Thread: Advice and help with PP sought

Real Name
    Richard

Advice and help with PP sought

This little chick proved nearly impossible to snap - it stayed in dense brush. But I was keen to retrieve something from this shot. (I shoot RAW + JPEG).

I can do a half decent job of cloning out the twig but the white OOF area across the top and on its tail feathers (?) has me beat. I use Faststone as an image editor. Any advice would be most welcome.

Dicky.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Advice and help with PP sought

I can't help as I use photoshop. With a lot of work using layer masks, cloning, burning etc I cold probably manage a bit of a rescue that may not be too obvious but would never do it total justice. If I had taken this photo while on holiday I may even get it to the stage where it could go in the album but I doubt that it could ever be a stand alone print.

Real Name
    Robbie.

Dicky,
    Some serious cloning needed there....

Perhaps trying a different crop that still shows her in her natural environment will save you some pain..

Some quick and dirty examples.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Ekins View Post
    Dicky,
    Some serious cloning needed there....

Perhaps trying a different crop that still shows her in her natural environment will save you some pain..

Some quick and dirty examples.

A great idea Rob - I completely overlooked the obvious!

Dicky.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Hi Richard, I think with the RAW file and a lot of patience you could do more than you have so far.(certainly with photoshop)

Below is a a quick (well I planed to be quick) effort that could do with a bit of localized sharpening which I have not done.
    If it were mine I would work a bit more on the background even to the extent of cloning from another photo if I had one available.

P.S. On looking back at the original I see I have mistakenly cloned out some darker feathers that should be there. Sorry it is not a mistake I would have made if I had taken the photograph or had been in less of a hurry.
    Last edited by pnodrog; 7th February 2016 at 10:29 AM.

Real Name
    John

Richard,

Nice capture, haven't used FastStone for any serious editing, do you have the advanced version? .

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Richard,

Nice capture, haven't used FastStone for any serious editing, do you have the advanced version? .
    Alas no, I should upgrade.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Hi Richard, I think with the RAW file and a lot of patience you could do more than you have so far.(certainly with photoshop)

Below is a a quick (well I planed to be quick) effort that could do with a bit of localized sharpening which I have not done.
    If it were mine I would work a bit more on the background even to the extent of cloning from another photo if I had one available.

P.S. On looking back at the original I see I have mistakenly cloned out some darker feathers that should be there. Sorry it is not a mistake I would have made if I had taken the photograph or had been in less of a hurry.
    Thank you Paul, that is a lot better, I have plenty of matching scrub in other attempts to capture the speedy little chick. I can even have a go at cloning the leg lost through motion blur.

Dad will probably hang it on the wall.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by DickyOZ View Post
    Alas no, I should upgrade.
    There is a healing and cloning tool in the free version, it's a bit erratic to use but works well on removing telephone lines and that sort of thing.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    There is a healing and cloning tool in the free version, it's a bit erratic to use but works well on removing telephone lines and that sort of thing.
    The free version is a bit erratic but with patience I can get acceptable results in most cases. This one was beyond my skills.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Well...this turned out nice already. I am late to this post and Rob and Paul already have the edits and crops. That last one is a good shot (pun intended).