Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's a can of worms ~ lens cleaning

Real Name
    Brian

Here's a can of worms ~ lens cleaning

Hi, up until now I have been using my trusted astronomy eyepiece cleaning fluid on my camera lenses. But it is running out and not easily replaceable.

The only commercial cleaning agent available is AO lens cleaner. Can this be used or is there a mix it myself something I can make up in the kitchen?
    Brian

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Re: Here's a can of worms ~ lens cleaning

Brush blower, hot breath and a micro fibre cloth (only use the cloth for lenses). If it's a stubborn mark - a lens pen.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by paratha123 View Post
    HELLO FRIENDS
    Remove as much dust and dirt as possible from the lens with a blower or soft-bristled brush. Apply a few drops of lens cleaning solution to a lens tissue or cleaning cloth. Using a circular motion, gently remove oil, fingerprints, and grime from the lens surface, working from the center outward.
    same technique as telescope eyepieces

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by tao2 View Post
    Brush blower, hot breath and a micro fibre cloth (only use the cloth for lenses). If it's a stubborn mark - a lens pen.
    that would be instead of an indelible pen?

Real Name
    Greg Lehey

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    The only commercial cleaning agent available is AO lens cleaner. Can this be used or is there a mix it myself something I can make up in the kitchen?
    I don't know AO lens cleaner, but Google suggests that it's made for glasses (spectacles). If it's anything like the proprietary branded cleaners I get here, in similar packaging, I wouldn't have anything to do with it. I've tried it, both for glasses and for camera lenses, and it leaves lots of residues. I clean my glasses with washing-up liquid and wash it off with lots of water, but clearly that's not an option for camera lenses.

I wish I had a suggestion, but I'm looking myself. Somewhere I heard of using iso-propanol (iso-propyl alcohol), but without some confirmation, I'm reluctant to try it. Any thoughts?

Greg

Real Name
    Dan

I never use any cleaning fluid. Never have. Fog the glass by breathing on it and use lint free lens paper is all I've ever done. Of course in your climate, there's not much more humidity in one's breath than in the air so that may not work down there

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lehey View Post
    I don't know AO lens cleaner, but Google suggests that it's made for glasses (spectacles). If it's anything like the proprietary branded cleaners I get here, in similar packaging, I wouldn't have anything to do with it. I've tried it, both for glasses and for camera lenses, and it leaves lots of residues. I clean my glasses with washing-up liquid and wash it off with lots of water, but clearly that's not an option for camera lenses.

I wish I had a suggestion, but I'm looking myself. Somewhere I heard of using iso-propanol (iso-propyl alcohol), but without some confirmation, I'm reluctant to try it. Any thoughts?

Greg
    If and that is IF camera lens coatings are similar to astronomy mirror coatings and eye piece coatings than a very little as in 1 of dish soap in bottled water would work well.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    I never use any cleaning fluid. Never have. Fog the glass by breathing on it and use lint free lens paper is all I've ever done. Of course in your climate, there's not much more humidity in one's breath than in the air so that may not work down there
    It was actually cold enough here to see my breath this morning. Because of our humidity mold is a problem.

Real Name
    Greg Lehey

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    If and that is IF camera lens coatings are similar to astronomy mirror coatings and eye piece coatings than a very little as in 1 of dish soap in bottled water would work well.
    I don't think that would harm the glass, but how do you go to the edge without getting water inside the lens?

Greg

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I use the same approach as others have suggested. Loose dust is blown or brushed away and more persistent contaminants are removed with a micro-fibre cloth. I have used the cleaning pen in the past, but it's been years since I had to resort to using one.

In the past, I used a wet cleaner as well as lens cleaning paper (wet the paper, not the lens element), but frankly lens cleaning technology has moved ahead and I haven't used wet cleaning for a very long time. I would never use a cleaning liquid as it will leave a deposit on the lens. Frankly these chemicals (surfactants) are primarily used to bind to oils and would be very difficult to rinse off a lens without having a liquid get into the lens.

Real Name
    Venser

I normally use my t-shirt. If it's stubborn, I lick it first to dampen it a little.

Real Name
    Richard

I ALWAYS shoot with a lens hood on - both indoors and out. The only exception to this practice is macro photography with my Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro lens which has a front element that is significantly recessed into the lens barrel.

Lens hoods do a lot more than simply preventing flare. They physically protect the lens from grime and fingerprints. I am sure that my need to clean my lenses very seldom can be attributed to the use of the lens hoods.

Real Name
    Kathy

Rocketblower if it's with me. Mostly just a lenspen. Otherwise, if I have to, a Zeiss moist towelette, with maybe a microfiber cloth wipe afters.

But if you want an exhaustive list of cleaning stuff for lenses, look at this lensrental article. It's seriously awe-inspiring.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    Rocketblower if it's with me. Mostly just a lenspen. Otherwise, if I have to, a Zeiss moist towelette, with maybe a microfiber cloth wipe afters.

But if you want an exhaustive list of cleaning stuff for lenses, look at this lensrental article. It's seriously awe-inspiring.
    You're right that is an impressive article.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Use lens hood (as per Richard)
    Dust/hair: Rocket blower
    Odd spots; lens pen
    Many spots; huff and micro-fibre cloth
    I appreciate that 'huff' may not work in Brian's climate, so yes, then I'd look for some kind of liquid to use instead.
    Not sure that what I might suggest would be shippable to Philippines though.

The main cause of 'many spots' is being too close to a steam locomotive and in the prevailing wind

I use a vacuum cleaner to remove most of the solid stuff from the lens - I find the power head is most useful as it really beats the stuff off the surface. If that does not do the trick, then a hammer and chisel used gently and with precision (that is critical!) is very effective for the most stubborn grime.

The lens rental article IS excellent!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Sandpaper for the really difficult bits.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Sandpaper for the really difficult bits.
    Isn't that supposed to be to polish out any chisel marks?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Isn't that supposed to be to polish out any chisel marks?
    I think the current wisdom is to use toothpaste on the sandpaper to give it that extra smooth finish... As you grind down the lens you can add (lots of) water to the process to make the grinding agent finer. Apparently there are issues with lenses that are not fully sealed.

Maybe putting it in the dishwasher...?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Of course, there is always the old fashioned way to clean using soap and water,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrdkFXsr5Us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast