Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Play between lens and body.

Real Name
    Pat

Play between lens and body.

Howya to all. I'm new to Cambridge in Colour and hope you dont mind me introducing myself with a query. I recently purchased a second hand canon EF 100-400mm lens in very good condition, first time out all was well,second time I noticed a small bit of play between the camera lens mount and the lens. Is this a common occurence or is something seriously wrong. Take care and best wishes.

Real Name
    John

Re: Play between lens and body.

Welcome to the group.

It happens with new lenses as well. It all amounts to aligning the marks up correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollokot View Post
    Howya to all. I'm new to Cambridge in Colour and hope you dont mind me introducing myself with a query. I recently purchased a second hand canon EF 100-400mm lens in very good condition, first time out all was well,second time I noticed a small bit of play between the camera lens mount and the lens. Is this a common occurence or is something seriously wrong. Take care and best wishes.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ollokot View Post
    Quite common - I notice it between my EF70-200mm F2.8L IS USM II & my 1Ds3.

PS: Welcome to CiC - great to have you with us

What camera are you using by the way?

Just one thing to check out.

My 180 macro lens started to get slightly wobbly and when I investigated the mount, the screws in the mount to lens attachment ring were slightly loose. A tweak with a miniature screwdriver was needed to correct the problem.

I do also have very slight rotational play between the body and lens; but it is miniscule and everything works fine.

Real Name
    Pat

Thank you to Shadowman, Colin Southern,and Geoff F for your replies. The play is rotational but minor and from what I'v learned poses no real problem. The camera i am using is a canon eos 50D. Thank's for your welcome and Best Wishes.

Real Name
    omid

since you all have canon one may wonder if the same problem goes with nikon...
    I own a nikon D700 and the very same problem is seen here with my 70-200 its really on my nerves BUT! its nothing to worry about from what i learn here

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by omidrezatabatabaie View Post
    since you all have canon one may wonder if the same problem goes with nikon...
    I own a nikon D700 and the very same problem is seen here with my 70-200 its really on my nerves BUT! its nothing to worry about from what i learn here
    I have a D90 and I have rotational play with my 70-200 VR1. Everything seems to work fine - camera-wise anyway
    In fact, I've never had an error in the 10 months I've owned the camera despite the seemingly frequent posts by others in various online forums to the contrary.

Hmmm, me thinks I shall knock on wood ....