Thread: ND filters

ND filters

Trying to decide which way to go...I would like to purchase an ND filter for my 77mm 24-105 lens for long exposures, day photography. As a beginner I am wondering if it is best to purchase a screw on variable ND to start with or look at the Lee filter system ....does anyone have any advice on which ones to look at ??

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: ND filters

Photofriend I think it you ask one of the Moderators to move this to another thread, you would be a better response to your question. However I will add one piece of info, I use the Lee system for a number of years now, they do not make a variable ND filter, only fixed stop such as 1-stop, 2-stop, 3-stop, 4-stop, 5-stop (Little Stopper) and the 10-stop (Big Stopper), now they also make GND filters but not in 5 or 10 stops. If you are looking for a excellent variable ND filter than I suggest Singh-ray I believe it is 2 to 8 stops.
    Again I suggest that you get a mod to move to a different thread.

Cheers: Allan

MOD EDIT - Post moved, along with the original above, into this new thread. Thanks, Allan.
    Last edited by Donald; 3rd December 2015 at 04:12 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

One thing that you may want to consider is when/how you plan to use the filter and whether stacking with another filter will be necessary. For example the only time that I use ND is when shooting water when it is beneficial to also use a CPL. When used in a stack there may be practical issues to consider when making your decision (e.g. rotation of filters, vignetting, etc.)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thanks to Allan for pointing out that the original post was in the 'Meet the Members' section and not likely to get many replies there. So it and his reply have been moved in to this new thread.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Welcome to CiC...would be nice to know what you wanted us to call you apart from "Hey!"

As my response to your question, I use a screwed on ones on each of my lens...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I've gone both ways, sort of. I have a 1, 2 and 3 stop Lee filters that I can use stacked up to 6-stops (using the basic filter holder) as long as I don't shoot with too wide an angle lens. I also have a polarizing filter that I can add to that group and get another couple of stops more. The advantage is that I can blend ND with GND filters in that setup. I use the Lees more when I do regular landscapes (not super long exposure ones) in bright conditions where I don't want to stop down too much. I don't have the Big Stopper.

I also have 77mm circular ND filter; a 5-stop Tiffen and a 10-stop B+W. I can also stack these (I've never done so) and add an polarizer to the grouping, something that I have done. This needs to be done with a great deal of caution as getting them off the lens and apart can be a bit tricky. I have filter wrenches for that job, if need be.

When I do the long exposures, I don't go for super long ones (measured in seconds, rather than minutes), as I still want the water to look like water, not something that comes out of a science fiction movie.

The one thing to be aware of is that even the best high density ND filters impart a bit of a colour cast that. The cheaper ones tend to have very heavy casts that is difficult if not impossible to totally correct for.

While the Lee system is a bit bulkier, it is easier to use than the screw in filters. All you have to do is set up your shot normally and then slide the filter into the filter holder. With screw in filters (assuming that you are composing with the viewfinder and not LiveView, then you have to compose your scene, lock down your tripod head and then screw in the filter and cover the viewfinder so that the ambient light entering it does not affect your exposure.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by photofriend View Post
    Trying to decide which way to go...I would like to purchase an ND filter for my 77mm 24-105 lens for long exposures, day photography. As a beginner I am wondering if it is best to purchase a screw on variable ND to start with or look at the Lee filter system ... does anyone have any advice on which ones to look at ??
    Welcome.

Questions

1. What other Lenses (if any) do you have?

2. What camera do you have?

3. What are the OUTCOMES that you want (i.e. describe the picture that you want), for example does "long exposures, day photography mean you want to leverage the shutter speed slow enough to remove people from a street scene? or make flowing water milky; or something else.

One main point being, "long exposures" is vague - it might mean 1 second, but it might also mean three minutes.

More details will reap more targeted opinions.

Thanks,

WW

Thanks Polar01, good info

Thanks GrumpyDiver, all makes sense and great info, I think I will look at the Lee system again....cheers

Thanks WW, looking mainly to take flowing water photos during the day, but also the easiest ND to carry in my pack
    cheers

Real Name
    Allan Short

I am going to suggest as you are just starting out to try this, get a 3-stop screw in filter or Lee 4" x 6" 3-stop hard GND filter. To slow water down usually 2 seconds or less will do the job just remember to lower your ISO to lowest setting, got to f/16 or more and you should easily get that time. I started out with screw in filters, the results that they gave me were great however as I became more experienced they did not allow me to get the kind of results I wanted so I went with the Lee system. As stated above you only need two seconds at most to slow water, if you had a Lee 4 x 6, 3-stop GND filter you should with practice get away with the camera on a tripod, cable release and hand holding the filter lightly against and in front of the lens. I do this often as I do not want to mount the holder. One of the nice things about the 4 x 6 GND filter is that you can place it where you want it to darken down the image, I would not want to hand hold (camera & filter) below 1/60 sec., but faster should be no problem provided you have good hand holding form to steady camera. Just some thoughts.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Lee 4 x 6, 3-stop GND filter
    Would you suggest the hard grad or the soft grad?

I have both and tend to use the hards in places where I have a relatively "hard" horizon, like a shot over a lake, but tend to use softs most frequently because horizons on land tend to be less well defined. I haven't used them in the way you suggest.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Manfred I also have a set of soft grads (1-3), I guess because I am down here along the lake I tend to use the hard grads more then the soft ones. Often if on the tripod and say doing a 2 sec or so exposure I will move the GND filter up and down to help soften the line somewhat. If it the rolling hill what we have here I may dodge the tops of them if to dark, however big large hills I will use the soft grads.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Thanks for answering one of my questions

looking mainly to take flowing water photos during the day. . .
    I agree with Allan that three stops ND is good to smooth running water with most DSLRs and with most lenses: I think that 4 Stops ND is a slightly more practical and flexible ND Filter for all general purposes of ND Filters, especially if one is only buying one ND and/or the ND Filter is the first ND Filter purchase: but there is not much in it.

but also the easiest ND to carry in my pack
    A screw on ND Filter will be easier to carry than any "system" Filter Holder and filter(s)

WW

Real Name
    Jenny

I've found it very useful to have a 2-8 stop screw in filter and the Lee filter system. The screw in takes up so little space in the bag. But I prefer the Lee system for graduated filters.