Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lens filter

Real Name
    Godfrey

Lens filter

Hi,

how do i clean the lens filter?Accidently have oily stained finger marked on it?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Lens filter

Try a microfibre cleaning cloth. That is my first step and I've used it for this issue. If there is a lot of oil, try removing it with a lint-free cloth or paper tissue first so as not to load up the cleaning cloth too much.

Liquid cleaners can just smear the oil around or worse, leave a residue film.

Real Name
    Godfrey

Can i used soak it in detergent ?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

No - that will leave a film that is almost impossible to remove. If there is enough oil to require a liquid cleaner, look at using isopropyl alcohol, which will dissolve the oil and then you can wipe if up with a clean, lint free cloth or lens cleaning tissue (if you still find any).

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

A lenspen is a remarkable tool. One side is a brush and the other side is a dry cleaning tool. Harmless and effective. A microfiber cloth is excellent, too. A little breath can provide sufficient moisture to help wick up the smear.

Real Name
    Yes

A supply ofdemineralised water (or defrost from the freeser + small drop washing up liquid will clean off oil residues, having removed most with tissue.

Before letting it dry rinse all the detergent water with demineralised water. When wiping work from outside to centre. Again iso propyl alcohol can be used to get liquid from edges - again work from edge to centre.

When filter gets scratched throw it away

Dont use household cleaners on filters, especially acidic ones or containing ammonia, these can damage the coating.

The technique for wiping with a llens tissue - or not so good paper tissue is to fold over the tissue several times, tear it in half and use the torn ends as the cleaning surface. Any bots of tissue left can be blown off - proper lens tissue doesn't leave bits.