Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monitor?

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Monitor?

I tend to work in the ProPhoto colour space (16-bit) and stay with it when I print.
    Manfred,

Thanks. I do also. I do this with a monitor that is in sRGB space. What happens with software like PS and LR is that they map ProPhoto to sRGB for purposes of the display. (I have software that doesn't do this, and the difference in appearance is striking.) Internally, it is still using the broader gamut and 16-bit, with all of the advantages of that, but I don't actually see it rendered in anything but sRGB. So, when I export for the web, I know what my images will look like to viewers with calibrated monitors when I export.

The cost, of course, is that my soft-proofing for printing is hobbled by the sRGB display.

I've been thinking that it may be time to consider a wider-gamut monitor, so I checked the SW2700PT on Amazon. There are no reviews yet on B&H. To the extent that one can generalize from 12 reviews (particularly in the light of how noisy online user reviews are), here is what I took away:

-- the large majority of the small number were very pleased
    -- a few got monitors that were apparently defective. A few out of 12 is a bit unnerving.
    -- several users complained that the online resources and customer service are not good.

I am just repeating what they wrote; I have no idea whether it is reasonable.

I think I may wait a bit and let more reviews accumulate. James, I'll be interested in your experience.

Dan

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The problem with the online reviews at a site like B&W is you get people who either love it or had a problem with it. Here is a review in Ashley Karyl's latest e-book "Colour Management Pro". I had a Benq screen as my editing screen before I went to my current 27" Dell, and it died after about 10 years (I've had a number of different screens die, so nothing exceptional here).

Here is the excerpt from the book:

Monitor?

Monitor?

Real Name
    Simon.

Just to say I work at a large format printers with cmyk all day. It is a real pain at times because of its extremely limit gamut when client provides art work expecting X & we can only supply y.
    Here's a link showing how limited cmyk is, even worse than sRGB.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_space

Real Name
    Dave

This has turned into a very informative thread.

So I did buy the new monitor, although I would have liked to get the one Manfred posted above unfortunately it just wasn't within my budget at the moment.
    So I went with the Benq 27" 60Hz IPS LED (GW2765HT) for $500.00 Canadian. Color gamut is 100% sRGB, 2516 x 1440 resolution. I think as just a hobbiest it should do well for me. At least much better that my 15.4" laptop screen.

Dave

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    At least much better that my 15.4" laptop screen.
    You've set the bar very low with that statement...

Real Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    You've set the bar very low with that statement...
    That is true...LOL. Plus my 55 year old eyes aren't what they use to be. Hopefully this monitor works out well for me. I bought it from Best Buy so I have 30 days to decide if I like it.

Dave

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    That is true...LOL. Plus my 55 year old eyes aren't what they use to be. Hopefully this monitor works out well for me. I bought it from Best Buy so I have 30 days to decide if I like it.

Dave
    Dave I've been using a 24" Benq for the last 6 years and it has been very good. I still have no reason to replace it.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12