Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby Portraits

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: Baby Portraits

Dan,

For me I have found one umbrella the easiest "no fuss" method: I have a little (small) umbrella about 900mm dia. and I can rig a 580 on the end and hold it in one hand using an off-camera cord. Very young babies don't move much. One umbrella for Soft Fill or a Kicker when using Available Light as Key in outdoor Soft Sunlight harvests good results, or, alternatively, one umbrella inside creates a nice but simple "studio" effect.

BTW I meant to mention earlier: the macro/montage idea is a great idea, Kay.

All babies are so cute!

WW

Real Name
    Dan

Bill,

thanks

Dan

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    Hi Matt
    I have some experience in this area.
    Babies are soft, light them softly - is my mantra with this subject (well Joe McNally, but I listened)
    Also I am fond of using the macro lens for the teeny details, then creating a collage of those images.
    Keep them warm & fed goes without saying.
    If they do go to sleep - then it's a good idea to have 'white noise' going continuously, to disuse the sound of the shutter when that goes off.
    e.gs attached - hope Im not too late

Baby Portraits

Baby Portraits
    Kay,

Your baby pictures are a real inspiration. I have about 4-5 weeks to rethink how I will handle the new ones I have to do. Would you be willing to share the aperture setting and sensor size for the shots in the bottom collage, particularly the larger ones? I'm trying to figure out optimal apertures for the DOF I want, and I would like to experiment before the date.

thanks very much.

Dan

Real Name
    Kay

Thankyou Dan, you're very kind.
    And without being too cliche about it, most of everything I've learnt has come in some part or whole through this forum.
    I will get onto LR tonight & look out some more technical info for you.

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Kay,

Your baby pictures are a real inspiration. I have about 4-5 weeks to rethink how I will handle the new ones I have to do. Would you be willing to share the aperture setting and sensor size for the shots in the bottom collage, particularly the larger ones? I'm trying to figure out optimal apertures for the DOF I want, and I would like to experiment before the date.

thanks very much.

Dan
    Hi Dan
    Sorry I didn't get to this the other day.
    2 seperate camera/lens combos were used, so as to be quick & catch him.
    The macros were on a 7D with 100mm prime lens, ISO 500, aperture either 2.8 or 4 & time set last as required for exposure.
    The larger ones with the Baby all in, were with. 5D III and a 50mm prime, ISO 800 f/2 or f/4 & again time last as needed.
    I hope that helps & I look forward to seeing & hearing how you go, I'm sure it will be great!

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post

Hi Dan
    Sorry I didn't get to this the other day.
    2 seperate camera/lens combos were used, so as to be quick & catch him.
    The macros were on a 7D with 100mm prime lens, ISO 500, aperture either 2.8 or 4 & time set last as required for exposure.
    The larger ones with the Baby all in, were with. 5D III and a 50mm prime, ISO 800 f/2 or f/4 & again time last as needed.
    I hope that helps & I look forward to seeing & hearing how you go, I'm sure it will be great!
    Hi Kay,

Thanks very much. This information is exactly what I was looking for. I hadn't thought about taking two cameras, but perhaps I should.

I no longer have a 50mm prime, so on my FF, I can't get wider than f/4, but perhaps the time has come to get myself a faster prime. (In the ancient days, my standard lens was a 50mm f/1.4 FD lens.)

Dan

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

I'm fortunate enough to own what may be described as a couple of old fashioned lenses which draw a much more romantic or softer image than the modern lens designs which seem now to focus on high micro contrast and maximum sharpness. They are perfect for portraiture and babies in particular. Obviously not a purchase to consider for a one off assignment but if there is a likelihood of you pursuing that genre something worth thinking about.
    You could of course purchase a soft focus filter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12