Thread: Fall Colours - Algonquin Park

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Fall Colours - Algonquin Park

We spent one final day hiking in Algonquin Park. The main reason we returned is that the sugar maples were at peak colour and there was very little leaf fall. Because the fall has been so mild, the trees have been taking their time with the colour change and the peak is running about a week later than usual. The other impact of the mild weather is that the leaf colours are not nearly as intense as they usually are this year.

These images were taken on the Track & Tower trail, a 7.7 km / 4.8 mile long loop that includes a climb to an outlook point, where a fire tower once stood. The trail is roughly at km 25 on the south side of Highway 60,

1. View of the canopy from the outlook. The lake in the distance is Cache Lake.

2. View of the canopy from the outlook. This is also Cache Lake. Lots of conifers mean the scene has a lot more green in it.

3. A small creek along the trail.

4. A view of the colours along Highway 60 near the trailhead.

Real Name
    raymond

Re: Fall Colours - Algonquin Park

Great captures especially one and three for me , looks so colorful with that autum feel conveyed so well .

Real Name
    Jim

Nice fall colors. Just starting to get some reds in Ohio.

Real Name
    Dan

Glad you found the color you were seeking, Manfred. I really like this type of blended forest better for fall colors. The evergreens provide nice contrast to the colors IMO.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Another very fine set of images and as Dan has written, glad you found the autumn/fall colour that you hoped to see.

I think the third in the set (that featuring the river) is of particular interest as a picture, given that I imagine it was quite a challenge to get the exposure correct.
    Last edited by Donald; 9th October 2015 at 10:12 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Another very fine set of images and as Dan has written, glad you found the autumn/fall colour that you hoped to see.

I think the third in the set (that featuring the river) is of particular interest as a picture, given that I imagine it was quite a challenge to get the exposure correct.
    It's called dodging and burning.

I don't use the dodge and burn tools, but in Photoshop I use blending modes and layer masks. That way I can protect the tonality in the area I adjust. For lightening I use the screen blending mode and for darkening I will use the multiply blending mode.

From a fall leaves standpoint, there was heavy rain and high winds that followed. That stripped the leaves off a lot of trees. We are in the southern part of the province this weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving) and the trees were not quite as far along as farther north, so they escaped relatively unscathed.

Real Name
    John

Nice set.