Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any ideas?

Real Name
    Kim

Re: Any ideas?

Thanks for making me smile Terry :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    Atta Girl Kim! I hope this guy accepts your offer.

And when he does just jump right into the Big Middle of it and don’t look back!

My money is on you because I know you will bring this home in your usual awesome style and with your usual awesome grace.

I’m looking forward to you kicking some high-gloss ceramic butt!

(We'll save the "mentor" [and I use that term most diplomatically here] kicking for later!)

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Somehow, I missed this thread. Thanks to Terry for pointing it out to me...I've just had a read and it makes me feel excited for you for this opportunity. Give us an update, will you? It does not matter which way happens, that you tried will be very good enough for us to know as we have seen you evolved a lot in your photography a lot...
    Cheers...

Real Name
    Kim

Hi Izzie. I didn't have an update until now. I just heard he wants to give it a whirl. :-) So, I'll work with a couple of pieces and then decide if we move forward on others.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Somehow, I missed this thread. Thanks to Terry for pointing it out to me...I've just had a read and it makes me feel excited for you for this opportunity. Give us an update, will you? It does not matter which way happens, that you tried will be very good enough for us to know as we have seen you evolved a lot in your photography a lot...
    Cheers...

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Great to know that the project is moving forward. The approach the two of you have chosen seems so sensible.

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks Mike. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Great to know that the project is moving forward. The approach the two of you have chosen seems so sensible.

Good news, Kim. You can do this.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Rita View Post
    Echoing your comment, Rita....You can do this. You can do this. You can do this. You can do this. You can do this.

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks ladies. Thursday is the day to test out a few pieces. Need to put my set-up together and test it before then :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Rita View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Echoing your comment, Rita....You can do this. You can do this. You can do this. You can do this. You can do this.

Real Name
    mark

Quote Originally Posted by KimC View Post
    Thanks to everyone who commented... I offered photographing a couple of pieces and then deciding from there if we do more. He was an art director and creative director in a prior life, so my learning could be two-fold. Waiting to hear if he wants to accept the offer. However the chips fall, I'm glad I made the offer.
    I know there are just words and sometimes hard to follow but "relax and try to have fun." You may find that you really like this type of photography. If you don't already have it Pick up a copy of the book. Light Science and Magic. lots of info on light.
    Last edited by mknittle; 8th November 2015 at 03:18 PM.

Real Name
    Kim

Thank you Mark. I am actually excited about this as I love his work. It's an added bonus that there is no pressure.

I do have that book (Mike B had recommended it to me awhile back), and I have also been watching some videos (I tend to be a visual learner).

Quote Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
    I know there are just words and sometimes hard to follow but "relax and try to have fun." You may find that you really like this type of photography. If you don't already have it Pick up a copy of the book. Light Science and Magic. lots of info on light.

Real Name
    Kim

Well, I finally got together with my friend to see if I could help him. It was a real treat to work with. This is one of my favorite pieces of his.

Thanks to everyone who offered support and encouragement.

Any ideas?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

We knew you could do it and I would be willing to bet that this image is 1000 times better than your friend could have done it. Anyone who hasn't made a photo like this would probably think it's easy to produce such a nice transition between tabletop and background while also making such a pleasing gradient, but it can be difficult. Nice display of the shape, color and texture, though I would try bringing out more of the texture during post-processing before deciding the current treatment is best. (You may have already done that.)

I always struggle at designing a scene, so it's in that context that I wonder why you used a grey background and tabletop. That color doesn't seem to complement the subject for me. Perhaps that was a requirement of your client or a competition in which he plans to submit the photo.

Have you verified that the color of the subject in the image is the same as the color of the physical object? That isn't important in the tabletop photography that I do because my photos aren't of items I am trying to sell. Your friend is trying to sell his items to prospective customers reviewing the photo, so color accuracy is extremely important.

Real Name
    mark

Very nice Kim, great work

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks Mike. He asked that I not do much PP on the object...so I pretty much only did the standard stuff. I know it's far from perfect, but I was proud to do something outside my comfort zone and it was a good experience.

The backdrop and table top was his choice. If he uses these, they were for a show submission. If I was marketing there for sale, I would pack them up and head to the beach -- I see these sitting in the sand and being photographed either during a sunrise or sunset. I did mention that to him. The color on this one is how I remember, but have asked him to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    We knew you could do it and I would be willing to bet that this image is 1000 times better than your friend could have done it. Anyone who hasn't made a photo like this would probably think it's easy to produce such a nice transition between tabletop and background while also making such a pleasing gradient, but it can be difficult. Nice display of the shape, color and texture, though I would try bringing out more of the texture during post-processing before deciding the current treatment is best. (You may have already done that.)

I always struggle at designing a scene, so it's in that context that I wonder why you used a grey background and tabletop. That color doesn't seem to complement the subject for me. Perhaps that was a requirement of your client or a competition in which he plans to submit the photo.

Have you verified that the color of the subject in the image is the same as the color of the physical object? That isn't important in the tabletop photography that I do because my photos aren't of items I am trying to sell. Your friend is trying to sell his items to prospective customers reviewing the photo, so color accuracy is extremely important.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12