Thread: Drinks anyone?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Drinks anyone?

In India just about everyone seems to be an independent businessman. This shot is one of the many stalls that we pass as we head down some of the side streets in Bangalore. For 20 Rupees (about $US0.30 we got a small cup of sweet lime juice, which is almost the least expensive item on the menu.

There was a small generator running outside to power the blenders.

Drinks anyone?

Real Name
    John

Re: Drinks anyone?

Nicely captured and converted.

Real Name
    Dean

Very nice, Manfred.

Real Name
    Richard

Wonderful capture. I like how the blenders and the pineapples form leading lines to the vendor.

Real Name
    Gerry

Excellent capture Manfred. Great conversion too.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Not to offend anyone, but in other places like away from home, I only drink bottled waters...my metabolism is not very good and my brain says if it is not cooked, don't eat it or drink it...

Nice composition, Manfred. I like those lines of pineapple on the top shelves..

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Not to offend anyone, but in other places like away from home, I only drink bottled waters...my metabolism is not very good and my brain says if it is not cooked, don't eat it or drink it...
    Honestly Izzie, that is my rule to. But fortunately I am staying with an Asian and a Westerner (son in law and daughter) from developed countries who also have sensitive digestive systems. They have managed to pre-scout a number of places that appear to have good quality control. So far so good.

I've gotten sick from food and drink three times while on the road. Once was at an internationally known 5-star hotel restaurant in Egypt, once in a country renowned for its cleanliness (Germany) and once at a restaurant in a developing country where a "local" who lives there 6 months a year who lives in Canada the other 6 months had been going for years (he got sick too).

You can be careful, but it doesn't always work. If you get totally engrossed in worrying about what you eat, you'll never go anywhere.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    In India just about everyone seems to be an independent businessman...
    Traveling to most anyplace in the far east is eye opening. At least for North Americans. We act like we invented capitalism and that it's a bad thing. Easterners take capitalism to levels we never see. Which is also likely why most eastern immigrants open their own businesses.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Traveling to most anyplace in the far east is eye opening. At least for North Americans. We act like we invented capitalism and that it's a bad thing. Easterners take capitalism to levels we never see. Which is also likely why most eastern immigrants open their own businesses.
    Totally agree Dan. I was told (by a local) that about 50% of Indians are self-employed. These folks are the ultimate "upsellers"; you ask for a kg (around 2.2 lbs) of tomatoes. They'll ask if you are sure it that is enough. If it is they point out the wonderful cucumbers they have, etc., etc.

Having been to China a couple of times, I have yet to figure out how Communism ever took hold there. They are so business driven, it's crazy (and definitely not always to the good). If they ever figure out the quality angle the rest of the world will be in real trouble when it comes to manufacturing.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    If they ever figure out the quality angle the rest of the world will be in real trouble when it comes to manufacturing.
    I am old enough to remember before Japan got quality control sussed and when they did, it proved how bad we were at it in much of UK manufacturing at the time.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I am old enough to remember before Japan got quality control sussed and when they did, it proved how bad we were at it in much of UK manufacturing at the time.
    Me too Dave - I remember when I was growing up that anything labeled "Made in Japan" = junk.

I also find it amazing that the whole Japanese quality system was largely started off by an American; J Edwards Deming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming