Thread: Tomato seller - Russell Market

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Tomato seller - Russell Market

This is the man where my daughter buys here tomatoes at Bangalore's Russell Market. Not only does he sell wonderfully ripe and tasty tomatoes, but he also charges here local, rather than "westerner" prices.

Here you can see him counting the money we gave him after we bought a couple of kg of his tomatoes.

Real Name
    John

Re: Tomato seller - Russell Market

Nice capture.

Real Name
    John

Nice study Manfred. Presumably the red of the toms distracted too much from the subject?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Nice study Manfred. Presumably the red of the toms distracted too much from the subject?
    Actually no. The light gray area to the left of his head is actually light blue in colour and comes from the building across the alley. I had hoped to tone it down and use this as a colour image, but the blue bled into his hair and looked rather strange, so a B&W conversion seem to be the easiest way to go.

This is one of those rare instances where I shot and processed for colour but changed my mind and went B&W.

Real Name
    Dean

Nicely done.

Real Name
    Dave

Not only does he sell wonderfully ripe and tasty tomatoes, but he also charges here local, rather than "westerner" prices.
    Hi Manfred,

First, I really do like your image. The crop is tight, but exactly what works. I especially appreciate the contrast between the monochrome and colour versions: it is something I am trying to learn.

May I make a short cultural diversion? In 1970 my wife worked as a VSO volunteer in Uganda (like the U.S. Peace Corps). She was paid local wages. In the market there were three price bands: African, European, and Asian (the highest). You could negotiate, but only within your band. Especially when tanned, she looks quite Asian. It certainly enhanced her negotiation skills: whenever we make a family purchase, it's Margalit who leads

Dave

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    May I make a short cultural diversion? In 1970 my wife worked as a VSO volunteer in Uganda (like the U.S. Peace Corps). She was paid local wages. In the market there were three price bands: African, European, and Asian (the highest). You could negotiate, but only within your band. Especially when tanned, she looks quite Asian. It certainly enhanced her negotiation skills: whenever we make a family purchase, it's Margalit who leads

Dave
    Dave - the first time my wife learned about haggling in third world countries was a trip to Egypt about 25 years ago. She took to it like a native. I try to steer clear of camel markets and rug sellers just to ensure she doesn't end up buying something just because she enjoys the process so much.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

You sound like Bill when we went to Egypt but I ended up buying two carpet rugs anyway. It is still in the cabinet unused because we will never go to the Middle East again this lifetime...

Anyway, I am glad you converted the image to B/W. I am still trying to learn B/W and want to know more which to convert and which to leave in colour...so this is another lesson just looking at your image here and your explanation of the whys and wherefores of converting...thanks again for this.
    Last edited by IzzieK; 5th February 2016 at 10:30 AM.

Real Name
    Dan

I like the B/W version, Manfred. Nicely done.

Great photo! I liked both (color and bw).