Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Hello There

Real Name
    Robin

Why Hello There

Having owned a Nikon in one shape or another for over 30 years and combined it with countless other systems I part exchanged the whole lot this week and went mirrorless. Technically I have owned mirrorless before in the form of a Contax G1 outfit but this is the first digital version.

Decided on a Fujifilm X-T1 with a combination of their (well respected) standard zooms and a few primes. Added a spare battery plus one of the latest UHS-II high speed cards as the camera is compatible and it transforms the read/write times - weird things with a second row of contacts. There is a £300 cash-back deal running through Fuji UK so when that lands I'll add a couple of remote flashguns to replace the pair of SB600 Speedlights I've sold.

Why Hello There

Why Hello There

Typically the weather is vile and I mean vile - rain - wind - cold - dull - so all I have managed is a few snaps in the conservatory before the light failed entirely. I get the feeling I'm going to have a full blown love affair with the 35mm f1.4 after seeing just the first handful of shots from it.

These are in camera jpeg's shot wide open in aperture priority with all settings at default.

Why Hello There

Why Hello There

Why Hello There

Real Name
    John

Re: Why Hello There

Nice captures.

Real Name
    Dan

Well that is definitely taking the plunge. Hope it all works out for you. I've been traveling for two weeks with nothing but a Sony a6000, two kit lenses, and a tiny(less than one kg) Sirui tripod. I'm not missing the weight of all the Nikon gear.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Considering our brief conversation on another thread where you mentioned a step to mirror-less:

I scrolled down this thread and I didn't read any text I just saw the pictures of all the boxes and the first thought to myself was, "I reckon I'd like a play with that 35/1.4".

Then I read this, "I get the feeling I'm going to have a full blown love affair with the 35mm f1.4 after seeing just the first handful of shots from it."

It seems that it is a very nice piece of glass.

The 12/2 should be interesting.

Have fun.

WW

Real Name
    Robin

The Samyang 12mm f2 is a bit of a gamble Bill but yes you would love the 35mm. The Samyang gets good reviews and I've trawled Flickr groups looking at the results so decided to give it a go. Its a stop down design but on a mirrorless its irrelevant as it shows you the exposure live and meters in aperture priority at the selected aperture. It's replacing a Sigma 10-20mm f4/5.6 which I got when it very first launched but have fallen out of using and only really used at its wide end - the idea is to kickstart my super-wide shooting again.

Real Name
    Ted

It certainly takes cojones grandes to make that kind of jump, congratulations!

On the Sigma 10-20mm I was looking at those but then came across a Sigma 8-16mm on eBay and snapped it up right away. Gets good Brownie points here:

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showprodu...ct/1330/cat/31

Real Name
    John

All I can say as a long time Fuji XT-1 user (have I mentioned that before?) is you will not be sorry. Enjoy. BTW the Samyang WA lenses are a revelation. I have the 10mm and it is superb.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    The Samyang 12mm f2 is a bit of a gamble Bill but yes you would love the 35mm. The Samyang gets good reviews and I've trawled Flickr groups looking at the results so decided to give it a go. Its a stop down design but on a mirrorless its irrelevant as it shows you the exposure live and meters in aperture priority at the selected aperture. It's replacing a Sigma 10-20mm f4/5.6 which I got when it very first launched but have fallen out of using and only really used at its wide end - the idea is to kickstart my super-wide shooting again.
    I think it makes very good sense to have a very wide angle prime lens. I have an old 15-30mm sigma I use on a FX body and 95% of the time it is set at 15mm. A prime would save a bit of weight and should be a fraction sharper with less flare.

If you are stuck in doors due to weather why not show us what the 60/2.4 macro can do? You must be able to find the odd spider or moth in a corner of the house.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Oh Robin what have you done!!!
    I'll refrain from calling you a turncoat and wish you well with your new system, as one who daren't let go of a considerable investment in Nikon over the past few years, all four DSLRs and enumerable lenses that still get a regular outing. My wife would kill me if she knew how much that lot cost.
    Having said that I've just gone back to basics and added a simple rangefinder system to my armoury.
    I'm looking forward to seeing you future images.

Real Name
    Dean

Robin,
    Welcome to Fuji. You will be pleased with the Fuji 35/1.4. I've used Fuji for the past three years and have found the camera and lenses to be great. Since I use the X Pro 1 for the opitical viewfinder, I use only the 18mm, 35mm, and 60mm.

Real Name
    Robin

It has never stopped rain since my camera was delivered - I have been out with the dog and taken it with me but struggled to get anything worthwhile.

Best I've managed so far...

Why Hello There

Why Hello There

Why Hello There

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Robin,

Can you satisfy my curiosity please; what type of dog is that? (looks nice)

Unfortunately, I'm not sure your weather (or mine, down here), is due to improve much over the next few days - we seem to have a period of blustery storms still to come

That looks to be a nicely specced camera - weather sealed too, handy that

Thanks, Dave

Real Name
    Kathy

It has never stopped rain since my camera was delivered - I have been out with the dog and taken it with me but struggled to get anything worthwhile...
    Consider finding some holiday light-decorated buildings, and/or shooting at night or the blue hour. That's one sweet spot I've found with the Fuji X-Trans sensor.

Congrats on the new gear! Very envious. But as an X100 groupie and hybrid viewfinder addict, I keep waiting to see what the Pro2 will offer....

Real Name
    John

It has never stopped rain since my camera was delivered - I have been out with the dog and taken it with me but struggled to get anything worthwhile.

Best I've managed so far...

Why Hello There

Why Hello There

Why Hello There
    Nice initial captures.

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Robin,

Can you satisfy my curiosity please; what type of dog is that? (looks nice)

Unfortunately, I'm not sure your weather (or mine, down here), is due to improve much over the next few days - we seem to have a period of blustery storms still to come

That looks to be a nicely specced camera - weather sealed too, handy that

Thanks, Dave
    He's a mutt. Got him from a local rescue centre when at about 7 months old he was tied to some railings and abandoned. He is the nicest natured dog we have ever owned and brilliant with the kids too. As far as we can work out he his part Collie/Springer and part Staff. The colouring is Staff as is some of his face shape while the rest is Collie/Springer, not sure which.

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    Consider finding some holiday light-decorated buildings, and/or shooting at night or the blue hour. That's one sweet spot I've found with the Fuji X-Trans sensor.

Congrats on the new gear! Very envious. But as an X100 groupie and hybrid viewfinder addict, I keep waiting to see what the Pro2 will offer....

Christmas lights are starting to appear so I will get out but its been raining at night too so haven't even been able to try some lowlight stuff - one of the reasons I get a newer sensor.

It is driving me nuts

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Christmas lights are starting to appear so I will get out but its been raining at night too
    But that is a good thing (or so I'm told) - it doubles your return (with all the reflections).

Thanks for reply on your dog, btw.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

. . . It is driving me nuts . . .
    I drove there a long time ago.
    Now I have an holiday house there: I visit often, sometimes I stay for weeks at a time.
    Call in anytime.
    We can have a chat about ‘obsessive behaviour post purchase new toys syndrome’.

hahahaha

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    I drove there a long time ago.
    Now I have an holiday house there: I visit often, sometimes I stay for weeks at a time.
    Call in anytime.
    We can have a chat about ‘obsessive behaviour post purchase new toys syndrome’.

hahahaha
    Bill if you drove there I assume it must be in Sraylya - no wonder I am compelled to visit the place so often...up until now I thought the grandchildren were the main attraction.

Real Name
    Kathy

Christmas lights are starting to appear so I will get out but its been raining at night too so haven't even been able to try some lowlight stuff - one of the reasons I get a newer sensor.

It is driving me nuts
    Ziploc baggies and UV filters. Of course, I don't live in climes where horizontal rain happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast