Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My studies are getting up and running.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

My studies are getting up and running.

In this thread, I asked for views about engaging in online/distance learning and colleagues contributed to an excellent discussion. Well, I've gone ahead as stated in my last post in that thread and have signed up for the first module in the BA (Hons) in Photography course with the Open College of the Arts (www.oca.ac.uk).

The last 48 hours have been about getting the administrative and organisation things into place, as opposed to doing any study. For example, I have set up my first ever blog. Not that easy to do (or is it just me?). Spent most of today getting the menu and category structures for the blog the way I think will work for me. The blog will serve as my learning log for the course and will contain posts about my study and research, reflection and comments, as well as containing copies of my assignment submissions.

Anyone who wants to is very welcome to follow my blog if they wish, though I suspect it might not be as exciting and attention-grabbing as some other blogs that are out there. The other thing is that, as of yet, I don't know how you go about following someone's blog. Most of you probably know far more about that than me. But I'll get there eventually. You presumably push a button on it somewhere.

If you do follow it and then get bored, you can always just opt out. The address is - https://dmackimagesdotorg.wordpress.com/.

At the time of writing, there is only one post in there. But they'll start coming thick and fast very soon.

I hope this course proves to be as good as I hope and expect because I am quite excited about doing this.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: My studies are getting up and running.

Once you've made up your mind, you certainly "go for it". I expect this program will keep you busy for a while.

Do you receive any credits for previous academic work or do you have to start from scratch?

Real Name
    John

Glad to see you are moving forward with your pursuits. Looking forward to seeing your blog progress.

Real Name
    Sharon

Good stuff.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Donald,

Is the program self paced, rather than tied to the academic year?
    Or are you going to be extra busy because you're starting a little late in the term?

Good luck and enjoy, Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Do you receive any credits for previous academic work or do you have to start from scratch?
    Unfortunately, it seems not. I have studied up Masters level before, but that was all out leadership in the public sector, particularly social services.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Is the program self paced, rather than tied to the academic year?
    Or are you going to be extra busy because you're starting a little late in the term?
    It is self-paced, Dave, so I'm not doing any 'catch-up'. The suggestion is to think about 8-10 hours of work per week, but because I'm retired and am cutting back on other commitments, I want to be able to give it considerably more than that. The whole degree can be stretched over 12 years, but there's no way I will work to that sort of timescale. I'm thinking 4-5 years.
    Last edited by Donald; 25th November 2015 at 09:34 PM.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

I trust you cracked open a suitable bottle at launch. Bon chance!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I have set up my first ever blog. Not that easy to do (or is it just me?). Spent most of today getting the menu and category structures for the blog the way I think will work for me.
    I had the exact same experience years ago. Parts of setting up the blog were so counter-intuitive and/or lacking documentation that the frustration still remains very vivid in my mind.

Your blog looks good to me. Now that you've got it set up, the rest is easy sailing!

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

It is a very interesting blog so far, Donald. I had saved a link to it so I can follow your thoughts about this course you decided to embark yourself in...Good luck.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The last 48 hours have been about getting the administrative and organisation things into place, as opposed to doing any study. For example, I have set up my first ever blog. Not that easy to do (or is it just me?). Spent most of today getting the menu and category structures for the blog the way I think will work for me. The blog will serve as my learning log for the course and will contain posts about my study and research, reflection and comments, as well as containing copies of my assignment submissions.

Anyone who wants to is very welcome to follow my blog if they wish, though I suspect it might not be as exciting and attention-grabbing as some other blogs that are out there. The other thing is that, as of yet, I don't know how you go about following someone's blog. Most of you probably know far more about that than me. But I'll get there eventually. You presumably push a button on it somewhere.

If you do follow it and then get bored, you can always just opt out. The address is - https://dmackimagesdotorg.wordpress.com/.
    It looks like you are getting right into it. I've done a couple of blogs using Wordpress, including one of our two months in South Asia last year. https://geomantravel.wordpress.com/ Once you get used to it and you have it set up the way you like it, keeping it up is pretty easy.

When I did the Photographic Portfolio course back in the early summer, I used a different platform Wix. Its homepage is http://www.wix.com

My Portfolio Development website is athttp://manfredm2.wix.com/portfoliodevelopment I haven't bothered to take it down yet, but I find Wix is better suited for doing images.

Real Name
    randy

Donald- I am now officially a blog follower of yours

Real Name
    Gerry

Good luck Donald, I have now ''officially'' signed up to follow a blog for the first time, I look forward to your updates.

Real Name
    Dean

Donald,
    Your blog is interesting and I plan to follow it. Congratulations for getting back into academia.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Donald I may have missed this but which module are you actually starting with? It seems very different from my failed attempt at "Photography1: The Art of Photography"

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Clactonian View Post
    Donald I may have missed this but which module are you actually starting with? It seems very different from my failed attempt at "Photography1: The Art of Photography"
    Mike - Starting with "Photography 1: Expressing your Vision". That was the generally recommended start point.

Real Name
    Bill

Donald

I missed the first thread but have caught up with it now. Good for you in the every day sense of "Well done", but also in the sense of keeping the mind and self healthy and well. Some comments from the perspective of someone who has taught online classes at Bachelor and Master level since 1996 and more recently in the new fashionable MOOC form. Properly done online classes have much to offer in accessibility, pacing, and effective use of multimedia to explain more difficult concepts - all the usual suspects in discussions of where they lie in the world of pedagogy. However, they have one potential advantage over "chalk and talk" that is as far from the "lonely student" as you can get: they facilitate the creation of an effective learning community. Realising the potential is another matter but I suspect that it will succeed in your course because of its nature, but as you will know from your Quality background, there is nothing that humans can't make fail - or work, and that certainly applies to the commitment of your tutors.

I look forward to following your blog, but was a bit disappointed that the course admin did not have this all up an running ...

All the best!

Bill
    Last edited by billtils; 28th November 2015 at 12:31 AM.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Mike - Starting with "Photography 1: Expressing your Vision". That was the generally recommended start point.
    Ah, that has changed. I was recommended to start with "The Art of Photography" which I think was my downfall, apart from domestic issues. I'll have a look at your course content for a comparison, but even the title sounds more encouraging.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Quote Originally Posted by rtbaum View Post
    Donald- I am now officially a blog follower of yours
    Me too, which meant I had to learn how 'to follow' too.

I'm interested to see how you develop the blog and the photography. I have really only used mine this year as a library and a way of my elderly parents keeping in touch of where I got too....but I do want to stretch it further. I think you're very brave going back to school - I love learning but having given up taking exams in my late 20's I still can't face any thought of the fear/pressure of doing it again - maybe it's something I need to confront.

Well done you in all respects.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you all for your comments above. It is enormously encouraging to know that there are peers who don't think you're entirely mad and indeed are willing to stand behind and give a little push in terms of the support offered. It also provides a huge incentive. I've got to produce the goods now that all you folk know about it!

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    However, they have one potential advantage over "chalk and talk" that is as far from the "lonely student" as you can get: they facilitate the creation of an effective learning community. Realising the potential is another matter ...
    Your point is so important and, fortunately, I think the potential is already being realised, Bill. The Scottish based BA Photography students have a Facebook group up and running and, in addition, meet face-to-face a number of times per year. The next meeting is next Saturday (5th December) at the Street Level Photoworks space in Glasgow. I intend to be there.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

I've just been browsing the OCA site Donald. I cannot believe the difference in a couple of years.
    The course I embarked upon in comparison to the current one was in my eyes more akin to a City & Guilds course. Exercises in focal length, depth of focus, cropping and so on. Small wonder I could not find any motivation, not that I am particularly skilled.
    It looks as if they have totally revised the website too. I had several discussions with tutors and the webmaster regarding the site at the time and they all agreed it was abysmal and way too slow. Hopefully all is now resolved.
    I shall follow your progress with interest and envy, as I cannot afford to send them another year's pension!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast