Thread: What a deal!!

Real Name
    Brian

What a deal!!

I just received my newest P&S camera. I found a Canon G9 on a police property auction site and got it for $50! Has no scratches, dings, scuffs or any other cosmetic damage. Works fine with the few test shots I've done with it. Only problem is that it came with a battery and nothing else. I just ordered a charger for it. My plan was to get something like this for an all around carry camera. I have a friend that had one of these and they take amazing photos for what they are. The main feature is that it shoots in RAW. Here is just a rough "out the window" test shot.

What a deal!!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: What a deal!!

Well done, Brian. That is indeed a brilliant deal.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Very nice Brian...I like the colours.

Real Name
    John

Nice.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Following on from Brian's information and possibly of interest to UK members, I see that an auction of Police Scotland Lost & Found property is to take place on November 28th. The website information has details of how you can register for online bidding.

It does say there is camera equipment and there's an e-mail link via which you can get more details. See - http://www.wilsonsauctions.com/liqui...ch-results/689.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by BrianA61 View Post
    ... The main feature is that it shoots in RAW....
    I don't use mine enough to justify keeping it, but I can't bring myself to sell it.

For me, the things I love about my G9 are not only that it shoots RAW, but that it also has an optical viewfinder, albeit with only 80% coverage (if you find yourself running low on battery, you can use the OVF to compose and turn off the LCD altogether, and you can take a lot more shots), and a flash hotshoe, so you can go Strobist with it (and it has a leaf shutter so it syncs like my X100T up to 1/1000s).

My fave accessory for mine is a Lensmate 58mm accessory tube (not sure these are made any more, tho), so I can add 58mm filters or just have something to grip dSLR-style, rather than the fragile telescoping lens. Using one, however, does impinge on the OVF, and blocks the on-board flash.

Congrats on your deal!!

Real Name
    Richard

Congratulations on your new acquisition. I assume you know that the manual can be had free at:
    https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...B0AMD0F1Q42K25

Real Name
    Marc

Great Deal Brian, have fun with your G9! I've bought the G5 myself many years ago when it was new...together with the fast lens, and RAW recording, it was very nice to use besides my DSLR, which i've had bought into 2004. (Dynax 5D) Nowadays, i use my small NEX-5 or NEX-6 as have-it-around-myself camera, or when it must be smaller, the famous Samsung EX1.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Unlike Kathy while I respect the G series what put me off from the start was the old-fashioned viewfinder .... YUK I gave up on that sort perhaps three decades or more pre-digital .... they are from the Ark [along with DSLRs]

Real Name
    Yes

The viewfinder is poor, but better than nothing. With a little experience you can make a good estimate of what the coverage is, useful in the 1% of times when a strong sun means the LCD is unusable.

PS anyone know how to remove a dust spot from the sensor, my G10 seems to have developed one.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    Unlike Kathy while I respect the G series what put me off from the start was the old-fashioned viewfinder .... YUK I gave up on that sort perhaps three decades or more pre-digital .... they are from the Ark [along with DSLRs]
    Snort. To me, the Fuji hybrid VF makes all simple EVFs feel so.... [shudder] video. The one thing I don't like as much as I'd hoped I would is the EVF on my GX-7. Even the G3's was better for me. The X100T's ability to switch between OVF and EVF makes me sooooo happy. Can't wait to see what an X-Pro2 is gonna sport HVF-wise.

loosecannon: Dunno if it'll help, but I found a DIY video for a G9 sensor clean: http://www.viddler.com/v/a2e44ada

Real Name
    J stands for John

I have never used or even seen a GX-7 but I read several derogatory comments about them. But ever since I got my first TTL viewfinding [ a Pathe Webo 16mm with a pelicule taking some of the light from the film] back in the early sixties I have considered optical viewfinders as less than adequate with the problems of parrallax etc .... of course they are usable but desirable ... not on your nellie