Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camera Upgrade

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Camera Upgrade

I haven't read all of the posts in the thread but...

Quote Originally Posted by asap1082 View Post
    Do you see a huge quality difference between the d5000 and d7100?
    The D5xxx and D7xxx series use the same sensor [EDIT: corrected below], so I don't think you'll see any difference in color and clarity.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 22nd January 2016 at 02:32 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

You wrote:

something that offers more depth and color than my d5100
    I'm not sure what depth refers to, but color is primarily a matter of lighting, exposure, and post processing, not your camera body.

If you want to improve image quality, you would get much more bang for your buck by buying a larger memory card so that you can shoot raw without worrying about storage than by investing in a new body.

I disagree with the postings above only in one respect: I think the issue of lenses is a red herring. I don't shoot Nikon, so I can't speak to the specific lenses. However, the differences in color rendition between the lenses I have used--probably close to a dozen on different digital bodies--are trivial compared to the impact of lighting, exposure, and postprocessing. I currently have 6 lenses, and I give exactly zero consideration to color in selecting between them for a given shoot.

I'd rather stay away from a "do it all" zoom lens. I do prefer prime and wide angle lenses.
    If you prefer primes to zooms (wide angle is something independent--you can get them either as primes or zoom--that's fine; folks should use whatever gets them the results they want. However, I think this is probably a distraction too. There are mediocre primes and superb zooms.

As several people have suggested, I think the place to start would be to post a few images with which you are dissatisfied, along with a note about what you find disappointing. Then folks can chime in with specific suggestions.

Real Name
    Mark

in relation to this -

4. If you are having quality issues when shooting off a tripod, my first guess is that something is likely off with your technique. If you jar your tripod or your shutter release approach is off, the tripod may not be as much help as you would like, and of course, not all tripods are created equal.

often forgotten but turn OFF any image stabalisation if the camera is on a tripod or it has the ability to add blur !

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    The D5xxx and D7xxx series use the same sensor, so I don't think you'll see any difference in color and clarity.
    Dave has alerted me (thank you, Dave!) that not all D7xxx cameras have the same sensor. Apparently the D7100 has more megapixels than the D7000. Even so, I still don't think you're going to see any significant difference in color and clarity when upgrading to a D7100.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by marlunn View Post
    in relation to this -

4. If you are having quality issues when shooting off a tripod, my first guess is that something is likely off with your technique. If you jar your tripod or your shutter release approach is off, the tripod may not be as much help as you would like, and of course, not all tripods are created equal.

often forgotten but turn OFF any image stabalisation if the camera is on a tripod or it has the ability to add blur !
    While there is some truth to this, that is definitely not always the case.

If your tripod is rock solid and your camera / lens combination does not have tripod detect capabilities (I understand some of the higher end Canon's do this, but I don't know about Nikon or other brands), then this is likely true.

Conversely, if you are shooting in an area where there are some vibrations (think of standing on a bridge with traffiic), windy conditions or a smaller tripod with relatively small legs or with the column extended, then image stabilization will help with the shot. If in doubt, take two shots; one with stabilization on and one off and pick the sharpest one.

The same thing goes for mirror up (if the camera has it). Sometimes it helps, often it is unnecessary.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I disagree with the postings above only in one respect: I think the issue of lenses is a red herring. I don't shoot Nikon, so I can't speak to the specific lenses. However, the differences in color rendition between the lenses I have used--probably close to a dozen on different digital bodies--are trivial compared to the impact of lighting, exposure, and postprocessing. I currently have 6 lenses, and I give exactly zero consideration to color in selecting between them for a given shoot.
    To a large extent I agree. I've taken excellent, sharp shots with kit lenses to the point where people did not believe me that they were done with the kit lens until they looked at the metadata.

That being said, you definitely have to stop down to f/8 - f/11 to get the best out of them and be careful when light hits the front element. These lenses do not have particularly sophisticated anti-reflection treatments and are more prone to flare than the more expensive lenses. The biggest negatives I have with the kits is their relatively poor mechanical construction and their abysmal manual focus.

Of course, they are relatively slow lenses, so most really shallow DoF shots are not possible.

Real Name
    Adam

I'm just going to pitch in here and reiterate the importance of shooting raw. Not only does raw give you the maximum flexibility over editing, it's important to understand that raw also gives you the maximum amount of data to edit with.

Another thing to mention, just in case... Make sure your lens is clean, free from finger print grease, dust etc, this goes for the rear element as well as the front!

Real Name
    Dan

That being said, you definitely have to stop down to f/8 - f/11 to get the best out of them and be careful when light hits the front element. These lenses do not have particularly sophisticated anti-reflection treatments and are more prone to flare than the more expensive lenses. The biggest negatives I have with the kits is their relatively poor mechanical construction and their abysmal manual focus.

Of course, they are relatively slow lenses, so most really shallow DoF shots are not possible.
    I entirely agree, and particularly so for your kind of work. All but one of my lenses are quite expensive ones, for those reasons. However, not having seen images from the OP, and just responding to her 'I want more color and depth,' I suspect that she is looking in the wrong place and that she is likely to be disappointed if she tries to solve her problem by buying more equipment, at least as a first step.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Two points to amplify Manfred's 4th point. Even a relatively inexpensive tripod improves its performance when you do not use the centre column .... not as convienient [ why I love my fully articulated LCD ].
    My other 'tripod' practice is to use the 10 second delay release and to not touch the camera during countdown/exposure .... many photos are spoilt by careful holding of the camera that is on a firm and steady support.
    Most cameras are perfectly capable of working well without human help

Real Name
    Allan Short

There has been a lot of advice given here all of it good from many excellent photographers. I think by what the original poster has stated it well maybe operator error and not the camera in which case a newer camera or lenses are not needed. What is needed is practice and more practice pushing yourself and camera combo to the edge of what you and it can do. We all have seen the newbie with 10 grand or more of new equipment not a clue in the world wonder why they did not get what they want. Then there is at the other end a person shooting with a 10 year old camera with kit lens and guess what is images are jaw dropper. The difference is knowledge, and that is gained through practice, and more practice. So to the Anna I have to say this, practice, practice, practice and more practice than maybe it maybe time to upgrade.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    Bill

Allan

That's absolutely correct, but by no means the whole story. In support of your comment, I was on a workshop recently where the instructor had picked up a box Brownie in a junk shop - complete with a roll of undeveloped film inside! When processed the roll had a number of frames that would have been well received in the C&C threads on this site!

On the other hand, there is a nebulous element that has to be considered, and which can be loosely described as user satisfaction. My original reply to Anna mentioned that I had upgraded from a D3200 to a D7100 and was totally delighted - even though the two have essentially the same internals. The 7100 is easier to use in varied settings that require adjusting aperture, speed and ISO, and just feels better.

Would I go back to a 3200 - no way even though I know that it will produce the same quality of image in identical shooting circumstances. These subjective "feel good" factors encourage the user to practice, practice and practice some more. As the (perhaps apocryphal) Chinese proverb has it: "Tell me, I'll forget. Show me, I may remember. But involve me, and I'll understand". We've done our part in telling and to some extent showing, but understanding may well require that Anna goes ahead and changes her gear.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by asap1082 View Post
    Hi Rob,
    I'd rather stay away from a "do it all" zoom lens. I do prefer prime and wide angle lenses. I definitely do some travel photography, but I also do a lot of straight up landscape photography. I travel a lot as well as other outdoor activities, so I want to be able to capture (as best as i can) what I see. I guess I might need to start shooting in RAW and just increase my card sizes.
    If you travel a lot, then you should think of a "do it all" zoom lens. I have 5 lenses that covers most shooting instances, an ultra wide angle 12 - 24mm, a 105mm to use with my macro tubes, 70-300mm for my general use, 150-500mm for my birdie shots, a 50mm for whatever I like to do with it that I had since my first DX days and now I am looking into a 24-70mm lens to accompany my 70-300mm. Each one covers what the others cannot. They are all FF lens and I am happy with them.

If I do not have these lenses and will only depend on primes, I will not be able to travel with so much in my backpack especially overseas. I am only 5' tall and I cannot imagine (nor want to bother) my husband being my mule all the time even if he is 6' tall. He is not into photography at all. He is a heavy equipment operator <g>.

Real Name
    Rob

Holy cow, it's like opinion overload.

Well if it were my money I would be going for best (optical quality) mid range zoom (maybe an 18-140) and stick with that and your 35mm prime. I hate my 18-105, it's just not good enough on a 24mp body.
    If you need wider than that a 10-20mm UWA zoom perhaps.
    If you are considering doing full frame, sell all your kit and get a D610 with a couple of nice primes. That will also fit in your budget.

Real Name
    TerryClarke

I have just upgraded to a D7100 but it is a complex piece of kit. I have an 18 140 lens ans a 55 300. You really have to know how to use this camera and it certainl isn't a point and shoot job, but I am sure that you are not in that category at all.

I have some splendid images, for my standard that is, as I see some excellent images on this site and some times I think when I see them that I know nothing about photography It's a great camera and I look forward to getting to know it, (only had it a week) and then I may put up some images for criticism.

I will try to upload one now.

Tez

Real Name
    Bill

Terry

I upgraded from a D3200 to a D7100 and it was the best move ever! Mind you, that was over a year ago and I'm still discovering things. The real (objective) benefit is that changing things like ISO/Aperture/Shutter speed and focus and exposure selection is easy and does not require using the menus. I'd suggest that you leave it on Auto for a bit and get used to the feel of it, then explore the various custom options. Running through the CIC tutorials would be worthwhile too. You may also find some helpful material on the Nikon Learn&Explore tablet/phone app.

Regards

Bill

Real Name
    TerryClarke

Twice I have tried to upload a picture. Just trying to do it again after printing the notes and following them. Here's hoping!!!
    Camera Upgrade

The instructions say Close window, but I can't as there isn't the usual x to close it. Neither is there a 'Manage Attachments button'.
    Neither is there a 'submit reply 'only 'post quick reply' ???????????

Quite how I did it I don't really know, Hit the Go Advanced button' but here it is above if anyone can see it
    Last edited by tezclarke; 27th January 2016 at 11:44 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Terry,

When you're trying to add a photo to a pre-existing thread, sometimes you have to use the "Go Advanced" button as you found out. Under typical circumstances, you will start your own thread in which case you usually won't encounter the issue that you came upon when uploading an image.

In the future, you might want to start your own thread when uploading your photos unless there is an explicit request in the thread for others to add their own images to the thread. Don't be surprised if you don't get much reaction to your above photo, as it's buried in a thread pertaining to the discussion of camera equipment.

Real Name
    TerryClarke

Thanks Mike I shall remember that.

Real Name
    buy me a drink first.

Hi Terry
    Is the above woodland shot an example of the inadequate colour rendition of your D5100? If so, I can assure you that either the user or the individual camera are faulty! The D5100 was the first camera I ever bought, which shows you how much of a "yoof" I am in photography circles. The reason I got rid of it was mainly quality control issues with my particular unit....which I didn't figure out for so long that by the time I did, I was sick of the thing. That said, the D5100 did produce many very good shots for me. In fact, it was only looking back at what I/it had produced a year or so later that I realised how good it was. Not that I regret moving on of course. I am happy with mirrorless and have been using a Sony A6000 for the last year or so. But don't be fooled by the plasticky body- that camera is capable of very good output. I agree with the other members- we need to see what you have been producing to know what the problem is. In the "wooodland scene" above, well it looks like the white balance is totally off. At first I thought maybe you were dissatisfied with the particularly cool Nikon colour palate. But now I'm not so sure

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12