Thread: Teenager

Real Name
    Robin

Teenager

My eldest turned 13 in December so is now officially a teenager - and oh boy has he ran with the idea. Apart from the obvious lack of a hair cut and the I'm not looking at your camera because I'm bored and don't want to be here attitude you see here we have to put up with get usual scruffiness, won't get out of bed, moans, stamping of feet and rages that come with the age.....but he is fun to wind up so I can't really moan

Anyhow I have been experimenting with the film simulations my Fuji offers and have grown fond of the Classic Chrome look. It is desaturated and colour shifted so not natural but I kind of like it for this time of year and for general shots of the boys out and about. I'm not going for accuracy more a feel to the images hence the muted tones, vignettes and pushed highlights/shadows. I have also recently tried to capture the 2.35:1 Panavision Anamorphic look you get in the cinema by shooting wide and cropping to that ratio.

See what you think.....

Teenager

The youngest on the other hand is still a barrel of laughs and loves the camera....

Teenager

Teenager

All Fuji X-T1 + 35mm f1.4 wide open.

Real Name
    Kay

Re: Teenager

Cool kids, I like 'em both.

Real Name
    John

Nice captures.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice captures.
    Nice? certainly good.

If I was braver I would run sweepstakes as to which one takes mostly after his father and which mostly after his mother...

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

The first shot is a real cracker - that's what I think.

It must be so terrible for you to have to suffer the pain of using that 35/1.4 . . .

Just confirming - the first shot a JPEG SOOC (excluding crop and downsize for web viewing) or did you finesse the tones, saturation and colour, etc in PShop? - what I mean is - is that reasonable indication of the Fuji Film Simulation? I am asking because I play with that on my Fuji

Yes I like the Panavision. I play with that Aspect Ratio and similar widescreen film AR, too. And I also shoot square format JPEG ex camera.

The only very slight sense of dubiousness I see in shot 1 is his hands, they appear ever so slightly elongated. Then after thinking that, I fixated on the thought . . . and couldn't help myself to ask you: it is about where the crop was made - but it looks like the Camera Elevation is absolutely correct for shot, so the hands are indeed correct?

WW

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    The first shot is a real cracker - that's what I think.

It must be so terrible for you to have to suffer the pain of using that 35/1.4 . . .

Just confirming - the first shot a JPEG SOOC (excluding crop and downsize for web viewing) or did you finesse the tones, saturation and colour, etc in PShop? - what I mean is - is that reasonable indication of the Fuji Film Simulation? I am asking because I play with that on my Fuji

Yes I like the Panavision. I play with that Aspect Ratio and similar widescreen film AR, too. And I also shoot square format JPEG ex camera.

The only very slight sense of dubiousness I see in shot 1 is his hands, they appear ever so slightly elongated. Then after thinking that, I fixated on the thought . . . and couldn't help myself to ask you: it is about where the crop was made - but it looks like the Camera Elevation is absolutely correct for shot, so the hands are indeed correct?

WW
    The 35/1.4 is a hardship I have to bear - tis a terrible thing

These aren't SOOC as I shoot raw and then select the colour profile from the Fuji options built into LR/ACR - the rendering though is the same either way. I did lift the shadows as they can tend to be a little dark for my preference but the colours are very much 'as is' from the profile., there's a fairly strong vignette on it to to give it a moodier feel. I was shooting up from a low position though at the same time Dylan has something called dyspraxia which makes him hold and use his hands in a slightly unusual way so it could be a combination.....now you mention it it does look add. I haven't stretched the image just cropped it hard top to bottom.

The other two shots have had a similar treatment, quick shadow/highlight adjustment, crop and vignette so the colours from the CC profile are pretty much what you'll get if you try them. Shooting raw and trying the profiles in PP is a fantastic way to take advantage of the well liked "Fuji Colours" that X fans keep going on about.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Thanks, Robin, for the comprehensive reply.

Real Name
    Binnur

I like the composition in #1 very much. Your youngest seems to be having fun

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

It is fun having two boys. Came from the same source but very different in almost everything. I like image #3 best.