Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Project 52, First quarter by Adam (adzman808)

Real Name
    Adam

2016 Project 52, First quarter by Adam (adzman808)

OK I'm in

I'm not going to post an image just yet, the one I'm planning to use is currently in a CiC competition, so lets wait until that's finished... not saying the shame of a low score might make me rethink it, but y'know... (jokes aside it is unlikely to change my mind)

As NYD is a Friday, I figure week one is this week, because for me the first day of the week is a Monday. You may disagree... Bite me.

So why am I doing this?

Search me guv, I've truly no clue!

But seriously....

This year, I tried my first 365 and it's been hard going and I've failed, well cheated, miserably!

Sure there will be 365 shots, sure they will be all shot in 2015, but one a day? Nah more like 4 one day, none for the next 4, also if I'm honest there's been no continuity in theme and plenty of erm, um, well filler crap frankly.

[NB, I reserve the right to struggle with this one and post filler crap, in fact dear reader you may be hard pressed to tell which is filler crap and which isn't ]

If I'm honest 2015:365 did nothing for me really.

I'm thinking that by dropping to one a week and doing it here there's scope for feedback, which might help

But help with what?

Good question.

I set myself some personal photographic goals in 2015 & I feel I've more or less obtained them... I won't completely disappear up my own bum hole explaining them to you...

...but let's just say they centred around cohesion, for better or worse, trying to make my shots look like they were all shot by the same person

So I'm taking this on with the working title premise of what I like to shoot... which I'm not entirely sure how to describe, especially briefly or without sound pretentious (moi? )

But I like when my shots have a mood to them, I like to try and capture things as I felt about them at the time of seeing them. Ideally I'd like the viewer to get a sense of mood from it too, even if it's a different mood than the one I had... I often try things like thinking of a song I like as I shoot or some times being struck with a mood, mentally composing a shot around that thought and then going to get that shot.

Basically I'm a pretentious bugger!

I'm not big into PP. For me PP is like ketchup - put it on a appropriate meal, don't use it to hide a burnt meal.

Well lets see what I come up with...

:EDIT:

OK, so here's a couple of examples of how I changed a little photographically in 2015, I post these by way of demonstration, and you may very well prefer the old me!

So here's a shot of a watch I own. Taken in 2014.

2016 Project 52, First quarter by Adam (adzman808)DSCF1420_v1 by Adam, on Flickr

I've approached this shot with a view to showing the dial and how it looks irl.

Here's the same watch taken in 2015.

2016 Project 52, First quarter by Adam (adzman808)Take the Highway to the End of the Night by Adam, on Flickr

This doesn't show the watch really, it (attempts??) to show the feeling of the watch

If you much prefer the first shot, then I fear my 2016:52 will not be for you because I'm aiming for the second shot these days
    Last edited by Adzman808; 30th December 2015 at 10:22 PM.

Re: 2016 Project 52, First quarter by Adam (adzman808)

Welcome to the challenge, Adam.

For me, your second image says 'Time for a drink'.

Real Name
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Welcome to the challenge, Adam.

For me, your second image says 'Time for a drink'.
    Thanks Geoff,

Yup, that'll do... It might work better if it was a Martini (I'll leave people to ask why if they care!) but yes that's the mood, it's late, it's dark, whatever one has had to do that day is finished (note the watch is fitted with a "military RAF strap"), time to unwind, take the watch off, poor a stiff one and take one's self to the very end of the night.

By contrast the first shot shows a rather marvellous gilt dial on a pretty rare watch (only 300 made), which saying so myself, I've done a good job on, because it's a very reflective surface and I don't own a CPL! But that's all the shot says..

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I like the second one, Adam...that looks very nice and with your explanation I can understand so well for those who need a stiff drink every now and then. I just can't process wine very so I avoid it like hell!

Real Name
    Adam

The Clock Says It's Time To Close Now [2016:52#1]

OK, so let's start this off then... (you may have seen this already in the mini comp)

2016 Project 52, First quarter by Adam (adzman808)The Clock Says It's Time to Close Now by Adam, on Flickr

Taken on 29/12/2015

35mm on APS-C (so about 50something in old money )
    F1.4 + 4stop ND
    ISO 200 (base)
    1/3500 SS
    PP in Capture One 9
    No crop
    WB set via WhiBal
    Multi metering mode or whatever it's called (not spot or average)

You go out on a nice morning, take a few shots... The light gets a bit harsh, so before calling it a day, you stop at the local café for some toast and orange juice

Then you notice this wonderful diffused light fills the place from the frosted windows, yet the shadows are strong and the juxtaposition of what you see interests you. You wait a few moments seeing how it looks when someone walks in or walks out (which I went with above) and how it looks with no one there at all!

