Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Paper Sizes

Real Name
    Ted

Re: A other oddity

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Just to keep the reminiscence going

I still have my double sided Aristo slide rule. A beautiful and now entirely superseded instrument

Dave
    I 'spose this is out of date too, then:

Paper Sizes

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I used this one for quite sometime when I was learning, but nowadays it is easy to do it digitally.

Paper Sizes

Bill must have one of yours here, but I asked and he only knows about it. He flies more often than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    I 'spose this is out of date too, then:

Paper Sizes

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    I have been reluctant to enter this thread (for fear it will never end !) however you've touched a nerve with me here Trev. In my humble but probably troglodytic opinion, the use of the unit "cm" should be banned. Length can be perfectly well handled by metres and mm, cms only cause confusion and complicated measuring tapes. I've tried telling my wife this but she dismisses the idea imediately every time I raise the issue.

Dave
    From a consistency point of view, and as an ex-engineer, I TOTALLY agree with you.

However I got the same reaction from my wife as you got from yours... mm or m for dress sizes was not acceptable! Go figure...

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Just to keep the reminiscence going
    I still have my double sided Aristo slide rule. A beautiful and now entirely superseded instrument
    Dave
    I still have my double-sided Faber-Castell slide rule from school and university. Since the scales were based on logarithms we were required to use logs to build and operate a working model before we could have a purchased one in class. It taught us a lot about the mathematical principles involved. Of course that went out the window with the development of the electronic calculator...

Real Name
    Dem

what is this all aboot?

Clothes sizes aside, what is this all aboot?
    Paper Sizes
    from http://www.typicaldutchstuff.com

The shoe sizes, apart from being different in different countries, also often differ between men and women.

Why in the UK and Japan women are given shoe sizes half-a-size smaller than men with feet of the same length? Well done Australia for reversing the situation and putting the ladies half a size forward! But guess what, the US & Canada went a step further (literally) and bumped the shoe size for their ladies by 1.5 size compared to men. So, in the US, if your feet measure 26 cm (sorry, 10 and 1/4 inches), then you are only size 8.5 if you are a man but a mighty size 10 if you are a woman.

Why when a UK couple moves to Australia, he has the same shoe size as back home but she goes a size up? Oh... those long haul flights...

It is worth noting that despite having a wide range of sizes in the table above, a "foot-long" foot is off the scale. Why a foot (a unit of length) is called a "foot" when it is much longer than an average human foot? Think about it. Should have called it a "boot".
    Last edited by dem; 31st January 2016 at 10:49 AM.

Real Name
    George

Re: what is this all aboot?

Quote Originally Posted by dem View Post
    Clothes sizes aside, what is this all aboot?
    Paper Sizes
    from http://www.typicaldutchstuff.com

The shoe sizes, apart from being different in different countries, also often differ between men and women.

Why in the UK and Japan women are given shoe sizes half-a-size smaller than men with feet of the same length? Well done Australia for reversing the situation and putting the ladies half a size forward! But guess what, the US & Canada went a step further (literally) and bumped the shoe size for their ladies by 1.5 size compared to men. So, in the US, if your feet measure 26 cm (sorry, 10 and 1/4 inches), then you are only size 8.5 if you are a man but a mighty size 10 if you are a woman.

Why when a UK couple moves to Australia, he has the same shoe size as back home but she goes a size up? Oh... those long haul flights...

It is worth noting that despite having a wide range of sizes in the table above, a "foot-long" foot is off the scale. Why a foot (a unit of length) is called a "foot" when it is much longer than an average human foot? Think about it. Should have called it a "boot".
    Why call it typicaldutchstuff?

My shoesize is 46 but when I try an italian made shoe, they don't fit. Too narrow.

George

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: what is this all aboot?

Dem...I just copied your table to my pooter because I am buying my two sons' Nike stuff to bring over to Australia. I checked the shoe sizes and thought that my eldest son who I bought a pair of shoes from here did not complain to me out of respect for the bother I put buying it for him. Nope, apparently the US size is the same size they use in Oz. He took a pix of the size from the lip of the shoes I bought for him.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234