Thread: Nikon D7200 or Pentax K3 II

Real Name
    Robin

Nikon D7200 or Pentax K3 II

Don't normally do this as, well quite frankly, I worked in a camera shop for twenty odd years so should be able to sort it myself and the responses tend to be a little (shall we say) random or more often very personal - but - I'm after opinions in general.

I have both Nikon and Pentax DX outfits and I'm after an upgraded body - Full Frame is out of the question due to cost so you can rule that out straight away.

Currently running a Nikon D300s which I love to bit, its an epic machine, its performance as a body is faultless but the sensor is vastly out dated and I increasingly get disappointed by the files from it. Not complaining really as I've had great use from it but it needs a refresh.

The other system is based round a Pentax K30 which at first glance is miles off the Nikon's performance but its weather proof, skips along at 6fps, has a 100% viewfinder (three musts) and is really neat for a DSLR so great to carry around day to day. The sensor is still a few year old (its a Sony 16MP variant) but it does well - thing is there's a fault developing which according to the net (don't roll your eyes) is a known one and ultimately fatal.

Lenses wise I've a couple more to fit the Nikon than the Pentax but don't use them all on a regular basis so don't miss them when I carry the K30.

The cameras I'm looking at are very close in basic output, pretty much the same sensor. The D7200 has the best AF, I do like the control layout and I do have more lenses for it. The K3 II has a far more versatile multiple exposure option, something I use quite a bit to blur water and it has in camera VR which is fantastic in general and with primes where you get large apertures and stabilisation its amazing. The Nikon has Wi-Fi which would be nice as I'm an Apple geek so could link to my iPhone/iPad I've a pair id Speedlights which I can control with it - but the multi exposure is rubbish (both my current bodies are far better) and the Live View is 3rd rate at best. The K3 II has GPS which when used with the in camera VR allows longer than normal exposures when shooting start to stop trails - pretty darn cool and you can shoot up to 2000 shots which it can then combine onboard - no Wi-Fi which is weird on any 2015 device and to fit the GPS in they've got rid of the built in flash so no easy wireless control.

I could go on and on and on and on so would appreciate a bit of input, musings, how abouts and general feedback.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Nikon D7200 or Pentax K3 II

When I got my D7200 I finally stopped pining away for the old D300. Awesome camera and best value out there IMO.

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    When I got my D7200 I finally stopped pining away for the old D300. Awesome camera and best value out there IMO.
    Its a great camera - especially with the 51 point AF system from the D300s series. Wish, wish, wish it had better multi exposure though :-(

I have a D7000 that is my 'when the picture counts, Nikon' camera. I really liked the specs of the 7200 when it came out. I liked the specs of the D750 even more though. I've lately been shooting a lot of my old glass on my Nex-7 body and find myself lusting for an A7ii for the IBIS. That being said, I read your original post and one thing keeps jumping out at me, and that is your desire to shoot multi-exposure shots.

I guess you have to ask yourself if that one thing is enough to warrant getting the K3.

In a perfect world, I'd have a D750 AND an A7ii, and that would be that.

Can you make do with the D7200's multi exposure 'quirks' such as they are?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    Pentax K30...its weather proof, skips along at 6fps, has a 100% viewfinder (three musts)
    If the D7200 is like the D7000, only the rear panel is weather-sealed. It shoots at 6fps and has a 100% viewfinder.

I have several questions, the answers to which I would hope will help.
    1. What kind of photography do you concentrate on, and is either body better at that?
    2. What kind of output do you intend: high quality print, general prints, digital output?
    In which case what seems to be the better body for that?
    3. Is there a significant difference in cost?
    4. Can you use adaptors to cross match the lenses you have with either body?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I'm not sure if I would even look at a camera with a "known fatal" sensor issue unless I had an iron-clad guarantee from the manufacturer that it would be fixed very quickly at no cost to me.

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    I have several questions, the answers to which I would hope will help.
    1. What kind of photography do you concentrate on, and is either body better at that?
    2. What kind of output do you intend: high quality print, general prints, digital output?
    In which case what seems to be the better body for that?
    3. Is there a significant difference in cost?
    4. Can you use adaptors to cross match the lenses you have with either body?
    1. I'm a general shooter - I'll try my hand at anything - but quite a bit of coastal landscapes as I live near some great beaches and walk the dog there regularly.
    2. Mostly digital output - both bodies have the same sensor with very similar pipelines.
    3. Near as makes no difference the same price.
    4. Possibly but they'd be a nuisance and I hate stuff that doesn't work as intended.

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    I'm not sure if I would even look at a camera with a "known fatal" sensor issue unless I had an iron-clad guarantee from the manufacturer that it would be fixed very quickly at no cost to me.
    Sorry manfred I could have worded/punctuated that better.

The K30 has started randomly producing severely under exposed shots - there is a fault with the aperture control unit where it fully stops the aperture down regardless of what is set or indicated. Folks over on the Pentax forum are seeing this with both the K30 and K50 bodies.

I'm not aware of any issues with either the D7200 or K3 II - both are still fairly new so you just have to have faith.

I forgot to mention that the D7200 can be fitted with a GPS device.

Real Name
    John

I always say, look at the reviews before you purchase not afterward, sometimes you'll find a comment that'll make the difference between one brand over another; just be able to weed out the superficial comments from legitimate complaints and praises.

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I always say, look at the reviews before you purchase not afterward, sometimes you'll find a comment that'll make the difference between one brand over another; just be able to weed out the superficial comments from legitimate complaints and praises.
    ... and that's the problem with reviews! Trolls, fanboys, and from the news we've seen re Amazon reviews recently, even dealers can and do distort their objectivity. I'd weight a comment posted in CIC well above any review.

But, if we paraphrase John's comment to "do your research before you purchase" - completely agree.

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I forgot to mention that the D7200 can be fitted with a GPS device.
    It can but lacks in camera VR so it can't be used for astro photography like the K3 II

Thanks for the comments though, I'm still debating and deciding.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Sorry manfred I could have worded/punctuated that better.

The K30 has started randomly producing severely under exposed shots - there is a fault with the aperture control unit where it fully stops the aperture down regardless of what is set or indicated. Folks over on the Pentax forum are seeing this with both the K30 and K50 bodies.

I'm not aware of any issues with either the D7200 or K3 II - both are still fairly new so you just have to have faith.
    Thanks for clarifying. The way you described it I thought of the corrosion issues Leica was having with the cover glass over some of their sensors.

It can but lacks in camera VR so it can't be used for astro photography like the K3 II
    Is the issue about VR that your Nikon-compatible lenses don't have it? If they have it, it doesn't matter that it's not built into the camera.

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Is the issue about VR that your Nikon-compatible lenses don't have it? If they have it, it doesn't matter that it's not built into the camera.
    My main two Nikon lenses have VR the rest don't, with the in camera systems it doesn't matter as you get the benefit regardless of what less you put on. I can/do use my Pentax 50mm in very low light and can keep the ISO just that little bit lower as I've got 2-3 stops worth of VR.

As to the astro photography its a trick that Pentax have - the camera moves the sensor hard up against its stops, starts the exposure and moves the sensor to track the stars as they move. It means you can shoot longer exposures without the starts forming trails. Proper clever bit of thinking and while i won't use it often its there.

Proper clever bit of thinking and while i won't use it often its there.
    If it works as well as you describe, that really is clever!

Real Name
    Robin

Finally made a decision - the whole lot is going into WEX next week and I'm getting a Fuji X System.

I'll post a picture when I get it all sorted.

Ps. Don't ask, its hurting my head so you lot trying to understand the thought process could well cause you to feint

Real Name
    Charles

Congratulations Robin, Fuji bodies and glass are superb. You will love your choice, as I have mine.