Thread: Lens creep with my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens

Real Name
    Richard

Lens creep with my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens

I have owned this lens for many years and love it dearly. However I have not noticed that under certain circumstances the focal length will creep.

I was asked by another rescue group to get a shot of Pepsi and Cola in a Trick of Treat venue. They wanted the dogs looking directly into the camera and wanted to be looking down at the dogs, just like I would if they came to my door in a trick or treat situation.

I seldom shoot with the camera pointed down and almost never shoot one handed. However, in this case I needed to hold a treat near the lens; using my left hand for the treat and operating the camera with my right hand.

Lens creep with my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens

When I pointed the camera down at the dogs, without holding the lens with my left hand, the lens would creep from wide angle to a longer focal length. It is a bit disconcerting but, since I will probably never shoot this way again, I dont really mind it.

Real Name
    John

Re: Lens creep with my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens

I have one or two lenses that exhibit the same behavior.

Real Name
    Dan

I have a bit with my 24-105. Usually I ignore it, but when I find it bothersome--like on long hikes--I use a Lensband. For $5, it's an easy if partial solution. If you google, you'll see that for at least some Canon lenses, you can supposedly slip the rubber on the barrel to uncover adjustment screws, but I have never tried it.

Thanks for that Dan, I have the 24 - 105 that has recently developed a creep, no bad, but i dont think it will improve ,
    Might have a look at the lensband

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Stanford View Post
    Thanks for that Dan, I have the 24 - 105 that has recently developed a creep, no bad, but i dont think it will improve ,
    Might have a look at the lensband
    Well worth it. A similar band fixed two lenses of mine that had the same problem.

Real Name
    Richard

Thanks for the link to Lensband...

Real Name
    Jim

I keep several wide rubber bands in my case for just such purposes. I also have a black sock cut in half. I use the leg portion to go over the lens and the ND filter stack when I'm using one to keep side light out.

Real Name
    Kevin

Lens creep is especially irritating to me. My life has improved a little since I started using a single strip of electrical tape along the barrel, crossing the focusing ring onto the stationary portion. A strip of about 2-3 cm will arrest the creep, leave no residual from the tape, and is weak enough that if I forget it's on there, still let's me adjust the focal length with no noticeable extra effort.