Thread: 70-200mm Sigma on Nikon D750

70-200mm Sigma on Nikon D750

Hay guys and girls,

A question regarding my Camera + Lens!!

I just purchased the Sigma 70-200mm Lens 2.8, did get it second hand... but in mint condition. Now when I attach it to my D750 which is fairly new, it comes up with a square in the view finder like its a cropped sensor Lens.... and when I take the picture the view is less then what in the view finder, as its the same as the square in the view finder (70% of the full view). The sigma 70-200mm is a full frame lens if I'm right in saying so why might it be doing this?? The Lens defiantly says "DG" on it which is sigma full frame range.

Wondered if it is the zoom (angles) or if there's a setting I need to change? Or this is normal?

Would be great if some one could give me some more info on it, have tried reading about it but cant find much!

Thanks fokes

James

Real Name
    Grahame

Re: 70-200mm Sigma on Nikon D750

Quote Originally Posted by JwPhotography View Post
    Hay guys and girls,

I just purchased the Sigma 70-200mm Lens 2.8, did get it second hand... but in mint condition. Now when I attach it to my D750 which is fairly new, it comes up with a square in the view finder like its a cropped sensor Lens.... and when I take the picture the view is less then what in the view finder, as its the same as the square in the view finder (70% of the full view). The sigma 70-200mm is a full frame lens if I'm right in saying so why might it be doing this?? The Lens defiantly says "DG" on it which is sigma full frame range.

Wondered if it is the zoom (angles) or if there's a setting I need to change? Or this is normal?

Would be great if some one could give me some more info on it, have tried reading about it but cant find much!

Thanks fokes

James
    James, purely a guess but something you could check. On my D800 there's an option in the menu to 'automatically' switch the frame size to DX if a DX lens is registered as fitted. It could be that your camera is sensing this lens (because it's a Sigma) as a DX when it's not.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

James - there is one well known problem that can effect all third party lenses; lack of forward compatibility.

That's a nice way of saying that the lens will work with cameras models that are the same age and older, but there is no guarantee that they will function on camera models that were released AFTER the lens. I suspect you may be a victim of this problem and so far as I know, there is no "fix".

That is one huge advantage that the OEM lenses have - the camera manufacturer maintains backwards compatibility (not always 100%) when newer camera models are released.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    James, purely a guess but something you could check. On my D800 there's an option in the menu to 'automatically' switch the frame size to DX if a DX lens is registered as fitted. It could be that your camera is sensing this lens (because it's a Sigma) as a DX when it's not.
    This is certainly worth checking. On my D610 it can be accessed from the Shooting Menu, Image Area. You have two things to check here

Auto DX crop : On or Off try choosing Off
    Choose Image Area : Select FX

Dave

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Interesting...last October when I was looking at a friend's camera, a D5100, I connected one of my Sigma DG lens to her camera and I saw that square in the view finder too. I took it off and connected her DX lens on it and left it at that...

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by JwPhotography View Post
    Hay guys and girls,

Thanks fokes

James
    Not that it makes a difference but DG doesn't mean it is a full frame lens it simply means it was designed to work with a digital camera. On a DG lens the coatings on the rear element have been designed to minimise reflections from the sensor.

As people above have suggested above I would say your camera is set to DX (crop mode) and a quick run through the menu will sort your issue.

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Interesting...last October when I was looking at a friend's camera, a D5100, I connected one of my Sigma DG lens to her camera and I saw that square in the view finder too. I took it off and connected her DX lens on it and left it at that...
    Thats odd because the D5100 doesn't have a crop mode nor does it have a viewfinder grid display.

It is a DX camera so there's no FX/DX available - it doesn't have the high speed crop that some of the the higher bodies have and it even lacks the grid overlay so couldn't display a crop even if you wanted it to. You can activate a grid on the rear LCD when using Live View but even that lacks a crop option.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Robin just finished looking up something on the Sigma Canada site, when searching for full frame lenses it states "Full Frame Lenses (DG) and when searching for lenses for cropped sensors "APS-C Dedicated Lenses (DC)", and that "EX" stands for Professional Lenses.
    Could not see anything about, "but DG doesn't mean it is a full frame lens it simply means it was designed to work with a digital camera. On a DG lens the coatings on the rear element have been designed to minimise reflections from the sensor.", on the web site at this time.
    I own 2 sigma lenses one a 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM which is designed to be used on a cropped sensor and a 150mm f2.8 APC Marco EX DG HSM designed for use on a full frame camera however I can use either or on my Nikon D600.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    Not that it makes a difference but DG doesn't mean it is a full frame lens it simply means it was designed to work with a digital camera.
    Sorry, Robin, but 'DG' does mean "full-frame" (135 format) lens and has nothing to do with coatings or anything else.

See here and look under the heading 'BY FORMAT' in the left-hand side bar:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Sorry, Robin, but 'DG' does mean "full-frame" (135 format) lens and has nothing to do with coatings or anything else.

See here and look under the heading 'BY FORMAT' in the left-hand side bar:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses
    Direct from various parts of Sigma's website:

Some Sigma lenses are designated "DG". What does this mean?

The DG designation applied to most newer Sigma lenses indicates that the lens is especially suited for use with digital SLR cameras. The DG lenses feature improved (more even) light distribution from image center to edge, and incorporate the latest multi-layer lens coatings to avoid reflections of the sensors of digital cameras. This is important in digital photography, but is also useful in 35mm photography, especially when slide film is used.

What is DG?

These are large-aperture lenses with wide angles and short minimum focusing distances. With an abundance of peripheral illumination, they are ideal lenses for Digital SLR Cameras.

Looks like they can't agree on what the designation means or at least the way they list lenses. From my days in photo retail I recall Sigma updating many lenses as digital SLR's became more mainstream and incorporating the DG on them as an indication that is was "Designed For Digital."

Real Name
    Ted

Direct from various parts of Sigma's website:

Some Sigma lenses are designated "DG". What does this mean?

The DG designation applied to most newer Sigma lenses indicates that the lens is especially suited for use with digital SLR cameras. The DG lenses feature improved (more even) light distribution from image center to edge, and incorporate the latest multi-layer lens coatings to avoid reflections of the sensors of digital cameras. This is important in digital photography, but is also useful in 35mm photography, especially when slide film is used.

What is DG?

These are large-aperture lenses with wide angles and short minimum focusing distances. With an abundance of peripheral illumination, they are ideal lenses for Digital SLR Cameras.

Looks like they can't agree on what the designation means or at least the way they list lenses. From my days in photo retail I recall Sigma updating many lenses as digital SLR's became more mainstream and incorporating the DG on them as an indication that is was "Designed For Digital."
    As you wish, Robin.

I've been using only Sigma lens for many years. All of my DC models have been APS-C, without exception. All of my DG models have been 135 format, without exception.

D = designed for digital
    G = full frame

70-200mm Sigma on Nikon D750

If anyone can find a Sigma "DG" designated lens that does not have 43mm+ image circle, I'll send them twenty bucks ;-)

Real Name
    Robin

I don't think you will find one as Sigma started putting DG on their lenses long before they started making lenses specifically for crop bodies and created the DC designation. Yes I will concede that makes them all by default Full Frame but that wasn't the initial meaning and it is something that has changed recently - I sold them when DG simply meant it was a newer design that had different rear coasting - at the time you could get lenses that had been around from 35mm days (full frame in effect) that didn't have the updated coatings.

To add to that it does seem that Sigma now exclusively use the DG designation for its FF range so my info is out of date but it is (or was) accurate at one point. The problem with getting older is things change and you can't always keep up.

Real Name
    Ted

I don't think you will find one as Sigma started putting DG on their lenses long before they started making lenses specifically for crop bodies and created the DC designation. Yes I will concede that makes them all by default Full Frame but that wasn't the initial meaning and it is something that has changed recently
    Here's the Wiki description.

• DG — "Digital Grade", coatings optimized for DSLRs, full-frame as well as APS-C, also usable on 35mm film SLRs

• DC — "Digital Compact", lenses for DSLRs featuring APS-C size sensors, only

So, "G" stood originally for "Grade" (not "full-frame" as implied by my claim ) and they just happened to start with full frame, presumably because they were already making 135 format lenses.

In other words . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I agree

Classic Sigma. Their last SLR was the SA-9, complete with hyphen. Their first DSLR was the SD9 sans hyphen but complete with a smallish 1.7 crop sensor. Somewhat OT, but the DSLR kept the SA-9's penta-prism with slight outer frosting to separate what used to be the full frame view. It was proudly called the "Sports Finder" in all it's dimness and only lasted one more model, thank goodness.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 1st December 2015 at 09:54 PM.

Real Name
    Ted

I don't think you will find one as Sigma started putting DG on their lenses long before they started making lenses specifically for crop bodies and created the DC designation. Yes I will concede that makes them all by default Full Frame but that wasn't the initial meaning and it is something that has changed recently - I sold them when DG simply meant it was a newer design that had different rear coasting - at the time you could get lenses that had been around from 35mm days (full frame in effect) that didn't have the updated coatings.
    Looks like you're right. I'll be quick, 'cause my computer has taken to crashing my Browser every 15 mins or so. Oh, my crashed post has suddenly appeared above

Wiki says the original designation meant "Digital Grade" - not full-frame as I had implied. And DC meant "Digital Compact" FWIW.

I live and learn . . .

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Looks like you're right. I'll be quick, 'cause my computer has taken to crashing my Browser every 15 mins or so. Oh, my crashed post has suddenly appeared above

Wiki says the original designation meant "Digital Grade" - not full-frame as I had implied. And DC meant "Digital Compact" FWIW.

I live and learn . . .
    And from Sigma.
    http://www.sigmaphoto.com/service-support/faqs

George

Hay everyone, thank you so much, I went through the menu as people suggested and found the settings that I needed to change. All good now and looking forward to getting out there with it and grabbing some nice shots!!