Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing lenses in the field

Real Name
    John

Changing lenses in the field

I checked to see if this had been posted and couldn't find it in any threads. Not advocating the method just wanted to share the suspense.

http://www.slrphotographyguide.com/b...-lens-tip.html

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Re: Changing lenses in the field

#fumble fumble...#

CLUNK!!!

"Oh, %@&)*&^%#!!"

0_0

Ok if you've got big man-mits.

But thanks for the link.

Real Name
    David

Hi - Interesting video. Although I'm a man, I'm with Kit on this - my hands are not sufficiently large to do this. I have tried, but I can't get both lenses into the one hand as shown. Nevertheless, the the general point is worth pursuing: How do people change lenses "en plein aire" or indeed anywhere? My method is to have a flat space with one lens resting front cap down and rear cap removed; then, with front cap on the camera lens, remove it via the release button, place this lens front cap down on the flat surface, pick and lock the new lens in place; put rear cap on the replaced lens; stow in bag if appropriate.

Anything better?

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Steve

#fumble fumble#

CLUNK!!!

Your supposed to hold the camera butterfingers

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Anything better?
    My method is to have a flat space with one lens resting front cap down and rear cap just resting in place.
    Then, remove camera lens via the release button, place this lens front cap down on the flat surface, beside the new one,
    Transfer the rear lens cap,
    Pick new lens and lock in place,
    Now properly attach rear cap on the replaced lens,
    Stow in bag if appropriate.

All carried out with sensor facing floor of course.
    If I'm really paying attention, I even have the new lens facing the right way so it goes on with out having to rotate it too far

Outside, a park bench often forms the flat surface, although I try to go out with correct lens on if I can, or do it in car if windy (but my car is quite dusty )

Not a lot different

Real Name
    Rick

I either use Donald's technique, or put the lens front element-up in my bag. I know that sliding the lens into the bag with the rear element down can get dust in it, but I keep the bag pretty clean, and really haven't had any problems.

One point, though: I thought at first that the video was about a technique I read about once (I wish I could find it: I'd add a link ). I really like it. If you wrap your right hand around a Canon lens from the top of the camera, the side of your right index finger pretty naturally hits the release button. If you practice it 3-4 times, it becomes automatic, and there's no fumbling for the release button. If you have the other lens right there, the actual swap is very quick.

Cheers,
    Rick

I want my six minutes back! Six minutes to tell me in over-elaborate detail how to change a camera lens. However, one thing does come out of this. Recently (probably because I'm getting old) I've started doing really bizarre things like reading instruction manuals, and trying to do ordinary things in a slightly different way. I've been surprised to find there is often a much better way to do certain things. So, although I have some support for what the video instruction states, I'd still like to know how I can double-change my Sigma 70-200 which weighs THREE POUNDS!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    ... I'd still like to know how I can double-change my Sigma 70-200 which weighs THREE POUNDS!
    Eat more porridge. It builds your strength. And then you'd be eligible to wear a kilt ... sans underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Eat more porridge. It builds your strength. And then you'd be eligible to wear a kilt.
    Donald, if I wore a kilt the answer to the question 'how to avoid dust when changing lenses' would be simple. Wouldn't it?

Real Name
    Rick

Donald, if I wore a kilt the answer to the question 'how to avoid dust when changing lenses' would be simple. Wouldn't it?
    Rob, I'm shocked! You don't wear a kilt? Have you no sense of Celtic pride? According to the Wikipedia article on kilts:

Although not a traditional component of national dress outside Scotland, kilts have become recently popular in the other Celtic nations as a sign of Celtic identity. Kilts and tartans can therefore also be seen in Wales, Cornwall, the Isle of Man, Brittany, Galicia in Spain, the Minho and Tras-os-Montes regions in the North of Portugal, and Normandy, as well as parts of England, particularly the North East.

It goes on to say that the St. David's Tartan (Welsh: brithwe Dewi Sant) is one of the most popular tartans in Wales: we'll expect to see a picture of you (or Andy Warhol) in one quite soon.