You're kinda just playing, waiting for the toast to turn up... Don't even bother to change the camera back out of the setting you had set for the outside shots.... And it turns out to be your best shot of the morning!

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Adzman808; 24th January 2016 at 10:12 PM.

Real Name
    Adam

It's an Upside Down World [2016:52#2]

2016 Project 52, First quarter by Adam (adzman808)It's an Upside Down World by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

F4
    1/100
    FL: 22.7 M43 (approx. 50mm eqv)
    ISO: 500

Taken 5th Jan 2016

Think of this as provisional week 2 entry... It hasn't stopped raining all week and the forecast doesn't look like it's going to stop until next week!

So I took a quick moment during a dull in the rain to grab this shot.... I fear it might be the only chance I get this week... either this of some kitschy crap from around the house
    Last edited by Adzman808; 24th January 2016 at 10:17 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: It's an Upside Down World

Quote Originally Posted by Adzman808 View Post
    2016 Project 52, First quarter by Adam (adzman808)It's an Upside Down World by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

F4
    1/100
    FL: 22.7 M43 (approx. 50mm eqv)
    ISO: 500

Think of this as provisional week 2 entry... It hasn't stopped raining all week and the forecast doesn't look like it's going to stop until next week!

So I took a quick moment during a dull in the rain to grab this shot.... I fear it might be the only chance I get this week... either this of some kitschy crap from around the house
    Nicely captured.

Real Name
    Adam

Substitution?

I'm thinking of substituting my week2 image for one I've taken today

What do folks reckon?

Better or worse than the upside down one?

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: Substitution?

I like the upside down one better...it is a nicer composition...

With the last image, I would crop a little tighter on the right. Maybe a sliver of the left if necessary, then try a different size ratio; perhaps 5 x 4, square or 4 x 5, possibly just a fraction from the bottom? Concentrate mostly on the rain drops and lose any other distractions, particularly with the right side. Keep the top as it is now.

There is definitely a scene to be had there, but it needs a little bit of tweaking. Just in time to start week 3.

The previous reflection image works fine. I wonder about showing the merest tad more of the cars, but not a serious issue to worry about.

Real Name
    Adam

more like this?

a bit like this?

That is getting there, but possibly try a little less of a crop from the left and more from the right?

It is one of those scenes where several alternatives need to be tried before suddenly it all 'falls into place' and looks well balanced. Small adjustments will make a lot of difference to the final outcome.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Adam I really like this image . IMO this is one of the images which should be kept as is because the environment adds to the image.

You have a different eye for photography and I also like your coffee shop image.

Quote Originally Posted by Adzman808 View Post
    I'm thinking of substituting my week2 image for one I've taken today

What do folks reckon?

Better or worse than the upside down one?

Real Name
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Hi Adam I really like this image . IMO this is one of the images which should be kept as is because the environment adds to the image.

You have a different eye for photography and I also like your coffee shop image.
    Thank you very much Binnur, my eye in this shot has caused me to get the wettest jeans I've had in a very long time

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Adam I am enjoying your images. Not perfect but refreshingly different. Keep it up.

P.S. I too prefer the uncropped version of the car that is in danger of showering you with water.

Real Name
    mark

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    I like the upside down one better...it is a nicer composition...
    So do I,

Real Name
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Adam I am enjoying your images. Not perfect but refreshingly different. Keep it up.

P.S. I too prefer the uncropped version of the car that is in danger of showering you with water.
    Thanks Paul.

I'm not sure that perfect is really something to aim to attain...great if it ever happens though!

Having slept on the puddle one, I think it works as is... There's no real distraction in it, it's a wet street scene and with the possible exception of the zebra crossing, it all just adds context

Real Name
    Adam

A Closer Look [2016:52#3]

2016 Project 52, First quarter by Adam (adzman808)A Closer Look by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

Taken 13th Jan 2016

35mm on APSC
    F3.2
    ISO 400
    1/125

I saw this guy walking up the hill and pause to read the poster... I waited until some *thoughtless* pedestrian moved out of the way, then I took my shot!

It's been quite well received (on here and on Flickr), probably because I took my time about framing it and y'all gave me lots of pointers on the cropping

But it just took itself really, I just happened to be there!
    Last edited by Adzman808; 25th January 2016 at 06:09 PM.

Yes, this looks good.

My only slight negative thoughts are that the verticals are fractionally slanted and there is a tiny bright reflection above the man's cap which is a bit distracting so I would clone it out.

And, of course, the post heading!

Real Name
    John

I like the repetitive pattern of the frames and the ventilators taking you to the subject. I like this a lot. Nice conversion as well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast