Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So what is it...?

Re: So what is it...?

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Thank you Trev, I think Mike is being a bit naughty Is this any better? Taken with a mobile but at least not a selfie.
    Ah.. the selfie shot does not do you anything like justice. You should definitely update your avatar with a new picture!

Real Name
    Binnur

I would never guess what it was !

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    Spot on James!

So what is it...?

The crystalline effect is because the reservoir was full and with a bit of a breeze the waves washed over the top of the spillway in a series that, when "frozen" by the camera, looked like they were actually ice.

The image is actually of the Lower Nihotupo Dam Spillway in the Waitakere Ranges in west Auckland

To demonstrate further, the shot below is of a couple of ducks bracing their feet against the spillway as they sit on the dam. In the background you can see the wave effect

So what is it...?

Real Name
    Binnur

I don't have many photos of mine but as soon as I get a new one I will update my avatar Trev

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    Ah.. the selfie shot does not do you anything like justice. You should definitely update your avatar with a new picture!

Definitely a good idea!

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

And to think my Son did part of his photography portfolio for U.E. with shots of that very spillway and dam which was about 10 km down the road from our house...

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    And to think my Son did part of his photography portfolio for U.E. with shots of that very spillway and dam which was about 10 km down the road from our house...
    My partner goes to her massage therapist for treatment every couple of weeks. I drive her there, so while I am waiting I often park up on the visitors' area. I have seen the water and spillway in every weather condition - it would probably make a decent photo essay...

I wish I could have done photography at high school. In my days you did French and Latin only. I wanted to learn German - they didn't offer it, then shorthand typing (useful for university) - only girls learned that. I am glad things have changed...

Real Name
    James Edwards

Trev, you have me going now... a superb capture, and I'm kicking myself for not seeing the photo opportunities at at least a dozen reservoirs I've been at, or near, for the last 30 years!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123