Thread: Would JPEG orTIFF make a difference when send for printing?

Real Name
    Arun

Would JPEG orTIFF make a difference when send for printing?

Hello,
    Mine Canon 40D and photos are captured in RAW and processed in Mac's Aperture program.
    Now when it comes for export to online printing or to upload to online photo album, I have to choose the format to JPEG. [I have not found a place where I could upload in TIFF}

Most online printing out-lets seem to accept the JPEG format for uploading & printing photos.

Would it make any difference in the quality of the printing for better,I mean, if the uploaded format is in TIFF? If so does any body aware of online printing facilities for me to upload in the format of TIFF?
    Regards

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Would JPEG orTIFF make a difference when send for printing?

Snowshine

I'm sure the real printing experts will come to comment on this question. For my part, I don't print my own but have started communications with someone who provides a bespoke printing service, He certainly is not asking for TIFFs, saying good quality JPEGs are what he needs from me.

Donald
    Last edited by Donald; 4th July 2010 at 08:48 AM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by snowshine View Post
    Would it make any difference in the quality of the printing for better,I mean, if the uploaded format is in TIFF? If so does any body aware of online printing facilities for me to upload in the format of TIFF?
    Regards
    Hi Snowshine,

The short answer is "no" - it won't make any difference.

The long answer is "no - it won't make any difference so long as the images are converted to the sRGB profile (ie not Adobe RGB or ProPhoto RGB), and the JPEG quality is set to max".

Real Name
    Arun

Hello Colin,
    I see the following options for export:
    JPEG Original size
    JPEG 50% Original size
    JPEG to fit within 1024 x 1024
    JPEG to fit within 640 x 640

I do not see JPEG to set to maximum quality?

Which one would be best choice in your opinion?

Thank you for your answer
    Regards

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hello Colin,
    I see the following options for export:
    JPEG Original size
    JPEG 50% Original size
    JPEG to fit within 1024 x 1024
    JPEG to fit within 640 x 640

I do not see JPEG to set to maximum quality?

Which one would be best choice in your opinion?

Thank you for your answer
    Regards
    For printing, it's going to depend on the size you print, and the current resolution of the image. If in doubt, go for "original size" as the printer will down-sample them as required -- the only down side is that the images may end up being physically bigger files than they need to be, which can take longer to send electronically.

As a "rule of thumb" you need an image with pixel dimensions that are approx 180 x the height and width of the image, in inches - so a 6 x 4 inch "post card" size image would need to be around 1080 pixels wide by 720 pixels, but whether that's 100% or 50% of original size etc will depend on how many pixels you had to start with, and how heavily the image is cropped.

Real Name
    Steaphany

...does any body aware of online printing facilities for me to upload in the format of TIFF?
    Imagekind

From their Content FAQ:
    What type of file formats can I upload to my gallery?

Imagekind accepts JPEG, PNG, and TIFF formats for online upload to galleries.
    I use Imagekind ( just click the My Photography link below in my signature ), my uploads are typically 10560 x 7040, and they do beautiful work.

I would be inclined to think that imagekind and other storefronts/photo sharing sites will convert a .png, tiff and other formats into jpeg ones. Lossless formats are significantly larger for marginal or no image quality benefits. Hence, it would be more cost efficient to store it in jpeg. I'm afraid I'm a little skeptical.

Anyway, the site that Steaphany mentioned looks neat! See if it suits what you need.