Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lunch......

Real Name
    Griddi

Lunch......

Not so sure if this is the right place for this image ?

Smoked Salmon on Pumpernickel Bread

Lunch......

( BTW I have not taken many photos lately, no ideas etc.... )

Griddi......

Real Name
    Greg

Re: Lunch......

Well, it certainly looks appetising, Griddi. I know nothing about food photography, but I like the vibrant colours. It seems to me though, that there is too much white space in the immediate foreground. But I don't know whether I would crop it a little or tone it down.

Real Name
    Griddi

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    Well, it certainly looks appetising, Griddi. I know nothing about food photography, but I like the vibrant colours. It seems to me though, that there is too much white space in the immediate foreground. But I don't know whether I would crop it a little or tone it down.
    Hi Greg.....thank you for looking and comment......you are right about the white foreground, which is the plate, but I will try to crop a bit away.....will see how it looks then....on the other hand, after I made the sandwich, I just took the photo on a impulsive, as the motive was straight before my nose

Greetings,
    Griddi........

Real Name
    John

A good subject to work with if you are struggling for ideas, nice effort however the bread looks a bit dark and the lighting could be extended across the surface of the subject. Did you use just one flash?

Real Name
    Binnur

Very nice colors and an appetising image If you crop the image from the bottom , cropping also from the LHS a bit might work better.

Real Name
    Griddi

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    A good subject to work with if you are struggling for ideas, nice effort however the bread looks a bit dark and the lighting could be extended across the surface of the subject. Did you use just one flash?
    John....the bread is truly very dark, it is a German imported * Pumpernickel Bread * quite heavy in texture, and one slice is usually enough for lunch or so.......

I did not use any flash, but instead a Manfrotto mini ( ML 240 ) light.......

Griddi.......

Real Name
    Griddi

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Very nice colors and an appetising image If you crop the image from the bottom , cropping also from the LHS a bit might work better.
    Binnur....thank you for looking and kind comment, incl. suggestion.......always very welcome.....I will * work * a bit more on the image.......

Griddi.......

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Yummmm...Griddi. I love salmon but not on bread.

Real Name
    Richard

Mouthwatering Griddi Salmon is my favourite fish - there are so many ways to serve it and all of them tasty.

Dicky.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Before you crop Griddi I suggest you duplicate the image and tone down the upper layer and then erase it across the top and salmon. This will give you a less-white foreground while keeping the food and b/g as is
    Looks appertising though I do not go for Salmon.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Before

Real Name
    Griddi

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Yummmm...Griddi. I love salmon but not on bread.
    Hi Izzie.......have you ever tried it on bread ? I mean it was smoked salmon....... I am also open for new recipes, so please tell me how you serve it ........

Griddi......

Real Name
    Griddi

Quote Originally Posted by DickyOZ View Post
    Mouthwatering Griddi Salmon is my favourite fish - there are so many ways to serve it and all of them tasty.

Dicky.
    Hi Dicky......I love SMOKED Salmon, but not so much steamed / baked etc. salmon........

Griddi........

Real Name
    Griddi

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    Before you crop Griddi I suggest you duplicate the image and tone down the upper layer and then erase it across the top and salmon. This will give you a less-white foreground while keeping the food and b/g as is
    Looks appertising though I do not go for Salmon.
    John....thank you for suggestion, I always copy any image before I try to change anything .......I like salmon, but only the smoked kind.......

Griddi.......

Real Name
    Richard

I think that I might have used a reflector to pump in a little light onto the bread. I played with brightness and saturation as well as cropping and this is what I ended up with...

Lunch......

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by just me View Post
    Hi Izzie.......have you ever tried it on bread ? I mean it was smoked salmon....... I am also open for new recipes, so please tell me how you serve it ........
    Griddi......
    I used smoked salmon on a recipe called Yee Sang. It is a Chinese Happy New Year Salad tossed in the air at the start of a celebration before the main meal is consumed. Google it. I spaghetti-ed my vegetables as I have the tool for it, so mine is more beautiful...I like doing mine from scratch so I know what's in it...I like doing everything food from scratch because I love cooking...last night we have Japanese and my husband likes it. Look for chawanmushi..it only takes 20 minutes to make. I can talk recipes and methods all day so don't you start on me now...

Real Name
    Richard

I have some great yellowfin tuna (ahi) steaks in my freezer.

This had been an El Nino year and the Pacific Ocean is far warmer than normal which means that the yellowfin bite is exceptionally long.

I have the fish commercially cleaned and flash frozen into one pound packets. I defrost one to three packets at a time, cut the loins into small steaks and marinate them in terriyake sauce for a day or so.

Then I heat a heavy pan with olive oil and oriental black bean sauce with garlic until the mixture is exceptionally hot. I then sear the steaks on both sides leaving the center quite rare.

That is a mouth watering main course...

Real Name
    Binnur

I really like this

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I think that I might have used a reflector to pump in a little light onto the bread. I played with brightness and saturation as well as cropping and this is what I ended up with...

Lunch......

Real Name
    Griddi

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post

Lunch......
    Sorry....for reply a bit late, I was very busy and did not switch the computer on..........

Yes, I agree, the bread etc. looks much better....thank you so much for your help Richard.......

Griddi.......
    Last edited by just me; 12th December 2015 at 04:30 AM.

Real Name
    Griddi

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    I used smoked salmon on a recipe called Yee Sang. It is a Chinese Happy New Year Salad tossed in the air at the start of a celebration before the main meal is consumed. Google it. I spaghetti-ed my vegetables as I have the tool for it, so mine is more beautiful...I like doing mine from scratch so I know what's in it...I like doing everything food from scratch because I love cooking...last night we have Japanese and my husband likes it. Look for chawanmushi..it only takes 20 minutes to make. I can talk recipes and methods all day so don't you start on me now...
    Hi Izzie........do you mean the Happy Salad is tossing up into the air ......and then sort of * Raining down* on the party guest
    I mostly doing my cooking from scratch too, because like you I like to know what's in it, but with smoked salmon, do yu smoke the salmon yourself too ?

I like Japanese meals too, in fact I like Asian dishes very much, I have even a large wok myself.......

Izzie......I am a bit sorry I reply just now, but with Christmas coming up, I am a bit snowed under time wise, although I would like some snow anyway......wishful thinking with 40C+ heat here ........although not every day, but.......

Griddi.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast