Thread: Excitement mounts ... and there's still 12 months to go

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Excitement mounts ... and there's still 12 months to go

A while back I mentioned that after all that has gone on in my life in the past 12 months, I had now started to look forward, even to the point of thinking that I could go on holiday/vacation on my own in the future. I said that I was seriously looking at that trip-of-a-lifetime to Yosemite National Park. This would be a purely photographic expedition for me. All day, every day photographing.

Well, things are moving on apace.

What really surprised me, but I suppose I can understand it, is that you can only reserve a maximum of 7 nights stay at any one time in the various accommodations in the park. So, what I'm going to do is stay 7 nights in the park. Then the good folks at Tioga Pass Resort, just outside the eastern entrance to the park, in the High Sierra, have booked out a cabin for me for 10 days. Then I'll go back to stay in the park for 7 days. So, in all, I'll be there for 24 days. I know it is far more expensive staying in the park than staying outside, but I don't want a one hour + trip in and out every day. When? September 2016.

I've been in touch with the Ansel Adams gallery in the park and spoken to them about reserving a two-day personal guide at the start in order to get the 'inside track' on photographing in the park and be shown the locations that others might not find. A really nice guy, Kirk Keeler (http://www.kirkkeeler.com/photo-gallery/), has exchanged e-mails with me and we're getting that set up. And, of course, I'm already reading everything I think there is to read about photographing in Yosemite. But the idea of getting out to the eastern Sierra and places like Mono Lake, is also exciting.

This is going to be awesome. Like I say, this is my once-in-a-lifetime photo trip.
    Last edited by Donald; 2nd October 2015 at 05:14 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Excitement mounts ... and there's still 12 months to go

Nice way to go, I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Real Name
    Peter

Sounds like an excellent trip to me Donald, I would really like to have the opportunity to take s trip of this nature.

Real Name
    Dean

Sounds like a great trip, Donald. Enjoy!

Donald, if you haven't already you might want to consider reading John Muir's 'The Yosemite'. Readily available for purchase, it is also available as a free download at gutenburg.org.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by flashback View Post
    Donald, if you haven't already you might want to consider reading John Muir's 'The Yosemite'. Readily available for purchase, it is also available as a free download at gutenburg.org.
    Thank you, Jack. That is one that I hadn't been aware of. I will now start dropping hints as to what someone/anyone could buy me as a Christmas present!!

Real Name
    Dan

Good on you, Donald. I only visited Yosemite once and then only for a couple of days. It is definitely a place that takes some time to do anything meaningful from a photography perspective. And I suppose for an aficionado of B/W it is sort of like a pilgrimage to go there. So no doubt you'll really enjoy it.

You should be aware that over here we don't take kindly to rock kickers, particularly in places like Yosemite. So please try and control your impulses

Real Name
    Jim

You're in for a real treat Donald. An early warm welcome to our jewel of nature.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    You should be aware that over here we don't take kindly to rock kickers, particularly in places like Yosemite. So please try and control your impulses
    Yeh, I thought about taking on El Capitan ... but maybe not!

Real Name
    Allan Short

Donald, Mono in the evening shooting from the south west side is excellent, and you will just kick yourself it you do not stop a Bodie State Historic Park on 270 off of Hwy 395, it is a bit of a drive in I think about 13 miles, at about 25 mph or less. It does not have the smoothest surface in the world. If not enjoy your time in Yosemite.

Cheers: Allan
    Last edited by Polar01; 2nd October 2015 at 08:08 PM. Reason: it is not 25 miles but 13 miles off 395

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Donald, Mono in the evening shooting from the south west side is excellent, and you will just kick yourself it you do not stop a Bodie State Historic Park on 270 off of Hwy 395, it is a bit of a drive in I think about 20 miles, at about 25 mph or less. It does not have the smoothest surface in the world. If not enjoy your time in Yosemite.

Cheers: Allan
    Thank you, Allan. That's just the sort of information I need. Logged and will be taken with me for reference. I've been looking at images of Bodie. Looks wonderful.

Real Name
    Martin

A bit jealous here... I haven't been to Yosemite in 20+ years...

I am however looking forward to three weeks in Australia this time next year (just booked the four day Ghan)... and there's some early planning being done for walking Hadrian's Wall in late spring 2017!

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

You have chosen a nice month to travel over there...am jealous too. You'll be busy just preparing for this trip. I'd make a list of what to bring if I were you, but then, I am fond of making lists on planned trips. Also good for checking what you have and what you don't. Worst comes to worst when it comes to airport inspections, at least you can show them something or check what you have and what you lost along the way...but that is just me...

Real Name
    Erwin Rüegg

Hello Donald
    must be a great expedition. If you not already have it, have a look at:
    http://www.michaelfrye.com/books/books.html
    Erwin

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Krawuntzel View Post
    Hello Donald
    must be a great expedition. If you not already have it, have a look at:
    http://www.michaelfrye.com/books/books.html
    Erwin
    Thank you, Erwin. Yes, I already have Frye's, "The Photographer's Guide to Yosemite."

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    I am fond of making lists on planned trips.
    I'm with you on that, Izzie. I make lists for every trip I go on.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Donald, I have a great idea if your concerned about traveling with your gear...
    ship it to me and I'll deliver it to you upon landing.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Sounds like a great trip, Donald.

The USA South-West is a place that I've always wanted to visit, but as my wife has already been there, we tend to concentrate on other parts of the world.

The only comment I can make about "once-in-a-lifetime" trips is that they are habit forming and one always wants to do another one (and another one, etc.).

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    The only comment I can make about "once-in-a-lifetime" trips is that they are habit forming and one always wants to do another one (and another one, etc.).
    Yes indeed. I'll need to start thinking about where the next 'once-in-a-lifetime' trip will be!

Real Name
    Neville Dukes

That sounds great, Donald, and it is nice to have it planned so far in advance. You might consider restricting yourself to studio photography for the four weeks preceding the trip. Best to play it safe.