Thread: Which tele lens for Canon?

Which tele lens for Canon?

Hi all.

Anyone help me decide what is the best of zoom lens in:

- Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
    - Tamron AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 Macro
    - Canon EF 75-300mm F4-5.6 III USM
    - Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro

I do not have much budget for zoom lens but next month I have a trip, so please help me !!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Which tele lens for Canon choose ?

Quote Originally Posted by boko View Post
    Hi all.

I do not have much budget for zoom lens but next month I have a trip, so please help me !!
    Since they're all quite long and slow, I'd choose the one with IS because you're not going to be able to keep your shutterspeed above about 1/400th all the time if hand-holding at the long end of the zoom range.

It gets a fairly good review here http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/19...report--review although, as you would expect at that price, the plastic construction quality is a touch weaker than metal lenses.

The Sigma 70-300 also gets a good report.

Real Name
    Jim

Another vote for the 55-250 IS.I owned this lens and ,for the price,it's very nice.IS will help.
    Had the Tamron....don't bother.
    75-300...poor performer.

Real Name
    Robert S.

What other lenses are you going to take on your trip? I suggest taking also a lense for wider angles, like 18-55mm. If you are going to take only one lense on your trip I would take the 55-250mm. Do not mix up the 75-300 and 70-300 mm lense from Canon.

I personally own a Canon EF 70-300mm IS USM (NON-DO), but I am not that happy with this lense. When it is streched out to 300mm it fells very wobbly. The front lense rotates during focusing. If you want to use a polarizer that can be tricky. I did not test another one, but my example tends to loose sharpness towards the edges, although I use a 40D that has an APC-C size sensor like the 350D and the lense is designed for full frame cameras. Regardless it normally does an average good job.
    http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/20...report--review

Relating to different photography forums the 75-300mm is not that good. I never had one in my hands, so I can't say anything personal about it.

bye
    Robert
    Last edited by Sunray; 16th July 2010 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Link inserted

Real Name
    Remco

I've got the APO version of the Sigma 70-300, and until now I like it (but I'm not used to top lenses either). The 'macro' mode lets you get to .5x magnification (good for flowers and butterflies)
    One remark: I use a Sony body (A330) with internal stabilisation, which helps...

An example is attached, shot @ 300 mm, F13, 1/200s, 200 iso (stabilisation helped here, I suspect...). The image is a 100% crop (700 pixels wide), I couldn't get closer to the bird, and it didn't want to get closer to me either

dsc03672.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 17th July 2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: add image inline

Real Name
    Richard

Some pluses for the 55-250mm is that, because of its 55mm short side, it meshes better with the 18-55mm Kit lens which many photographers use. Obviously, it has IS and the filter size is the same as the 18-55mm so you would not have the expense of purchasing a second CPL filter. I wouldn't be without a CPL for most of my outdoor photography.

Another vote for the Sigma 70-300 APO. Great lens for the price and beats the canons hands down in IQ.
    As for the 55-200 IS it is a very nice Lens and the IQ is comparable (good!) to the 18-55 IS. I had it for a week and sold it. the "reach" between 200&250 is not much and the focal renge fromm 55-250 showed another restraint of these "new" 18-55 Kits, you're pretty restricted. the 18-55 is to short (IMHO) for a walkaround and the 55-250 to long. Mostly I found myself to either hoof it or switching lenses to often. My solution was to get the 18-135 IS as walkaround....
    If you can afford it get the 18-135 IS on sale (I paid $380CDN new) as the IQ is superior to the 18-55-250IS and the focal range is highly versatile. as a zooom I use the Sigma 70-300 APO which is very nice and beats the other offerings in the low price range (IMHO). As long as you keep the wide and to around 24 (on the 18-135) the distortions are barely noticeble and from 18-24 DPP does a great job (to fix the barrel) or I use the kit lens (if I have it with me and need that FL).
    another one as a walkaround lens I use for lightweight and "beater" is the Tamron AF 28-80 f/3.5-5.6. Great IQ(compares easily to the 18-55IS) but a little warmer colour reproduction than the canon and you can get it for next to nothing (~$50 new).
    Even though it might be a little late for your trip, it may me of soem use.

Real Name
    MIKE

I cant really comment on the lenses you are considering but would suggest that the Canon 75-300mm is one that is to be missed. I find it a bit slow and cumbersome in tracking, although in fairness the results once it gets there are not to bad. I am using it on a Canon 7d but it is a seldom used lens that frustrates a bit I have however had a couple of shots taken with it published so maybe I should not be to critical of it. Nothing to do with your question but the best and sharpest lens i have is my 60mm 2.8 which gives fantastic results. You might want to think about hiring lenses and giving them a try. Remember your best lens is some one elses nightmare.
    This photography lark is a minefield and really down to personal preference.
    Best wishes,

Mike Webster

Re: Which tele lens for Canon?

Quote Originally Posted by boko View Post
    Hi all.

Hi,
    For me Tamron70@300 macro was a nightmare!
    Radu Dinu

Its not on your list, but the 70-200F4L is a great lens. While the base version doesn't have IS (that's more money ), it is very well built, faster, and has razor sharp optics across the zoom range. AF speed/accuracy is top notch.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 12th August 2010 at 08:20 PM.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Eric M View Post
    Its not on your list, but the 70-200F4L is a great lens. While the base version doesn't have IS (that's more money ), it is very well built, faster, and has razor sharp optics across the zoom range. AF speed/accuracy is top notch.
    I'll vote for the 70-200 family too - one of my "staple" lenses. It all comes down to money -- if you can, grab the new EF70-200mm F2.8L IS USM II version - it's the latest in the series and is sharper than many primes.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    It all comes down to money -- if you can, grab the new EF70-200mm F2.8L IS USM II version - it's the latest in the series and is sharper than many primes.
    Oops! There went the budget.

I'm not sure about the OP's interest level in photography, but expensive glass costs more for a reason. There would be much wisdom in renting a lens for the trip and saving for the best possible glass in the near future.

One of my favs is the 70-200f4L IS ($1200 US). It is reasonably priced and provides amazing performance.

Real Name

Oops! There went the budget.
    Nah - I sold my original version to fund the bulk of it

Colin, not to get OT, but the images on your pbase galleries are fantastic. Thanks for the inspiration. I'm now a huge fan of your landscapes.

Real Name

Colin, not to get OT, but the images on your pbase galleries are fantastic. Thanks for the inspiration. I'm now a huge fan of your landscapes.
    Thanks Eric - very kind of you to say so

PS: They're all for sale!

Helo Boko,

Although its not on you list, you could try a EF 90-300 lens. Its not top of the line, however they are worth ever dollar. I've used this lens for a airshow with good results. Contrast can be a problem, however photoshop will fix that.

Warbirds over Wanaka 2010