Thread: Yellow Flower, Shallow DOF, yup it's amatuer hour :)

Real Name
    Adam

Yellow Flower, Shallow DOF, yup it's amatuer hour :)

I converted one of my lens hoods to be 'anti-flare' today

Eagar to give it a whirl I walked to the nearly field/allotment, pointed at the sun, focused, shot

and this is what I got!!

I'm happy with the hood mod! Anyway, here's the snap!

PP'd from RAW 'cos I quite liked it

Real Name
    John

Re: Yellow Flower, Shallow DOF, yup it's amatuer hour :)

Nice capture, what does the conversion entail?

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Good composition with the diagonal though the brightness at the top of the frame doesn't help much. Need to contain that a little bit, don't you think? Flower looks very delicate.

Real Name
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice capture, what does the conversion entail?

This

http://www.prophotonut.com/2012/05/0...r-step-up-fix/

But mine doesn't look that professional!

Real Name
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Good composition with the diagonal though the brightness at the top of the frame doesn't help much. Need to contain that a little bit, don't you think? Flower looks very delicate.
    It's true! I already cropped out lots of sky, which was the main subject, as I wanted to see how the hood mod worked into the low sun!

I might work this further, or try again (it's only about 100 feet from my front door!)

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Nice image; the brightness of the sky distracts the eyes a bit...tone down a bit needed please?

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Adzman808 View Post
    It's true! I already cropped out lots of sky, which was the main subject, as I wanted to see how the hood mod worked into the low sun!

I might work this further, or try again (it's only about 100 feet from my front door!)
    I downloaded your image, loaded it to Photoshop and worked that bright light from Nik and it did not pan out well, so I went back to Photoshop cropped a bit more then worked the patch and clone tools, mostly patch tool content aware little by little until the bright skies were all gone...it is a lot of work. I am just telling you here it can be done...good exercise

Real Name
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    I downloaded your image, loaded it to Photoshop and worked that bright light from Nik and it did not pan out well, so I went back to Photoshop cropped a bit more then worked the patch and clone tools, mostly patch tool content aware little by little until the bright skies were all gone...it is a lot of work. I am just telling you here it can be done...good exercise
    Hey now you gotta show me

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Adzman808 View Post
    Hey now you gotta show me
    I had already deleted the old file I downloaded so I downloaded it from CiC again…This is the first crop:

2 Go to the Patch Tool
    Patch Tool at the bottom left hand corner. At the top, make sure that Content aware is selected. This is my setting here...

3 Select the top left hand corner – small white triangle. The running ant disappeared when I activated my capture software to copy it…so I cannot show you. Once you have that running ant going, move the white top corner lower or to that part that will turn that white the same as your darkist background. You might have to do it several times to get the real colour…

4 You have to choose another small patch and move it to the right or downwards to get that white you just selected to the same colour as your background. Do this same procedure until you get all your whites here to the same colour as your background.

Personally, it was a good exercise to learn about the patch tool here, but if you get tired, just go back and take another shot of this flower again. Much easier…

Here is a YouTube example…here he did a big chunk of it. What I did with yours are smaller bits and it gets the same clean results. He also explained here about the Adaptation options. It is not hard to understand for me so you'll be fine understanding this one too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJwiulE1F1E

Cheers,
    Izzie

Real Name
    Adam

Thanks for this Izzie,

I haven't forgotton, I've just been too busy to give you the attention you deserve!

(I've revamped and relaunched my blog!)

Real Name
    Adam

Hi Izzie,

I don't use (or even have photoshop) so everything I've done, I've done in capture one!

Ok here's the FF (I think..) with as much highlight recovery (as I use the term loosely ) that I could manage

So then I wondered about B&W

Which is still pretty 'meh' and loses all the pretty yellow!

But I thought I'd try a crop B&W, which for some reason I've cropped quite badly, losing the charm of the original crop I OP'd

But I dunno... I've a bit run out of steam with this one, and it was hardly ever a portfolio image...

But to keep the theme of the anti-flare lens hood going!

Here's one of our cat (with the hood on the lens)

It's almost too good at aiding subject isolation, the cat is starting to not look real and the OOF areas are positively melting away.... use with care methinks (aka stop down a bit)

Here's a crop of the cat, remember folks this is F2.4, OK on APSC, but also on a 60 (ie 90 in old money)

Still I'm happy with the mod, and every time I use that 60, I'm wowed at the detail rendering

I'll try and point at some thing a little more interesting next time!

Real Name
    Izzie

Which is still pretty 'meh' and loses all the pretty yellow!
    If that is your small problem, why not do selective colouring on the yellow flowers and see how you go? Just a thought...

I like the cat shot though...I think it is a perfectly amazing shot what that mask can do. Wide open aperture at F 2.4 + 60mm focal length will it not always equals blurred background?

I'll try and point at some thing a little more interesting next time!
    No...no...I find this topic and your subject interesting...hopefully others too. Maybe you can find other subject using the same technique just to elaborate more on your experiment. What do you think?
    Cheers.Izzie.

Real Name
    Adam

From what I read on the site that turned me on to the hood mod, it aids subject isolation by hardening (my choice of word) the edges of the in-focus subject.

You're quite right of course, 2.4 on a 60mm is always going to give a shallow DOF, but with the hood the transition from focus to OOF seems to be better defined.

Not sure about selective colour, I might try it if only because I've not ever done it before (apart from I think, one of my cameras has a setting for it in jpeg mode)

The cat works fine for me. I would suspect that there are several options for slightly wider crops as well.