Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Photography collection to move from Bradford to London

Real Name
    Dave

Photography collection to move from Bradford to London

There aren't many national museums outside London, but one is the National Media Museum in Bradford in the north of England. Now its photography collection is to be moved to the V&A museum in London. Once again, the "provinces" are denuded to feed the capital.

When Scotland becomes independent, can we come with you, please.

Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Photography collection to move from Bradford to London

You'll be very welcome.

Yes, this topic was discussed in the Facebook group that we Scottish-based photography students of the OCA (Online College of the Arts) have running. We agreed the decision is disgraceful and the reasons given, including those of the Royal Photographic Society, just smack of London-centrism. The museum in Bradford is a wonderful resource (I visited it to view the Fay Godwin exhibition - The Land Revisited - a few years back).

I think this is a shameful and shocking decision. London is more than well provided for in terms of the arts.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I agree that the smaller communities should also have their share of museums. Two of my favorite museums are in small communities far away from their nation's capital. One is the museum in Cody, Wyoming that is actually several museums housed under the same roof and is still small despite the number of museums. The paintings made by native Americans displayed there are just incredible. The other museum is at Olympia, Greece and I like it because of its quality and intimate size.

Real Name
    Max

That is a real shame. What are the reasons for moving it?

The V&A is expanding, I know, and perhaps they are increasing their catalogue of photographic work as part of this. However, decanting a whole museum's content to do this seems extreme.

Yes, it does smack of Londoncentrism, and I am close to London and will now be able to visit it, so this isn't self interest talking. Shame.

Real Name
    Peter

I did read about this impending move. I'm sure the person who made the decision will feel proud of the move.
    On a similar vein (read V&A) on a visit last year to Sizergh Castle which is managed by The National Trust, I was surprised to find that the contents (furniture, carved wooden panelling etc) in one room within the building was the property of the V&A. Apparently in the past the family who own the castle had fallen on hard times and the then incumbent sold some assets which included this rooms content to the V&A.
    A latter descendent managed to sort out the family fortunes and he approached the V&A to buy back the items disposed of by his predecessor.
    His approach was rejected by the V&A even though they had never displayed or used the room content.
    After many approaches the V&A eventually allowed the room and contents to be returned to the castle I believe it took twelve months for a master carpenter to reinstall all of the panelling etc.
    You may wonder what this has to do with photography, this single room and content is still owned by the V&A and it is the only room in the building that you are not permitted to make photographs!