Thread: Cruise advice?

Real Name
    randy

Cruise advice?

After my two trips to the Boundary Waters of Minnesota sans wife, it becomes time for payback. We will be embarking on Sunday for a 6 day Caribbean cruise.

I have deliberated for weeks as to what equipment to bring. I have "narrowed" it down to my Nikon D750 as the body. My lenses will be: Nikon 28mm 1.8, Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art, Nikon 70-200mm/4, Sigma 400mm/5.6. Other gear will be a carbon fiber monopod, assorted filters to include CP's and grads, all necessary chargers. I also bought an Olympus TG-4 for underwater. All to be fit into and onto a Lowepro ProTactic 350 AW backpack.

Have I forgotten anything....(can I convince the wife to carry it all )?

Any suggestions for sights to be seen in Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Tulum?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Cruise advice?

You sure pack more heavily than I do. The last three "big" trips were 1 body and two lenses. Polarizers came and the grads came along on one trip only. A had a tripod on two of the trips.

You also seem to be getting a better deal than I am, travel wise. My wife is sitting on a plane heading to India right now, while I am at home with a paint brush and paint roller....

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by rtbaum View Post
    After my two trips to the Boundary Waters of Minnesota sans wife, it becomes time for payback. We will be embarking on Sunday for a 6 day Caribbean cruise.

I have deliberated for weeks as to what equipment to bring. I have "narrowed" it down to my Nikon D750 as the body. My lenses will be: Nikon 28mm 1.8, Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art, Nikon 70-200mm/4, Sigma 400mm/5.6. Other gear will be a carbon fiber monopod, assorted filters to include CP's and grads, all necessary chargers. I also bought an Olympus TG-4 for underwater. All to be fit into and onto a Lowepro ProTactic 350 AW backpack.

Have I forgotten anything....(can I convince the wife to carry it all )?

Any suggestions for sights to be seen in Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Tulum?
    No laptop for transferring images or are you uploading with wifi or carrying extra memory?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Unlike most people, I don't travel light when it comes to photography equipment. Travel is important to me, so I want to be well equipped with my best equipment when I travel.

Your equipment is very similar to what I travel with except that I don't have any underwater equipment. I take all my lenses (there are only five of them), a backup camera and my tripod every time I travel. When I hike, I take all my lenses except the heaviest one though I don't take the tripod unless it's a short hike and I plan to use it. I leave the backup camera in the room, so I risk not having a working camera at most during one day of the trip.

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    My wife is sitting on a plane heading to India right now, while I am at home with a paint brush and paint roller....
    Did anyone else notice Manfred is screwing off on the computer while he is supposed to be painting?

I say we tell his wife when she gets home!

Real Name
    Richard

I have "limited" my basic travel gear (for trips on which I intend to photograph) to a pair of 7D cameras and 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and a 70-200mm f/4L IS lenses. My back-up lens will either be a 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS or a 12-24mm F/4 Tokina.

If I plan on photographing on the long side of things (say wildlife or sports) I will carry my 300mm f/4L IS lens and a 1.4x TC and possibly my 40mm f/5.6L lenses.

I always carry a pair of flashes, usually a 600EX-RT or a 320EX and a 270EXii.

I have a CPL filter for each lens, a remote release, lens hoods and, of course, plenty of CF cards. I have just been given a variable ND filter and need to test it out because I don't recognize the brand which is 'NEWER' (probably made in China). If it is decent, I will add that to my kit and if it is not, I will dispose of it.

As far as camera support goes, it depends on the things I will expect to shoot and the lenses I expect to use. I have tripods ranging from a full size Giottos to a tiny (but amazingly sturdy) table-top pod. I will also usually carry a monopod and an empty bean bag (which I can fill with rice or beans at my destination).

I carry my full kit in a Lowepro backpack and shoot with either a photo vest or a shoulder bag...

My wife usually carries her notebook computer and I will use that to download my images and copy them to a pair of small size but large capacity external hard drives. We each carry one of these hard drives in case one is damages or lost (redundancy is the name of the game).

If I don't plan on shooting, I might carry my Canon SX50HS and the 270EXii flash. I really feel naked doing so!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    Did anyone else notice Manfred is screwing off on the computer while he is supposed to be painting?

I say we tell his wife when she gets home!
    Can't you hear the paint drying?

All joking aside. I ran out of paint and am taking a break before heading out to the paint store. I knew it would take about a gallon, but I ended up being around 1/2 quart short (just the interior of the front hall closet). I'll finish that off tomorrow and then start on the doors and trim (always my least favourite part of the job).

For some strange reason, paint in Canada is sold in US gallons. I would have been fine with an Imperial gallon or 4 litres, but I get stuck with buying 3.8 litres.

Real Name
    Dan

For some strange reason, paint in Canada is sold in US gallons. I would have been fine with an Imperial gallon or 4 litres, but I get stuck with buying 3.8 litres.
    At least a lot of your things are now metric. Down here, virtually everything is still in the US version of the old English system, but of course we can't use that for anything scientific, and many things imported from almost anywhere else in the world are metric. It's compounded by the convention that many US measures, such as length, are by custom divided into fractions rather than decimals. Even something as simple as dividing or increasing a recipe can be a pain. (Quick: how many fluid ounces in a third of a cup? 1/8 of cup is how many teaspoons? All trivial in metric.) A completely pointless PITA. But I think painting would be just as unpleasant if we purchased the paint in liters.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Down here, virtually everything is still in the US version of the old English system
    Ironically, not the focal length or filter size of camera lenses and, of course, not the filters themselves.

Not wine. Even wine made in the U.S. is sold in liters.

Your point is valid, though, as I can't think of anything else sold in the U.S. using the metric system.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Ironically, not the focal length or filter size of camera lenses and, of course, not the filters themselves.

Not wine. Even wine made in the U.S. is sold in liters.

Your point is valid, though, as I can't think of anything else sold in the U.S. using the metric system.
    Yes, and soda too.

A US Metric Board was set up by law in 1975 to encourage a change to the metric system. It was abolished by Ronald Reagan in 1982.

According to Wikipedia and numerous other sources, the only other countries that haven't adopted the metric system officially are Myanmar and Liberia.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post

I seem to remember seeing a 2-inch Wollensack camera lens some time in the distant past. I seem to recall that Kodak produced some lenses that measured focal length in inches as well.

Back at university, I was in the last engineering class that had to know / use both the Imperial and Metric (SI) systems. The following years were SI only. The only meaningful difference between the US and Imperial systems of measure was the volume measures. In engineering school we referred to the measurement system as "British Engineering" rather than the more common term "Imperial".
    Last edited by Manfred M; 12th November 2015 at 12:56 AM.

Real Name
    randy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    No laptop for transferring images or are you uploading with wifi or carrying extra memory?
    Tablet, 2-32 GB cards for storage, left thumb for delete