Thread: Managing chargers and charging cords

Real Name
    Richard

Managing chargers and charging cords

I have an overabundance of electrical chargers and charging cords in my home... Two different cell phones, different Chromebooks, different notebook computers, multiple camera charging cords and battery chargers, along with miscellaneous chargers for wine opener, flashlights and I don't know what else. I am sure that I missed one or two devices...

We have a labeling machine and label chargers and charging cords that are not obviously from a specific device. However, I would really like to set up a fairly permanent charging station or area to accommodate all or most of mt devices.

Do any of the CiC members see cords and chargers as a problem? Has anyone a system for controlling the proliferation of those cords and chargers.

I don't think this would do it, but this is the general idea... http://www.thingcharger.com/

Real Name
    John

Re: Managing chargers and charging cords

I have two bags filled with cords and chargers, one is quite small and it is where I keep current device gear. I don't bother sorting or labeling anymore.

Real Name
    Dan

Great idea for a device. Doesn't solve all of the issues but a pretty handy looking device. I do have a "permanent" station set up in an out of the way location for charging camera batteries (don't get me started on three different types of batteries). But for travel I've just accepted the inevitability of traveling with multiple chords, chargers, etc. At least mobile devices have standardized on USB connections so you can carry a single power converter for all and/or charge off of a laptop.

Real Name
    Simon

A charging station seems like a good plan, and I'm sure you're aware of this already, but just in case anyone reading it isn't:

Different devices have batteries that take higher or lower loads. Even those that take the same cord can have quite different charging requirements. Always check the amp output of the charger you will use before plugging in a different device - if in doubt, use the charger supplied.

Ok, health and safety warning done!

I have a 4 way plug in the corner of my living room that I use as a charging station, with iPad, battery (both camera and rechargeable cells) and phone/e-cig (500mA) USB. Chargers live in a drawer, cables are always plugged in ready to go. It may not be pretty but it works and keeps everything out of the way...

Real Name
    Brian Grant

I use the rubber bands from lobster claws, coil the cord so that both ends are at the same end of the loop. I've worked with gear enough that I can pick out the cord pretty quickly. Many cords are interchangable but look a bit different for USB, mini-USB and Micro USB.

USB 3.0 has slightly different connectors but they will generally be blue and won't fit USB-2. I've never had a problem putting a USB-2 cable on a USB-3 socket. Some devices will not accept the higher power of USB-3 and shut down as a function of their charging circuit.

Does this answer your question?

Real Name
    Yes

I carefully labled all my chargers - but forgot they get hot in use - and I used a thermal Dymo system - now back to small stick on paper lables.

Real Name
    Richard

Alan, that was "sort" of what I wanted. I may just dedicate an old book case as my charging station. I could drill holes in the back of each shelf and run the power cords through the hole. Perhaps to a electrical power strip in the rear of the case. That way, I would only need one plug to go into the wall socket...

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I use either duck tape or that beige tape that I can write on. On cords, I double the size and fold it over so I can write labels on them. When the time comes that I look for which one belongs to which, it is easy to identify the parent/s. On some of our walls like here in my den, I had asked Bill to put a strip beside the power point each so when charging something, it is off the floor.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Unfortunately I do not think it is designed to meet a photographers needs - Various camera batteries and NiCd AA etc. but fine for USB charged devices.

Real Name
    Bobo

My NUMBER ONE PET HATE.
    Why do we need a new charger with every mobile device?

The world standardizes on the micro-usb and the rotten fruit comes up with something else.

Any company that does not conform to the accepted standard should be banned from doing business.

Camera batteries I can accept due to needs of the various cameras but mobile devices ???

Even worse are those only give out a charger for a particular voltage forcing you to get a universal if you travel a lot.