Cheers,
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rick55 View Post
    Rob, I'm shocked! You don't wear a kilt? Have you no sense of Celtic pride? According to the Wikipedia article on kilts:

It goes on to say that the St. David's Tartan (Welsh: brithwe Dewi Sant) is one of the most popular tartans in Wales: we'll expect to see a picture of you (or Andy Warhol) in one quite soon.
    I don't have to put up with this - I'm Welsh and a respected member of the criminal underworld! You are just trying, rather pathetically if I may say, to goad me into shooting a video remake called 'Changing kilts in the field' It won't work, it really won't. I might do it for Kit...

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I just try to keep the camera body facing down, and the end cap off either lens for the shortest amount of time. At the end of the day, dust always gets in -- I think the best way to summarise it is "just get used to it".

Real Name
    Pops

I'd still like to know how I can double-change my Sigma 70-200 which weighs THREE POUNDS!
    You don't change lenses, in that situation. Think "change camera."

I always have my camera suspended by the strap(s) and have one lens in one hand, remove the locked lens from the camera with my left hand and place the new lens with my right hand. This works well when you are using a 3-point suspension harness, as I usually do.

Sometimes, I will open the top of my fanny pack (waist bag) and put the camera lens into it. Then I press the release, rotate the camera and leave the old lens in the bag until I get the new one locked in place. DON'T do this with a LONG lens, unless your bag is deeper and firmer than is usual.

When I was rock climbing, I had belt cases made for my two common lenses. That way I could change lenses while hanging from a rope over a loooooong drop to the floor of the canyon.

Pops

Pops

Real Name
    Robert S.

I a missing the written down indication "DON'T DO THIS WITH A 500MM F/2.8 LENSE" at the end of this video

cu
    Robert

Real Name
    John

My method is pretty much the same, although I usually kneel with my camera bag on the ground and I place the removed lens directly into the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Hi - Interesting video. Although I'm a man, I'm with Kit on this - my hands are not sufficiently large to do this. I have tried, but I can't get both lenses into the one hand as shown. Nevertheless, the the general point is worth pursuing: How do people change lenses "en plein aire" or indeed anywhere? My method is to have a flat space with one lens resting front cap down and rear cap removed; then, with front cap on the camera lens, remove it via the release button, place this lens front cap down on the flat surface, pick and lock the new lens in place; put rear cap on the replaced lens; stow in bag if appropriate.

Anything better?

Cheers

David

Real Name
    John

Well the instructor did mention that uniformity (size of lens) helps alot. I like the hold it under your chin method he referenced. What's the odds something distracts you and you turn your head, especially "Oh wow, that's a rare bird for this area" or "is that a bear?".

I want my six minutes back! Six minutes to tell me in over-elaborate detail how to change a camera lens. However, one thing does come out of this. Recently (probably because I'm getting old) I've started doing really bizarre things like reading instruction manuals, and trying to do ordinary things in a slightly different way. I've been surprised to find there is often a much better way to do certain things. So, although I have some support for what the video instruction states, I'd still like to know how I can double-change my Sigma 70-200 which weighs THREE POUNDS!

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    You don't change lenses, in that situation. Think "change camera."

When I was rock climbing, I had belt cases made for my two common lenses. That way I could change lenses while hanging from a rope over a loooooong drop to the floor of the canyon.

Pops

Pops
    Now that would be an impressive video.

That is a great video. It's incredible that we can learn just about everything in photography, its not all about taking pictures!
    Thanks for the tips, I'll practice as soon as I receive my camera.

Real Name
    Mark

Good for smallish lenses but I doubt it would work when changing one large telephoto for another>

Real Name
    Richard

I JUST HAD TO COMMENT ON THIS OLD THREAD

I guess that holding a lens under your chin might work until you were attending the Reno Nevada Air Races this last weekend and someone said,

'LOOK UP, THERE'S AN F-51 THAT'S CRASHING DOWN ON US!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast