - especially if you intend to have any, even a minute web presence by either your real name/existing professional name - OR - any nom de plume that you choose.

Rationale:
    > separation of all Business Entities between each other and/or Oneself as an Entity
    > separation when one writes on various subjects and especially to culturally divergent audiences;
    > separation of Photographic Genres, especially when such are divergent and/or the Talent requires a certain anonymity or privacy.

WW

ya know, other than letting all of us know your intentions (to hit it big as an artistic photographer), realistically do you really expect someone to come up with a name you could use that would resonate with you by anyone here that knows essentially nothing about you? This seems like some kind of mental game that a psychologist might play to amuse themselves.
    Kidding.....you should go by the name of...ah who am I kidding, I haven't a clue what you should go by. Why would I, I have no idea who you are. Your asking us what name you should use would be like asking us what color shirt goes with your suit, and us having no idea what your suit looks like. But people will offer their opinions regardless. I say Blue.

Real Name
    Shane

Max,

What about using your initials? For example MvM Photography or MvM Fine Art Photography? If you are lucky you will get the URL and if you ever become rich and famous and want to reveal yourself the name will make sense.

Real Name
    Max

Bill, yup. That all makes sense there. It sounds as though you have already tackled this question, given your emphatic "Yes!" to it being worth it. Good to hear from someone on the other side.

Jack, LOL. No, no way am I asking people to name me, just to share their thoughts of having gone through the trials of renaming, or having considered it and abandoned the idea. There has been some very useful food for thought posted in this thread, for which I am very grateful.

Shane, not a bad idea. It has a symmetry, at least! And LOL on the rich and famous. No, not aiming for that. But I am enjoying this as a sideline. I need to express my creative impulses somehow, or I would explode!

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Bill . . . It sounds as though you have already tackled this question, given your emphatic "Yes!" to it being worth it.
    Yes I have.

> My Company's name can be interpreted as the name of a person and I am often referred to by that name. That keeps me as an Entity separate to my Company as an Entity. Separation would not be possible if my Company Name (and the Business Names used by my Company) were my own name or a form of it.

> I write outside the Subject of Photography and I use a nom de plume for that to maintain professional credibility and separation in both the two main areas of my expertise and experience.

> My forum presence here is "William W", because when I was asked to joined CiC I wanted to separate myself and more especially separate my comments, from my employer at that time and more importantly not to imply my comments were representing his (Photography related) Company, to my which my name would be readily recognized and associated.

Many Photographers, without thinking about it, just use their own name as their Business Name irrespective of them forming a Company or not. I don't think that is a wise move at all. And I have had many discussion on this point and I don't try to convert anyone - it's like the discussion of using protection filters, or not: many people have their mind already made up and then they apply that one answer to fit all - and they don't want to work it through from first principles and establish what is the best choice, for their present conditions.

This is basically your question: you basically are asking about a "Business Name" for your Fine Art Work.

WW

Real Name
    Max

Yup, but more like a nom de plume, as I am not setting up a business. I take my photos, I will put them in an online portfolio and I will seek to set up a little exhibition. If people like them, great. If not, no problem. My primary aim is not to sell or make any money from this. My primary aim is to make my pictures. So, yes. More like a nom de plume.

But I totally relate to your aim of separating off the various bits of what you do, to keep things clean and distinct. I do not want my "proper" job to have anything to do with my creative outpourings, or vice versa. So, a different name makes sense. It is very useful to hear from someone else who has done this. It helps confirm that this is what I need to do.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Good.

Good luck with the name and also the exhibition of your Photography.

WW

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I'm thinking of a local portrait photographer who got rather famous.

He didn't call himself Yousef Karsh, but went around as "Karsh of Ottawa" or just "Karsh".

There was a bit of a problem, as his older brother, Malek Karsh was a well known landscape photographer. He signed his works "Malek". His work decorated the back of the Canadian $1 bill for about a decade and was one of the founders of the renowned Tulip Festival.

Quite a few people do not know that these two famous photographers were brothers.

This is probably not going to help you much, but certainly suggests others have gone before you in this mission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast