Thread: Advice on gear

Real Name
    Jack

Advice on gear

Hey all,

Leaving on trip next week, looking for a one size fits all lens solution and I don't know if there is one.
    Bringing my a77, 50 f 1.4, 24-70 f 2.8 and 75-300 f 4.5-5.6. Is there another solution close to this combo?
    I would prefer to pack light if I could.

Thanks

Real Name
    John

Re: Advice on gear

The best lens is usually the one you left behind. Based on what you have and not knowing your style; I'd take the 24-70 and 75-300 and be content that you've got a good focal range covered. Do you receive Alpha Universe, a good magazine for your camera brand?

Real Name
    Dem

It depends on what you are going to shoot. I would definitely leave the 75-300mm behind. Technically the 50 mm range is covered by the other zoom. But I can see why you want to take this prime. I would :-)

Real Name
    Jack

Going to Hawaii, I'll shoot everything! ;-)
    Never heard of it
    Alpha Universe
    until now. Just got on, thanks.
    Last edited by jacsul; 31st October 2015 at 09:49 PM.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

When I travel I definitely want to have a long lens with me so I would never recommend leaving the 75-300mm at home. If people or street scenes are your thing maybe the 50mm prime. If it's architecture and some styles of landscape photography then you need a wide angle lens in the kit.

Like you I will shoot everything so I travel with a 15-30mm and a 28-300mm but next time to save weight I will look seriously at replacing the bulky 15-30mm with a fast 20mm prime. I would go even wider if it was not for the fact that I use a full frame sensor.

Real Name
    J stands for John

For years with digital I only had 35mm [equivalent] and learnt to stitch so if you have the capable editor it is the WA I would leave behind [ probably doesn't save much weight ] ... mind you I rarely want a wide view and only bought a bug-eye for fun and fortunately I have an editor to handle the results.

Real Name
    Neville Dukes

Check out the excellent Tamron 28-300 3.5-6.3. It is very sharp throughout the full range for a super zoom, compact and very well made and weighs in at 540 grams (less than 1 1/4 lbs) in Nikon mount. That, and a super wide prime or zoom should cover most things.
    Last edited by Ndukes; 1st November 2015 at 09:26 AM.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I like what John said (Message #2) that the best lens is the one you left behind...have definitely been a case with me several times and been sorry...but then nowadays on a plane trip I always bring two cameras so if one failed, I always have the other one to fall back on. So far so good, none of my lenses nor cameras failed me yet...but I failed them through lack of proper knowledge...I am getting good...

Real Name
    Jack

I almost thought to not take the prime, but its so small I figured why not. The Tamron 28-300 3.5-6.3 is something I'm looking into as I write this. The zeiss 24-70 is a workhorse though. Decisions, decisions....

Thanks for the replies.

Maybe I missed it but there seems to be a lot of missing information here...
    What is the purpose of your trip? If it is a photo-specific trip then take as much as you can: you can always be selective on a day-to-day basis.
    What kinds of things are you going to see and expect to photograph? A sporting event, general landscape, wildlife, people, social event?
    What are your limitations? For weight, capacity, security in your lodgings?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    What is the purpose of your trip? If it is a photo-specific trip then take as much as you can:
    That is the crux of it. The answer to the question flows from answering this question.

If it's a family holiday/vacation, then one or two lenses that will cover the sort of stuff that you can realistically be expecting to shoot. In my own case, I'm going to visit family in Malaysia in January. It will be one body and a couple of lenses. But in September I'm going to Yosemite for 4 weeks specifically for photography. For that, everything is coming - two bodies, 4 lenses, all the filters, tripod, etc etc. The works. Not sure how I get it all in a carry-on case yet, but I've got a few months to work on that one.

Real Name
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    That is the crux of it. The answer to the question flows from answering this question.

If it's a family holiday/vacation, then one or two lenses that will cover the sort of stuff that you can realistically be expecting to shoot. In my own case, I'm going to visit family in Malaysia in January. It will be one body and a couple of lenses. But in September I'm going to Yosemite for 4 weeks specifically for photography. For that, everything is coming - two bodies, 4 lenses, all the filters, tripod, etc etc. The works. Not sure how I get it all in a carry-on case yet, but I've got a few months to work on that one.

Real Name
    Jack

The purpose of the trip is business. I'll be going to Hawaii, I'll be looking to shoot everything; landscapes, wildlife, volcanos and people.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by jacsul View Post
    The purpose of the trip is business. I'll be going to Hawaii, I'll be looking to shoot everything; landscapes, wildlife, volcanos and people.
    Can we assume that photography is not part of the "business"?

... and therefore that the camera and lens(es) will actually be used for 'personal memory' captures?

My thoughts:

Most useful will very likely be the 24-70 (e.g. for volcanoes and landscapes), followed by the 75-300 IF you envisage shooting anything at a distance (e.g. wildlife and people).

The prime might be useful for low light work (and people), it is small and light enough to take anyway and not fret if it doesn't get used.

Have a good trip (both business and pleasure), Dave

Real Name
    Jack

Spot on Dave.
    Thanks! ;-)

Are you really going to want to lug around all that gear on your personal time off from 'work'?
    I'd take the most versatile lens that is the lightest. A camera not carried because it's 'too much' isn't going to get used.

Real Name
    Jack

The 2 main ones, the Zeiss and the 75-300 are the main workhorses. The prime is small enough to take anyway.
    It'll be a great time!