Thread: New brand of filters

Real Name
    Dan

New brand of filters

Anyone have any experience with Breakthrough Photography filters? They are a new brand, so the reviews are still limited, but the few reviews I have seen have been very good, and the features are excellent.

I found them only because I received a note about a Kickstarter campaign for their new CPL, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ular-polarizer. The X1, X2, and X3 in their filter names apparently refers to the number of layers of coatings.

I am not plugging them. Just curious before I decide whether to splurge on trying one.
    Last edited by DanK; 14th November 2015 at 02:18 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: New brand of filters

Had never heard of them, Dan, until I read your post.

Have had a look and, as you say, the reviews are very positive.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Not heard of them, or read any reviews, nor do I know the prices.

I did watch the 2:41 video on the web page linked.

If I have any concern, it would be the reflective consequences of the bright brass ring on the front,and the apparent brass colour visible 'inside' the barrel where it mounts to the lens - surely they will, if sun were shining on the end of the lens, cause veiling flare?

That said, I like the styling of the rotational bit with a different pitch of 'teeth' on the (non-rotating) body of the filter, plus also that it seems to be so easy to rotate.

Interesting, none-the-less.

Thanks for sharing, Dave

Real Name
    Dan

If I have any concern, it would be the reflective consequences of the bright brass ring on the front,and the apparent brass colour visible 'inside' the barrel where it mounts to the lens - surely they will, if sun were shining on the end of the lens, cause veiling flare?
    Hmm. I hadn't thought of that. From the pictures on their website, this doesn't appear to be an issue with the UV and ND filters they are already selling, but it is for the CPLs they sold in the past and are planning on selling soon. I've posted a question in a a chat with one of their designers. If I get useful information back, I'll post it.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

It sure is impressive that they had a goal of $30,000 and have raised $215,000.

Real Name
    Dan

If I have any concern, it would be the reflective consequences of the bright brass ring on the front,
    Apparently, that photo is just for illustration of the construction. I got this reply from them:

All our filters are electroplated matte black:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1413566

I think I will splurge and order one.

Real Name
    Richard

As Chinese products develop or at least expand, the numbers and names of filters are increasing at a rapid rate.

I wouldn't be very surprised if there aren't one or two Chinese companies producing filters that are branded and named differently.

I know that they do this with fishing reels. If you order a certain number of reels from a certain company you can have the reels labeled any way you desire.

I was given a variable density ND fiter labeled as 'NEWER FADER". I have not had the opportunity to test this yet. I have noticed tripod acessories such as heads labeled as "NEWER".

Real Name
    Dan

This firm uses Schott glass and coatings developed in the US. One of their press releases said that their manufacturing is in the US.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    This firm uses Schott glass and coatings developed in the US. One of their press releases said that their manufacturing is in the US.
    Yes, the one thing I was sure about in reading the reviews, was that this is a US product.

Real Name
    Dean

After looking at their page a few months ago, I wanted to get the X3 CPL but it was too pricey to get one from my part of the world so I got a Marumi EXUS CPL instead and IMO, it's the best CPL I have ever owned.

Cheers