Rui Lopes

Medieval Path (IX Century)

Pitőes da Júnias (Portugal):

Real Name
    John

Re: Medieval Path (IX Century)

Rui,

Nice composition, needs a little more contrast, the trees are almost lost in the clouds. One thing I've noticed in my photos is that there is a lack of detail in the leaves regardless of how well focused the image is or how well the image is exposed. You don't get any detail until you really isolate the leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Rui Lopes View Post
    Pitőes da Júnias (Portugal):

Real Name
    Rui Lopes

Thanks for your comment. May I ask what you mean by "really isolate the leaves"?

Real Name
    John

Rui,

A closeup shot is needed to bring out the detail in trees, otherwise it is just an image of light and dark shapes. Yes the overall image of the tree is visible but the actual structure of the leaves is basically an abstract shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Rui Lopes View Post
    Thanks for your comment. May I ask what you mean by "really isolate the leaves"?

I know exactly what you mean about isolate the leaves. Often, they tend to appear as a clump around the tree. I have tried increasing the shutter speed thinking that it is a wind rock problem but that can look worse.

Strangely, this problem appears better in a print than on the screen. But with distant trees the effect doesn't worry me too much.

I agree the lighting is a bit flatter than I would like but the problem here is that brightening the overall scene will spoil the dark clouds so I would leave it alone. Except, possibly brightening a layer and feathering it towards the sky may be worth a try.

Real Name
    Rui Lopes

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I know exactly what you mean about isolate the leaves. Often, they tend to appear as a clump around the tree. I have tried increasing the shutter speed thinking that it is a wind rock problem but that can look worse.

Strangely, this problem appears better in a print than on the screen. But with distant trees the effect doesn't worry me too much.

I agree the lighting is a bit flatter than I would like but the problem here is that brightening the overall scene will spoil the dark clouds so I would leave it alone. Except, possibly brightening a layer and feathering it towards the sky may be worth a try.
    Thanks for the advice