Thread: Photographic history

Real Name
    Greg

Photographic history

The owner of the house where I'm working came up to me and said "you like photography, this might interest you"
    To be honest I hadn't heard of the Luzo camera but what a bit of photographic history I held in my hands.
    This is one of the later models 1896 I reckon.
    Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to keep it.

http://www.earlyphotography.co.uk/site/entry_C270.html

Photographic history

Photographic history

Photographic history

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Photographic history

Wonderful.

Real Name
    Ole

Greg, thanks for the link. This is great.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    John

Nice.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I looked the camera up in Camera written by Todd Gustavson and published by Sterling Signature. The book explains the camera collection of the George Eastman House and provides drop-dead beautiful photos of them. If you're interested in the history of cameras, I highly recommend the book.

The book explains that the Luxo was designed to compete with the popular Kodak roll-film camera by offering improvements such as a reflex viewfinder and a different location of the film spools, which allowed for manufacturing a smaller camera.

An 1889 model is shown but doesn't mention the model name. This particular model used a roll of film that took 100 round pictures. Though the Kodak camera provided film processing by the manufacturer, Luxo didn't provide it. The external shutter of this model was powered by a rubber band. Tension was controlled by a brass slide but the book doesn't explain how many positions the slide could be placed in.

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I looked the camera up in Camera written by Todd Gustavson and published by Sterling Signature. The book explains the camera collection of the George Eastman House and provides drop-dead beautiful photos of them. If you're interested in the history of cameras, I highly recommend the book.

The book explains that the Luxo was designed to compete with the popular Kodak roll-film camera by offering improvements such as a reflex viewfinder and a different location of the film spools, which allowed for manufacturing a smaller camera.

An 1889 model is shown but doesn't mention the model name. This particular model used a roll of film that took 100 round pictures. Though the Kodak camera provided film processing by the manufacturer, Luxo didn't provide it. The external shutter of this model was powered by a rubber band. Tension was controlled by a brass slide but the book doesn't explain how many positions the slide could be placed in.

Thanks for the information about the book Mike. I will see if I can find a copy.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

What a shame he cannot part with it...