Thread: LR 5 and RAW/NEF files

Real Name
    Philippe

LR 5 and RAW/NEF files

I use Lr5.2 to adjust my RAW(NEF) files and paid attention that when opening them in LR they appears a lot darker than in the camera (D7100) or in ViewNX2 (Nikon). I'm curious to know if it is normal or if there is a problem with the pictures (wrong shooting settings)? Anyway, in most of the cases it's adjustable with the basic tools, except that for some darker pictures the adjustment give noise.
    Thanks for enlighting my ignorance.
    PhilT

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: LR 5 and RAW/NEF files

I use ViewNX to download and cull my images, then PS CC to process.

I don't see an effect like this Phil.

Perhaps a LR user can assist better than my guess...

PS CC/LR 5/6/CC has the means to adjust exposure and other image settings. I would imagine that you have inadvertently saved a default that is applying a drop in exposure. This is quite easy to do in ACR (and hence I guess also LR) and because this is the default, it applies it to any image you open.

If you notice any of the sliders not being at zero or mid-point (it may not be the exposure one), then that is likely the cause.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 26th October 2015 at 02:11 PM.

Real Name
    John

I get the opposite, when opening in LR they appear brighter however any change I witness is short lived as I make my own alterations.

Real Name
    Robin

Do you have the Active D-Lighting switched on?

This will underexpose the shot by a stop or so to hold onto highlights then the (Nikon) software or in-camera JPEG engine will boost the shadows to give an even exposure. I would be surprised if Lightroom recognised this info from the NEF data and all you're getting is the un-altered image.

If you shoot NEF turn this feature off.

Real Name
    Philippe

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    Do you have the Active D-Lighting switched on?

This will underexpose the shot by a stop or so to hold onto highlights then the (Nikon) software or in-camera JPEG engine will boost the shadows to give an even exposure. I would be surprised if Lightroom recognised this info from the NEF data and all you're getting is the un-altered image.

If you shoot NEF turn this feature off.
    Thanks a lot for the tip . I'm not quite sure but it is possible that in some of my camera pre-settings I put a minimal D-lighting. I think I can find it in the metadata of the pictures if I open with ViewNX. I'll will turn it off for the next pictures.