Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I've got new computer, but still need a new LCD monitor

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I've got new computer, but still need a new LCD monitor

I've got new computer
    ... but still need a new LCD monitor
    Currently using an old 19" 4:3 CRT and the desk is buckling under the weight

I was thinking about 22-23", but one that rotates to portrait orientation (and ideally tells computer too), any suggestions? There don't seem to be that many that rotate these days, at least not that I have found searching, it's almost like it went out of fashion.

Obviously don't want to spend more than necessary, but let's say budget is £300 tops.

Computer is desktop and only supports one monitor, but I have been working like that on 15" laptop for ages anyway.

Thanks,

Re: I've got new computer, but still need a new LCD monitor

Real Name
    Ben

I asked a similar question back in April and received a reply from "Pictus":

-----------------------
    Re: Monitor Color
    The notebook uses a TN panel and that is bad for retouching, what you want is a good IPS model.
    The technologies http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles...chnologies.htm

Sites to check before buying a monitor:
    http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/reviews.html (look at the ones with Very good result)
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews.htm
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=39226
    ----------------------

Based on reading those links I bought a refurbished Dell 2209WA (with full one year warranty). This has the IPS technology so the colors look the same regardless of viewing angle. It rotates to portrait though I have not used this feature and am not sure how I would activate it (maybe it's automatic? - don't know). It's 22 inch and cost about US$245. I'm very happy with it.

One bonus I discovered is my video card supports two monitors so now I can use two screens as though it were one very wide screen. I use the 2209WA for the photo and the other screen for all the program menus.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Dave,

My first thought was "consider a 24 inch model", keeping in mind that there's a different "scale" for sizes when we're talking widescreen. 22" isn't exactly "bad", but if you have the room then spending the extra $1.50 will probably make life easier for you in the long run,

Real Name
    Richard

I would definitely go bigger than 22" if it is a widescreen. I was using a 19" Dell (normal ratio monitor) and I purchased an NEC Multisync EA231 WMi. This 23" monitor, while considerably wider than my dell 19", is actually not as high. I wish I had purchased the next larger size monitor. I think that alvarito was right on by recommending a 26" monitor.

I am lucky that my new computer with Windows 7 can support two monitors. I have my 23" on the left and my 19" (in the portrait mode) on the right. This makes a really nice setup since I can see my thumbnails easily on the 23" monitor and can open vertical images n the 19" monitor which is in the portrait mode.

At first, I had the monitors reversed with the 19" on the left and the 23" on the right. This was totally unhandy since I had to reverse the way my cursor worked. To place the cursor on the left monitor, I had to drag it off the right side of the right monitor. The same thing when I wanted to move the cursor from my left monitor to the right one, I had to drag it off the left side of the monitor. Now I can move the cursor logically, move to the left for the left monitor and to the right for the right monitor.

I don't "think" my NEC can rotate from landscape to vertical configuration. At least, it doesn't seem like it can rotate without putting a lot of pressure to turn it, possibly breaking the suppport.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 20th July 2010 at 02:15 AM.

Real Name

Hi Richard,

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I would definitely go bigger than 22" if it is a widescreen. I was using a 19" Dell (normal ratio monitor) and I purchased an NEC Multisync EA231 WMi. This 23" monitor, while considerably wider than my dell 19", is actually not as high. I wish I had purchased the next larger size monitor. I think that alvarito was right on by recommending a 26" monitor.
    Hmmm, I have just started using a 19", so I am going to be in same position as you, that sounds like more expense.

I am lucky that my new computer with Windows 7 can support two monitors. I have my 23" on the left and my 19" (in the portrait mode) on the right. This makes a really nice setup since I can see my thumbnails easily on the 23" monitor and can open vertical images n the 19" monitor which is in the portrait mode.
    I have Windows 7, but I am not sure my NVIDIA GeForce GT 320 graphics card (or motherboard) can do 2 monitors, it might, for example if I can plug in HDMI/DVI as well as analogue SVGA, or use the blanked off motherboard port in addition to the GeForce card. I haven't tried, but there's no hints in the OS, but maybe they don't appear until a second monitor is connected.

At first, I had the monitors reversed with the 19" on the left and the 23" on the right. This was totally unhandy since I had to reverse the way my cursor worked. To place the cursor on the left monitor, I had to drag it off the right side of the right monitor. The same thing when I wanted to move the cursor from my left monitor to the right one, I had to drag it off the left side of the monitor. Now I can move the cursor logically, move to the left for the left monitor and to the right for the right monitor.
    This is easily changeable if you want to have portrait screen on left. Go to Control Panel > Display > Change Display Settings and you should see two screens at top, if it works like Vista, click and drag "2" to the otherside of "1". Obviously I can't check this.

I don't "think" my NEC can rotate from landscape to vertical configuration. At least, it doesn't seem like it can rotate without putting a lot of pressure to turn it, possibly breaking the suppport.
    Please don't try I wouldn't want to be the instigator of a broken screen.

Thanks to all who have replied so far, now I see so many screen .... burble, burble, burble I don't know where to go.

I have found all the links useful, many thanks to Francisco, Ben and Colin.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Mark

wow..congrats.

I always wanted a desktop computer but since my work is always on the road, i had my laptop. My dream desktop before was Acer predator.

Mark

Real Name
    Jim

Just took delivery on a Dell 2209WA.Initial impression...I like!
    To have display correct in portrait mode,you have to change the orientation through the video card.
    Coming from a 17" diagonal there isn't a big difference in screen height (1/4"more).

Real Name

I'm still procrastinating:

Unsure whether to go for one big monitor at say 23/24" at 1920 x 1080 (HD) or even 1920 x 1200, or 22" 1680 x 1050px (non HD - will this matter?) which rotates (but will I bother?).

Or get a 22" and a smaller one for permanent vertical orientation on the side, as Richard has.
    Two monitors, which I think my computer probably can support afterall, is a nice feature to have.

It's only money

The Dell 2209WA (in silver) is quite a bit cheaper than say NEC or HP, although there are apparently very similar models (in black and 1920 x 1080) from Dell like the U2211,so what's the difference? I could get from Amazon for less than price of black 2209WA and viewing angle for both seems to be 178 degrees. OK, it's a little dimmer 250 vs 300 cd/m2 and less contrast, 1000:1 vs 3000:1, is that important enough?

Decisions, decisions ...
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 22nd July 2010 at 01:24 AM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Dave,

A couple of things come to mind ...

1. Re: Contrast ratio - for all intents and purposes, stated contrast ratios are marketing hype. You might get a zillion to 1 in a monitor, but you sure ain't gunna get blacks that are blacker than a black hole in a real world print ... and if anything higher contrast ratios actually work AGAINST you in preparing stuff for the real world. Check the contrast ratio on the Eizo ColorEdge CG303W - one of (if not THE) best monitors on the planet for doing what we do; what's the contrast ratio? Is it 10,000:1? is it 100,000:1? No ... it's 850:1 ... yes, you read it right

http://www.eizo.com/global/products/...03w/index.html

2. Re: Vertical resolution ... take the most you can find; lack of vertical resolution is a major PITA when trying to retouch vertical images. The ONLY way to do it efficiently is to re-orient the screen and that (after doing it a few times a day) becomes a minor PITA, but a PITA all the same. My main screen is 1600 x 1200 and is "OK"; my home one is 1080 and even that is barely adequate (ie "does the job", but less than ideal). 1050 would be even worse.

HTH

Real Name
    Richard

Although my new monitor is actually a bit less in height than my older 19" monitor, it really shows the thumbnails bigger since they need fewer lines of thumbnails to show the entire group.

I am still learning about my new system. As an example, with my old 19" monitor, I never needed to change the size of the fonts because I could easily read them with or without glasses. However on the 23" wide screen, font size was too small. Even going to the control panel and increasing font size to large didn't help. However, the ability to change the zoom level (located at the bottom right of the screen), really makes the difference. My eyes are old and I need bigger fonts, even when I wear glasses. The wide screen allows a bigger view size without flowing over the screen.

BTW: Has anyone used "the snipping tool" of Windows 7. It is great. When any website is open, even PDF files, just choose the snipping tool and place the crop lines around any part of a web page you want to copy. You can then paste the copied section into an email or Word document. It works very well!

Just wish to add on to Colin's post.

Static contrast ratio, as opposed to dynamic contrast ratio, is what you should be looking at. 1000:1 and above would be ideal. However, each company uses different measurements to determine contrast ratios, so it's silly to compare monitors based on contrast ratios. In any case, this is not a very important aspect you should be looking at. Color Gamut (Adobe RGB, NTSC) is probably more important.

Good threads: 2010 Guide to Buying LCDs, ocforums. I don't agree with all that is said but it's nonetheless a good read.

I would also recommend (borrowing?) or buying a monitor calibration tool, like an Eye One Display 2.

Real Name

Colin, Richard, Blazing fire,

Thanks all for keeping it coming, I haven't, as of the time of this post, bought anything yet.

However, I have borrowed a friends (now unused) Dell 1702FP which runs at 1280 x 1024 (17" and 4:3) which has proved the PC graphics card can run DVI plus VGA as two outputs and extended desktop

I found a rotatable model in a shop yesterday, but when we tried it vertical, it was clearly a TN display as the viewing angles were simply atrocious (so don't be tempted by a Dell WS2229h anyone). I should have known at just £150 it wouldn't be IPS, if it had been ok, I was going to get two at that price and leave one permanently vertical. So back to square one. It seems (retail) shops just don't stock decent monitors so I'll have to order online.

Colin, Blazing fire,
    Thanks for the advice on contrast ratios.

Colin,
    Thanks for the advice on vertical resolution. I think to break the 1050 barrier I am going to have to go to 24", which'll mean one good (IPS) monitor and possibly a 'cheap-as-chips' (TN) second one for allowing access to the desktop and the (guilty pleasure) ability to watch TV while multi-tasking. If the good one can rotate to vertical all well and good, I'll have that ability should the need outweigh the inconvenience.
    Blazing fire,
    That is quite a good technology write up on that link, thanks.
    Richard,
    Thanks for the update on your new computer and monitor, I know what you mean about reading text with old eyes, I have the same problem - the only word of caution I would sound is forgetting you are 'browser zoomed' when viewing pictures as it will make them look soft. (although Firefox has a 'zoom text only' option I am just investigating)

I haven't as yet found the Win 7 snipping tool, but it sounds like the one on Vista I am used to (at home), I must look that out, as it'll be useful here at CiC.

Once again; my thanks to everyone who has assisted above because even where some have only said 'what s/he said' it helps re-inforce which things are important to us as photographers.

I will give monitor calibration some serious thought when I have something better to view pics on than a laptop screen or ancient, soft CRT.
    Although the laptop screen doesn't seem to have held me back so far, I can hardly be the judge and I have to get into the habit of shooting a WB reference and applying that first with your help, I'm learning ...

Cheers,

I just purchased i7 system desktop w/ ATI Radeon 5850 video card and I am looking of getting a Samsung 23.6" 2494HS BLACK LCD. Anyone had tried using samsung LCD monitors? Is it good for editing?

Real Name

OK, I got a small one, so just the big one for photo use to consider, budget say; £300.

Current thoughts are:
    HP ZR24W - £350 - 24 inch IPS 1920 x 1200 (16:10) rotates if needed, sRGB gamut only
    Viewsonic VP2365wb - £225 - 23 inch IPS 1920 x 1080 (16:9) rotates if needed, sRGB gamut only
    Dell U2211H - £235 - 22 inch IPS 1920 x 1080 (16:9) rotates if needed, sRGB gamut only
    Dell U2311H - £265 - 23 inch IPS 1920 x 1080 (16:9) rotates if needed, sRGB gamut only
    NEC EA231WMi - £280 - 23 inch IPS 1920 x 1080 (16:9) rotates if needed, sRGB gamut only

Judged better, but just too expensive:
    Dell U2410 or HP LP2475W - both £460 - 24inch IPS 1920 x 1200 (16:10) rotates if needed, wider than sRGB gamut

Question for someone like Colin (but others welcome to answer):
    Do I, for web use, need a wider than sRGB gamut monitor?

I don't think I can justify the extra spend for a hobby.

Sticking to the first group; best res (at a price) HP ZR24W, but I have seen one, it is big and chunky
    Cheapest Viewsonic

Or drop down another level to the 22inch and 1680 x 1050 panels like the Dell 2209WA which is well liked?

Thanks again,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 26th July 2010 at 02:30 AM.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by dnomyar View Post
    I just purchased i7 system desktop w/ ATI Radeon 5850 video card and I am looking of getting a Samsung 23.6" 2494HS BLACK LCD. Anyone had tried using samsung LCD monitors? Is it good for editing?
    Afraid I don't know, but if it is any help, I gather the panels in Dell's are made by Samsung.