Thread: I'm a newbie

Real Name
    Kim Lerman

I'm a newbie

Hi, just got my d3300 last month with kit lens and 55-200 zoom. Since then I've purchased a sigma 70-200 f2.8 and nikkor 35mm f1.8. Just sold my kit lens and zoom to get the nikkor 18-200. Now just have the three lenses. Love taking pictures and experimenting with different settings. Would love another prime but not sure what to get. Also still very confused about iso settings and how they relate! Hoping to learn more here. Trying to find others in my area to take pictures with. Just glad to be part of this forum to gain knowledge. Thanks!

Real Name
    Rob

Re: I'm a newbie

Hi there, sounds like you have a fair bit of kit there to be getting on with.
    Is there any particular reason you want another prime lens? The 35mm dx lens you have is excellent and versatile.
    Do you know what type of photography you want to do (what subjects)? That might help.

Rob

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Save your money for the meantime and go out and take photographs. When you get to the stage that you need a new lens you will know what it is you need and more importantly why you need it.
    Kit for kit's sake just gives you more to carry.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Klerman13 View Post
    Also still very confused about iso settings and how they relate! Hoping to learn more here. Trying to find others in my area to take pictures with. Just glad to be part of this forum to gain knowledge. Thanks!
    Hi,

May I wish you a warm welcome to the CiC forums.

Could you do me a favour please?
    Could you click Settings (right at the top),
    then Edit Profile (on left)
    and put your first name in the Real Name field
    and where you are (roughly) in the Location field,
    then click the Save Changes button below and to right,
    this helps everyone give you more personal and relevant answers - thanks in advance.

On the subject of ISO, etc., have you read any of the Tutorials here at CiC?
    In particular, I'd suggest: EXPOSURE TRIANGLE: APERTURE, ISO & SHUTTER SPEED
    It contains links to other pages on specific areas that may also interest you and be related.

Cheers, Dave
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 7th December 2015 at 08:54 AM.

Real Name
    Kim Lerman

Taking pictures of anything right now. Took a lot when my boys were playing baseball and soccer and I love the actions shots. Then when I got my prime lens I got into photographing objects and playing with the settings. Not sure why I want another prime just yet! I'll just learn as much as I can and when I out grow what I have I'll look into other equipment.

Real Name
    Rob

That sounds like a good plan Kim.

I was in the same boat and to be honest I always want more stuff. Use what you have and if you decide you want a longer portrait lens, or a specific macro or a ultra wide angle...... Do it after you have really decided what you need/want.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Kim, welcome to CiC...from here in Missouri. Don't worry about wanting to expand the number of lens that you have right now...learn from what you have first. Learn from our experience, I should say, learn from my experience of purchasing my gears...it did not teach me anything but my pride of having been able to purchase was just it. Until I sat down at try to learn my camera did I realize, I shouldn't have bought most of what I have which are now sitting down on my shelves doing nothing. As for your comment about

Also still very confused about iso settings and how they relate!
    Look for Exposure Triangle articles in the internet. One of them will lead you to the tutorial on this site too...I just do not know how to look for the links here while writing this response. Anyway, if you will find some articles that just goes over your head, try to research some more articles that will suit your understanding at this stage...there will be a lot of examples on how you can co-relate ISO to Shutter Speed or Shutter Speed to Aperture and back.

Hope you enjoy your time with us.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Klerman13 View Post
    Taking pictures of anything right now. Took a lot when my boys were playing baseball and soccer and I love the actions shots. Then when I got my prime lens I got into photographing objects and playing with the settings. Not sure why I want another prime just yet! I'll just learn as much as I can and when I out grow what I have I'll look into other equipment.
    Hi Kim,

Welcome to the group. Are you familiar with Nikon lens descriptions, if looking for another lens make sure it's an AF-S unless you are comfortable with manual focusing.