Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Portraits

Real Name
    Matt

Baby Portraits

I have stupidly agreed to photograph a friends baby, I have never done anything like this before, does anyone have any pointers or links to a good tutorial resource? Examples? etc.

Many thanks

Real Name
    David

Re: Baby Portraits

There are loads on you tube Matt, maybe watching a few of those might help mate?

Real Name
    Allan Short

Matt really do not worry about it, just get a good focus and exposure, parents will love anything you give them as long as their child or children are in it.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I think the principles of good portraiture apply as much to babies as to bigger people.

The series of tutorials that Colin Southern developed here on the forum is one source of valuable information. Look at:- School of Portraiture - Links to Lessons 1 through 8

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks all, I've been meaning to try a bit of portraiture photography and I thought this is a perfect opportunity ... thats why I said yes really.

Cheers Donald, I'll have a look at that link when I get home later.

I have taken a few photos of my cats, so same thing I suppose

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Thanks all, I've been meaning to try a bit of portraiture photography and I thought this is a perfect opportunity ... thats why I said yes really.

Cheers Donald, I'll have a look at that link when I get home later.

I have taken a few photos of my cats, so same thing I suppose
    The only issue I see, after working out backgrounds and lighting; is getting the child positioned and looking in the direction you want. You might have to play with the kid for a few hours before you get the cooperation you desire.

Real Name
    Matt

I should of mentioned in my original post, that these shots will be outdoors!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Matt,

I haven't tried this yet either, but one thought that crossed my mind might be to avoid 'body part distortions' by getting 'sucked in' (because of the subjects small size) and shooting from too close - i.e. using too short a focal length.

Also, as with cats; get down to their level (for most shots).

Good luck, Dave

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Matt,

I haven't tried this yet either, but one thought that crossed my mind might be to avoid 'body part distortions' by getting 'sucked in' (because of the subjects small size) and shooting from too close - i.e. using too short a focal length.

Also, as with cats; get down to their level (for most shots).

Good luck, Dave
    Cheers Dave, I was going to use my Tamron 90mm f2.8

Real Name
    Richard

Your Tamron 90mm f/2.8 should be a good focal length for baby portraits. How do you plan on shooting outdoors? IMO, that is not the greatest situation for babies. Indoors in a more controlled environment might work better...

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    . . . agreed to photograph a friends baby, I have never done anything like this before, does anyone have any pointers . . .
    How old?

If very young, the Baby able to sit, without support?

What gear do you have? (Camera, Lenses, Lighting)

WW

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

? ? ?

Wondering . . .

WW

Real Name
    Dan

Well, I am no expert in shooting baby pictures, but circumstances have conspired to have me doing it more and more. I agree with Richard--I would rather do it indoors, with controlled lighting. I have an upcoming baby shoot, and I intend to do it indoors with two lighting tools: a reflector in case there is enough window light and a flash with a bounce card in case there isn't. Here is one done the latter way. I had a 430 EXII mounted on the camera, aiming up for bounce flash, I think with a sto-fen, and a large bounce card (Demb Flip-it) to get some catch light. f/4.5, 105 mm (full frame).

Baby Portraits

Real Name
    Andrew

Two words. Eye level.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Since I did this for a living, apart from weddings and 21st, I would warn you of the possibility of the child mimmicing you closing one eye as you look through the viewfinder I quickly leant to work with both eye open ]. The other practice I used with my SLR and still do is look around or over the camera for blinks. Possibly not a good idea with a 90mm.
    But in view of the time delay this thread occupies, and WW's question, it was a disaster ... or you are an expert

Real Name
    J stands for John

Since

Real Name
    Kay

Hi Matt
    I have some experience in this area.
    Babies are soft, light them softly - is my mantra with this subject (well Joe McNally, but I listened)
    Also I am fond of using the macro lens for the teeny details, then creating a collage of those images.
    Keep them warm & fed goes without saying.
    If they do go to sleep - then it's a good idea to have 'white noise' going continuously, to disuse the sound of the shutter when that goes off.
    e.gs attached - hope Im not too late

Baby Portraits

Baby Portraits

Real Name
    Dan

I'm curious about one of the ideas in this thread and would be grateful for comments from people who have more experience. I have done a modest number of baby shots with flash--not direct, of course, but bounced with a diffuser,and with a bounce card to direct a bit of light forward. The one I posted above was done that way. None of the babies responded to the indirect flash, as far as I could tell, even though I generally did quite a number of shots. However--and this is a big however--none of them were newborns.

So, my question is whether that sort of indirect flash would disturb very young babies. There are two babies on their way around here, both due in January, and I know I will be expected to do the photography. I intend to carry a reflector to make the most of natural light, but both of the families live in places that don't have a great deal of natural light, so I am concerned that I may not have enough natural light, even with the reflector.

Kay--your suggestion of carrying a macro lens and doing a collage of little views is a wonderful one. I will definitely back a macro.

Many thanks.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Dan,

I have photographed a few Births and/or Portraiture ‘minutes old’ - for which I have used only Available Light: more about the ambiance in the setting and the intimate Style of the Portraiture than about ‘disturbing the infant’.

For all Baby Portraiture, including Babies a ‘days old’, I would prefer to have Flash available for me to use, in the Studio Shoot-through or Umbrella Bounce typically or at the Client's home Umbrella Bounce typically.

I know of no evidence that shows Flash used at typical Portraiture Distances is harmful or disturbing and I have sought opinion from Paediatricians.

This can be a topic for hot debate and I have witnessed a few passionate forum discussions: however, for me, if the Mum or Dad said definitively 'no flash' I would not discuss the matter any further, no matter my thoughts on the topic.

Have fun in January!

WW

Real Name
    Dan

Bill,

Thanks. I hadn't thought about taking along an umbrella.

Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast