Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Day 01: July 2010 Photo-a-Day Thread

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Day 01: July 2010 Photo-a-Day Thread

Hi Folks,

It is time

I'll create a new thread here each day - so all our PAD participants need to do is simply post their daily image into the appropriate "Day XX"; others, please feel free to comment and discuss as usual. The time differences might make this a bit strange to some, but I'm sure it'll sort itself out eventually (it's the 1st of July in about 3 1/2 hours as I write this).

I'd like to encourage (ie "optional") people to create a seperate "PAD - July" album (either as a gallery here, or on their favourite hosting site), and place the link to the album in each daily post so that people can view just your images if they wish.

Re: Day 01: July 2010 Photo-a-Day Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    I'd like to encourage (ie "optional") people to create a seperate "PAD - July" album (either as a gallery here, or on their favourite hosting site), and place the link to the album in each daily post so that people can view just your images if they wish.
    That's a good idea, Colin. The best way to do it on Flickr is to create a 'set', put all the shots in there, and you then get a slideshow link which you can 'share' with others.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

So, just to clarify for the hard of thinking, like me

Each day, a new thread is started by you (like this one) and we all put ONE photo in it.

However, it helps enormously if, rather than using TinyPic (which scatters the images), we either use an album here at CiC, OR our own websites at Flickr, PBase, etc.

The reason it helps is because then a link can be provided to see all of one persons shots in one place, probably as a slideshow.

Have I got that all straight in my head?

Thanks,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 30th June 2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: add second url to help

Real Name
    Rick

Queen Kitty

I'll start things. I figured that since I'm 16 hours behind, I'd better start a day early, or things will be all messed up.

A continuation of my quest for the perfect picture of our cat. She doesn't do posing, so I have to set up lights where she is. I had two flashes on RF control, one with umbrella, one with diffuser, manual on 1/8 and 1/16 power. EXIF is apparently lost when I put it in my CiC album, so:

Camera Model: Canon EOS REBEL T1i
    Lens: EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
    Image Date: 2010-06-30 11:42:57 +0000
    Focal Length: 100mm
    Focus Distance: 1.85m
    Aperture: f/4.5
    Exposure Time: 0.011 s (1/90)
    ISO equiv: 100
    Exposure Bias: none
    Metering Mode: Spot
    Exposure: Manual
    Exposure Mode: Manual
    White Balance: Auto
    Flash Fired: No

Any C&C will be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Have I got that all straight in my head?
    Yes

Real Name

Couldn't decide on a single photo from this morning's walk around the airfield ... so here's three!

The first two are (as far as I know) a bird known as a Heron - I often see it on my walks, but it's quite timid ... which means that I can often get some good "take off and landing" type shots. The last shot is / is not a graphic of a helicopter on the side of a building ... you guys tell me which

Hope you enjoy!

Click here to visit my July 2010 PAD Gallery
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 1st July 2010 at 01:37 AM.

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Colin,

You are correct - in fact it is a White Faced Heron and the straw plumage means it is in breeding season. Nice shots.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    Hi Colin,

You are correct - in fact it is a White Faced Heron and the straw plumage means it is in breeding season. Nice shots.
    Ah - thanks Peter, and thanks Peter! I actually got quite a few "perfect reflection" shots of the bird this morning -- well they would have been "perfect" if I'd framed the shots a bit better! I shot everything today with a 70-200 & 2x Teleconverter - so not "tack sharp", but turned out OK

Real Name
    Rick

Nice shots, Colin: the take-off is really dynamic. I'm placing my chips on the helicopter being real.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by rick55 View Post
    Nice shots, Colin: the take-off is really dynamic. I'm placing my chips on the helicopter being real.

Cheers,
    Rick
    Thanks Rick -- I'll see what the other's think before revealing too much

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Day 01: July 2010 Photo-a-Day Thread: Sparrow eating wild apples

Another birdy. We are parked up right beside an old untended apple tree. Sparrows and waxeyes folk to eat from the ripening apples. They are very shy and capturing them means standing very, very still, in the cold, for a long time. D-d-d-d-d-d-d!

Creation date: 1/07/2010 12:06
    Camera: NIKON D80
    Lens: AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G IF-ED
    Focal length: 300*mm*(equiv. 450*mm)
    Aperture: F5.6
    Exposure time: 1/250"
    ISO speed rating: 400/27°
    Program: Aperture priority
    Metering Mode: Center-weighted average
    White Balance: Sunny
    Focus Mode: AF-S
    Image Stabilizer: On
    Noise Reduction: Off
    Flash: Flash did not fire
    Last edited by Klickit; 1st July 2010 at 04:11 AM. Reason: To add more complete exif data.

Real Name

Re: Day 01: July 2010 Photo-a-Day Thread: Sparrow eating wild apples

Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    Wow - great stuff Kit - I reckon us Kiwi's are setting the bar pretty high already

Real Name
    Terry

Colin, Kit?

Very nice stuff. I am kind of envying the cold “D-d-d-d-d-d” right now, Kit! But that one was worth the frost on the old pumpkin!

Colin? I am blind in one eye, and can’t see too good out of the other one! But unless your “graphic” is able to project a blade over the roof of that building, it seems to me that that bird is in flight! If I had to guess that anything was a “graphic”, I would have to guess your #2 shot of the Heron.

Durn swing wings!

A very sweet series and I always look forward to enjoying your shots. Over here in my neck of the woods we have “Great Blues”. A tad different looking, but no less timid! Very common, however, on our free-flowing rivers. And poetry-in-motion watching them in their wet environment and when on the wing, nothing more graceful.

Rick? Your Kitty is burning a hole with those eyes. I don’t know if you consider it perfect, but that is one the Queen could add to her Palace Wall! Well done to Her Majesty's Personal Royal Shooter!
    Last edited by Loose Canon; 1st July 2010 at 03:21 AM.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    Colin? I am blind in one eye, and can’t see too good out of the other one! But unless your “graphic” is able to project a blade over the roof of that building, it seems to me that that bird is in flight! If I had to guess that anything was a “graphic”, I would have to guess your #2 shot of the Heron.
    Hi Terry - I thought of cloning it out, but I didn't think anyone would look that closely!

Real Name
    Terry

Hi Colin!

You couldn't stop there. You would have had to do the rotor "hub" (sorry, my technical knowledge of aircraft is jack!), which is also above the roof line!

I apologize. But you did put it in "challenge" form!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    Hi Colin!

You couldn't stop there. You would have had to do the rotor "hub" (sorry, my technical knowledge of aircraft is jack!), which is also above the roof line!
    Rotor hub sounds about right to me, but I'm not an expert. All I know it that the nut at the top is apparantly nicknamed the "Jesus nut" because if it ever comes undone in flight then he's the only one who will be able to save you!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    The last shot is / is not a graphic of a helicopter on the side of a building ... you guys tell me which
    You can just see the right rotor blade above the roofline. Good shots, Colin.

Re: Day 01: July 2010 Photo-a-Day Thread: Sparrow eating wild apples

Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    Good shot, Kit, and a very unusual bird composition. I need to go and take some shots!!!

Real Name
    Wendy

Re: Queen Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by rick55 View Post
    Nice shot Rick. She does indeed look like royalty, I think she deserves a spot in the Pet Potrait thread Pet Portraits - please post them here. I don't remember seeing her there.

Wendy

Real Name
    Peter

Re:Flower

Here's my first, bit boring but supposed to be working before going to a funeral later so pushed for time today.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast